Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #21

I agree with the group! We have a 2014 Berk with the 360/3000. We tow a Jeep Rubicon and have pulled it through Yellowstone, Yosemite, etc with no issues.
This forum is a tremendous resource, I've been able to DYI with many things using the forum as a resource. Also being able to call Randy at Forest River directly is awesome.
Know that there is NO such thing as getting a new, used Motor Coach and having no issues. You're about to invest in a vacation home that goes 70MPH down the interstate. Things shake loose and things break. It's the nature of the beast. That being said be assured that owning a Berk and being a part of this Forum you'll have tons of support.
Good luck with you're decision
Stephen
Old 03-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #22
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
I have an Allison 2500MH with 33,000 lbs towing capacity, which is also my GCWR. My GAWR front was upgraded to 12,000 lbs and my GAWR Rear is 17,500 lb. I am always fully loaded and therefore my GVWR is 29,500 lbs.

This means I can tow 3,500lbs. So if I went with the so-called Towing Capacity of 5,000 lbs; I'd be over.

Sorry to get the weight police activated, but I feel there is a lot of misunderstanding concerning towing capacity.
Hank
Yes, and you're one of the sources of the misunderstanding. Part of that is your incorrect use of terms, part of it is the fact that your situation is unusual.

So here is the $64,000 question for you:

WHAT DOES THE STICKER SAY IS YOUR GVWR?

GVWR is a number put on the vehicle by the (chassis) manufacturer, ie Freight Liner. When they upgraded your front axle did they increase you GVWR and CHANGE THE STICKER TO REFLECT THAT? What does the sticker in the kitchen or over your head in the cabinet say is the GVWR? THIS IS YOUR LEGAL GVWR..... (See photo)

Whether you're loaded or not doesn't matter. Your GVWR is what it is and it is a MAXIMUM FIXED number.

Your maximum towing capacity probably hasn't changed either. It is a FIXED number. 5000#. And it is not "so called" it is also a LEGAL NUMBER. If you load most buses in this category to the max GVWR there WILL be at least 5000# Left. If I were to take my bus empty, 25K, and subtracted that from the GCWR, I'd have 8000# left. Does NOT mean I could pull a trailer that weight because my TOWING CAPACITY (again a LEGAL number) is 5000#. In our case it is found on the hitch. NOTHING TO DO WITH THE HITCH ITSELF. Those Reese hitches are RATED for a LOT more, subject to other restrictions, which in our case are more restrictive.

Now, IF they increased your LEGAL GVWR (and upgrading the front axle by itself does NOT NOT NOT do that), they "stole" from your towing capacity and reduced it because they certainly didn't increase GCVWR, which indeed LEGALLY limited by the Allison Company. In that case they should have also changed the sticker on the hitch to LEGALLY change your Towing Capacity. In your case, indeed, 3500#. Bet you money they didn't. If they didn't change your GVWR and you're loaded to 29+ you are seriously legally overweight, PLUS you can only tow 3500# if you want to stay under GCVWR.

So, unless they LEGALLY changed it your TOWING CAPACITY is 5000#. Your GVWR is whatever the sticker says. If it's 29,5 and you load up to that than yes, you can only pull 3500#.

I will argue you all day long. Aside from the fact that I have a CDL and have formal training in this matter, I have been dealing with trucks, trailers and the LEGALITY of these matters for a long time. I know what I am talking about, and you are playing fast and loose with the terminology and not understanding some important LEGAL matters. I am not the weight police. I have pushed limits many times, and often it can be done safely albeit illegally, but I do understand the rules.

Again, what does your sticker say?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 1.50.55 PM.png
Views:	114
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	131923  
Old 03-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #23

I understood perfectly what Hank was saying. I didn't mean to start a argument. I'm just a new guy asking questions and really don't need to be in this disagreement.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #24
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckerburg View Post
I understood perfectly what Hank was saying. I didn't mean to start a argument. I'm just a new guy asking questions and really don't need to be in this disagreement.
You're not. This is a forum, the discussion goes where it goes, and it 's not an argument as far as I'm concerned. I am reacting to the fact that Hank is playing fast and loose with the terminology and the LEGAL issues.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #25

Well you said you will "argue with him all day long" so ok it's not an argument. I got my answer. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:05 AM   #26

I just bought a used 2012 - 390bh. and needed some factory phone support. I was very pleased with the fast response. This forum is one of the reasons I bought a Berkshire, as most people on here have had good factory support on new and used coaches.

In general I would think with the size of the trailer you are talking about you should be looking for something with a 15k tow capacity. Which may lead you to one of the newer xlt models with a tag axle.

If you can not weight the trailer, just add up the empty weight of the trailer and 2 cars plus 1000 lbs for stuff. That would at least be a start. My guess is you will be very close to 10k.

