Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
nice thread here. glad everyone seems like they like their berkshires. the berkshire seems to be a jewel among all the class A Rvs out there. Seems like if you look through all the different RV brands, there's either crappy built ones or $300-$400k ones. best bang for the buck in my opinion.
Yes, very good value for money spent BUT...and this is a BIG BUT...Forest River for some odd reason (unlike their competitors, Tiffin, Entegra, and Newmar) explicitly refuse to warrant their coaches for Fulltime RV use. Not so with Entegra, Tiffin and Newmar - so I would STRONGLY Suggest that Forest River reconsider their position and cater to those of us who are choosing the fulltime lifestyle. I mean really, Spend a quarter or more of a million dollars on a unit that is only for "Occasional" use? Not us.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #142

I have never heard that one before
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:01 AM   #143

Bama Bob, how would FR even know if a person wasn't on a extended long trip or they were living in it full time? That's interesting, I also have never heard of that, are not most units put on a freightliner chassis and have there powertrain. I guess after the first year on the inside that they have the rest is with freightliner.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:18 AM   #144

from their web site- This has broke my heart. If I use my rv 18 days per month the warranty is void- that would be a deal breaker for me if I bought new.

"The Warrantor further makes no warranty with regard to any product used for commercial purposes, as a permanent or full time residence or as a rental unit, or any product not registered and normally used in the United States or Canada. For purposes of this warranty, it shall be deemed conclusive evidence of commercial purposes if the product is licensed, titled, registered, or insured in the name of any corporation, LLC, or any other form of business or commercial entity. "Full time" for the purposes of this warranty shall mean continuous occupation of the Recreational Vehicle for a period exceeding 30 days or 18 days per month in two or more consecutive months."
Old 09-12-2018, 04:41 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
from their web site- This has broke my heart. If I use my rv 18 days per month the warranty is void- that would be a deal breaker for me if I bought new.

"The Warrantor further makes no warranty with regard to any product used for commercial purposes, as a permanent or full time residence or as a rental unit, or any product not registered and normally used in the United States or Canada. For purposes of this warranty, it shall be deemed conclusive evidence of commercial purposes if the product is licensed, titled, registered, or insured in the name of any corporation, LLC, or any other form of business or commercial entity. "Full time" for the purposes of this warranty shall mean continuous occupation of the Recreational Vehicle for a period exceeding 30 days or 18 days per month in two or more consecutive months."
I still question how would they know how many days you use it for personnel use? Commercial yes, on how it is bought or registered but private maybe not.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #146
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
I agree, the only things that really make noise are: pots and pans, plates, silverware, wine glasses, liquor bottles, potatoes chip bags and the microwave glass base.
We use cabinet anti slip stuff on the "floor" of the cabinet, and in between plates. The glasses and cups are opening down and stay in place on the stuff. Things will move around a little but not too bad. Believe it or not "China" is an item on my LBCU checklist...... It's where I open the cabinet and wiggle everything to make sure they'll be quiet 'till the next stop.

https://www.amazon.com/Liner-Non-Adh...70_&dpSrc=srch

As far as the microwave... EMPTY. You know that little panel above it? Feel on the sides, grab the indentations and pull it straight towards you. Snaps right out. All the microwave racks in a towel, the plate on top. SHHHHHH!
Old 09-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #147

Quote:
I have never heard that one before
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Bama Bob, how would FR even know if a person wasn't on a extended long trip or they were living in it full time? That's interesting, I also have never heard of that, are not most units put on a freightliner chassis and have there powertrain. I guess after the first year on the inside that they have the rest is with freightliner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I still question how would they know how many days you use personal use? Commercial yes, on how it is bought or registered but private maybe not.

Simple - when you get insurance, they ask you explicitly if you are full time. So, there it is on the official record. So you are busted.

I am completely blown away that Forest River has taken this position - especially since this is their high-end Motorhome line. Shoot, 18 days a month is an ABSOLUTE JOKE! That is not even fulltime - that is just an active retired motorhome user.

