Old 03-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #11

I found the link.
Crappy shower valve replaced

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #12

I'm impressed with 1) the installation and 2) the bathroom sink. Is that a real china sink in the bathroom.

Mine has a rather cheap looking plastic one in the 1/2 bath and in the main bath.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:12 AM   #13

Phil, be careful in selecting a shower control. Many of them are single function, where there is only cold/hot mixing and full flow. You want one with two functions; mixing and flow control.
Hank
Old 03-26-2016, 07:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
I'm impressed with 1) the installation and 2) the bathroom sink. Is that a real china sink in the bathroom.

Mine has a rather cheap looking plastic one in the 1/2 bath and in the main bath.

Yes it is a real "China " sink. I got them at lowes for 50$. The original hole is almost to big but I feel comfortable with it. It catches a couple of inches. The original sinks and faucet were real light weight and cheap looking I agree.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Phil, be careful in selecting a shower control. Many of them are single function, where there is only cold/hot mixing and full flow. You want one with two functions; mixing and flow control.

Hank

I agree Hank and it might be awhile before I get to that project. I'm certainly no plumber. The link I shared has good info.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #16

Delta Lahara Thermostatic Shower Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Hank
I bought, but have not yet installed, the Delta Lahara shower valve T17238 in brushed stainless steel, that is cited elsewhere in this thread or threads linked from here. After carefully examining the documentation and reviews, I concluded that it is actually a thermostatically controlled valve, rather than merely a pressure balanced valve. Thus, it mixes hot and cold to maintain a specific temperature, which is what we really need, since our cold water temperature will vary with location and the hot water temperature will vary as the Girard or Atwood on-demand heater comes on and off.

The other type of valve is not so good, and it is often called a pressure-balanced valve. It mixes to maintain cold-hot pressure balance, which is a common problem in homes when someone flushes a toilet. Our RV problems are not with pressure balance, but in maintaining a consistent temperature.

I've got a couple of thermostatic shower heads (other brands) installed in my house and they work well.

Another advantage of this Lahara model is that the shower head has holes at the back, where air is presumably sucked into the water flow. It should give the feeling of more water volume, with low flow.

It's still winter, so I haven't installed or tested this, but I did careful research into this.

Delta Lahara 1-Handle Shower Only Faucet Trim Kit in Stainless (Valve Not Included)-T17238-SS - The Home Depot

–Gordon Sick
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #17

Gordon I will look forward to your review. I believe this is some I will do. I'm not a plumber so I'm a little concerned the job will be Beyond my capabilities.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #18

Phil
We all know you can do it. I am sure that is not beyond your capabilities. How are the knees doing?
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Gordon I will look forward to your review. I believe this is some I will do. I'm not a plumber so I'm a little concerned the job will be Beyond my capabilities.
Phil,

The job doesn't look outrageously difficult. I'll likely do the installation in late April or May when I bring the RV home to get it ready for the spring.

There is an access panel in the bedroom for the shower valve on our 34QS. You need to close the bedroom door to see it. When I looked at this, I find that the existing shower valve seems to be glued to a piece of scrap wood, which is glued to the shower wall. Not very impressive.

However, the Delta Rough-in valve body, which you need to buy separately, has an optional version (UNWSBWXT) that fastens nicely to thin fibreglass shower walls, so I hope this allows me to throw out the piece of wood.
Delta MultiChoice Universal Tub and Shower Valve Body Rough-in Kit-R10000-UNWSBXT - The Home Depot

It shouldn't require special plumbing skills, since the existing valve body is the same size and has PEX plumbing with Crimpex fittings. The clamping tools for PEX rings and Crimpex fittings used to be outrageously expensive ($300), but they recently fell to the $50 to $80 range. I assume they came off patent, so this cheap price might be only available in Canada. (I used to rent them, but now bought them with the price drop.) These kind of fittings are very easy to install and are used by professional plumbers – the popular Shark Bite fittings aren't used by pro plumbers.

–Gordon
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Phil
We all know you can do it. I am sure that is not beyond your capabilities. How are the knees doing?
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Counting the days. It was a tough week with Dianna gone and doing the plumbing I did. They are hurting.
How are you doing. All healed and feeling good I hope.

Tags
plumbing