Best of luck with your search.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Yes, and you're one of the sources of the misunderstanding. Part of that is your incorrect use of terms, part of it is the fact that your situation is unusual.

So here is the $64,000 question for you:

WHAT DOES THE STICKER SAY IS YOUR GVWR?

GVWR is a number put on the vehicle by the (chassis) manufacturer, ie Freight Liner. When they upgraded your front axle did they increase you GVWR and CHANGE THE STICKER TO REFLECT THAT? What does the sticker in the kitchen or over your head in the cabinet say is the GVWR? THIS IS YOUR LEGAL GVWR..... (See photo)

Whether you're loaded or not doesn't matter. Your GVWR is what it is and it is a MAXIMUM FIXED number.

Your maximum towing capacity probably hasn't changed either. It is a FIXED number. 5000#. And it is not "so called" it is also a LEGAL NUMBER. If you load most buses in this category to the max GVWR there WILL be at least 5000# Left. If I were to take my bus empty, 25K, and subtracted that from the GCWR, I'd have 8000# left. Does NOT mean I could pull a trailer that weight because my TOWING CAPACITY (again a LEGAL number) is 5000#. In our case it is found on the hitch. NOTHING TO DO WITH THE HITCH ITSELF. Those Reese hitches are RATED for a LOT more, subject to other restrictions, which in our case are more restrictive.

Now, IF they increased your LEGAL GVWR (and upgrading the front axle by itself does NOT NOT NOT do that), they "stole" from your towing capacity and reduced it because they certainly didn't increase GCVWR, which indeed LEGALLY limited by the Allison Company. In that case they should have also changed the sticker on the hitch to LEGALLY change your Towing Capacity. In your case, indeed, 3500#. Bet you money they didn't. If they didn't change your GVWR and you're loaded to 29+ you are seriously legally overweight, PLUS you can only tow 3500# if you want to stay under GCVWR.

So, unless they LEGALLY changed it your TOWING CAPACITY is 5000#. Your GVWR is whatever the sticker says. If it's 29,5 and you load up to that than yes, you can only pull 3500#.

I will argue you all day long. Aside from the fact that I have a CDL and have formal training in this matter, I have been dealing with trucks, trailers and the LEGALITY of these matters for a long time. I know what I am talking about, and you are playing fast and loose with the terminology and not understanding some important LEGAL matters. I am not the weight police. I have pushed limits many times, and often it can be done safely albeit illegally, but I do understand the rules.

Again, what does your sticker say?
You're not. This is a forum, the discussion goes where it goes, and it 's not an argument as far as I'm concerned. I am reacting to the fact that Hank is playing fast and loose with the terminology and the LEGAL issues.
Oscarvan

I personally never say another person is wrong or add negative adjectives to another person's name or what they said. When I issue what I think is a fact, I mean this is my belief and I am interested in hearing out someone else's belief. Yes, issues and facts can be debated in a civil manner, but I see this may not be the case with you.

I am for helping out our forum members. I aim to be correct with my information, but believe me I do make mistakes and would never mind someone saying that they disagree.

I will never respond to any of your posts, but will continue to help my fellow Berkshire forum members.

Hank
Old 03-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #28

Hey Hank. Cheers!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #29
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Oscarvan

I personally never say another person is wrong or add negative adjectives to another person's name or what they said. When I issue what I think is a fact, I mean this is my belief and I am interested in hearing out someone else's belief. Yes, issues and facts can be debated in a civil manner, but I see this may not be the case with you.

I am for helping out our forum members. I aim to be correct with my information, but believe me I do make mistakes and would never mind someone saying that they disagree.

I will never respond to any of your posts, but will continue to help my fellow Berkshire forum members.

Hank
I don't believe I said anything negative about you as a person, nor did I intend to.

I pointed out where your statements were factually incorrect, and explained the meaning and legalities of some of the issues involved, which is MY way of helping fellow forum members. Better than someone taking your "facts" and possibly making the same mistakes, no?

So, if you're interested in helping, answer the question and tell us whether they upped your GVWR when they changed your front axle, AND did they change the sticker to reflect all of this?

As far as the meta discussion, I am done with that.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:44 PM   #30

Zuckerberg, you still interested in a Berkshire?
Old 03-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #31

Still shopping. Gotta find the right one.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckerburg View Post
Still shopping. Gotta find the right one.
Check the For Sale section of the Forums - I think there is one or two there.

Still...based on what you want to lug, you are probably want something in the XLT range.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
Old 03-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #33

Actually I think 2011 was the best year. I have a friend with a 2011 that has it loaded to the max pulling a big car and says he can do 75 up all the hills any day.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #34

Hi zuckerburg

Please read the private message that I sent you. Since you are new to the forum, go to the menu bar and click on User CP. Then look on the left for "Private Messages".

Hank