I would suggest that folks considering a Berkshire look elsewhere unless they are just going to use their $220+K Motorhome on the occasional weekend.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #148

Just bought a 2018 38A and looking to tow my GMC 1500 Sierra. Any suggestions on tow bar? What brake integration do you use? Thanks for your help on this.
walby18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by walby18 View Post
Just bought a 2018 38A and looking to tow my GMC 1500 Sierra. Any suggestions on tow bar? What brake integration do you use? Thanks for your help on this.
(We also have 2018 38A) Some may differ, but the most popular tow bar is Blue Ox. We have an integrated brake controller for our toad (2013 Jeep Liberty). Ours is the SMI Stay-in-Play. Very popular. Flip one switch and you're on your way. Integrated vacuum type systems are simple but a bit time-consuming to install. Once you travel with it, you'll really be glad you chose that type. I highly recommend not getting the portable floor located brake controller. Besides my twice having had a four-wheel lockup, they are a pain to install and remove each time, require a place to store while not in use, and are suprisingly slow to react. (Have someone press brake in tow vehicle and see how slowly the floor models actuate. You'll be underwhelmed.) Tow brackets for the front of your vehicle are vehicle specific. Companies like eTrailer and Tweety's can give you the exact one for your specific Sierra model.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
(We also have 2018 38A) Some may differ, but the most popular tow bar is Blue Ox. We have an integrated brake controller for our toad (2013 Jeep Liberty). Ours is the SMI Stay-in-Play. Very popular. Flip one switch and you're on your way. Integrated vacuum type systems are simple but a bit time-consuming to install. Once you travel with it, you'll really be glad you chose that type. I highly recommend not getting the portable floor located brake controller. Besides my twice having had a four-wheel lockup, they are a pain to install and remove each time, require a place to store while not in use, and are suprisingly slow to react. (Have someone press brake in tow vehicle and see how slowly the floor models actuate. You'll be underwhelmed.) Tow brackets for the front of your vehicle are vehicle specific. Companies like eTrailer and Tweety's can give you the exact one for your specific Sierra model.
We use the SMI Air Force one - MUCH more simpler than the other brakes - all you do is attach the airline and go
Old 10-01-2018, 05:49 AM   #151

I’m not impressed with Tiffin build quality. It’s also getting to be very difficult to get warranty service. We have a 2013 390RB-60 which we still love. She’s got 42K miles on her and still gets us where we want to go. Yes we’ve had a few issues with her but all of the big ones were Chassis related.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
I’m not impressed with Tiffin build quality. It’s also getting to be very difficult to get warranty service. We have a 2013 390RB-60 which we still love. She’s got 42K miles on her and still gets us where we want to go. Yes we’ve had a few issues with her but all of the big ones were Chassis related.
I agree. We went to Red Bay and were not as nearly impressed as we were at Newmar & Entegra. We have some friends who just got a 2019 Tiffin and told u all sorts of horror stories watching their coach being built. We - as you - will take a pass on Tiffin
Old 10-06-2018, 11:58 PM   #153
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Simple - when you get insurance, they ask you explicitly if you are full time. So, there it is on the official record. So you are busted.

I am completely blown away that Forest River has taken this position - especially since this is their high-end Motorhome line. Shoot, 18 days a month is an ABSOLUTE JOKE! That is not even fulltime - that is just an active retired motorhome user.

I would suggest that folks considering a Berkshire look elsewhere unless they are just going to use their $220+K Motorhome on the occasional weekend.
Bob, you're surely not trying to tell people that you've not received warranty service from Forest River, despite having full-timed in your Berkshire for over two years, are you?

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #154

Rear view camera

Vince and Charlette, do you guys have any issues with your rear camera at night? I have a 2018 38A and while towing my truck, it kind of washes out with a blue background. It comes and goes and doesn’t seem to have any rhyme or reason to it.
walby18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:40 PM   #155

Quote:
Vince and Charlette, do you guys have any issues with your rear camera at night? I have a 2018 38A and while towing my truck, it kind of washes out with a blue background. It comes and goes and doesn’t seem to have any rhyme or reason to it.
We experience the same thing. It appears that there is no built-in adjustment in sensitivity for night. So, lights just completely wash out the screen.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
I agree. We went to Red Bay and were not as nearly impressed as we were at Newmar & Entegra. We have some friends who just got a 2019 Tiffin and told u all sorts of horror stories watching their coach being built. We - as you - will take a pass on Tiffin

Bob, I have to disagree with you on this one. Having moved from the Berk to a Tiffin for just over a year now, I can't begin to tell you about the build quality of this coach (Allegro Bus 45LP). Screws instead of staples, etc.

And the factory service at Tiffin is great. If you are under warranty, you go to the head of the line for factory service. If not, you get in line. Their tech folks are great and will do anything you tell them on your coach. If you have the time to take it to Red BaY, it sure beats handing if off to a dealership that more than likely knows nothing about a particular brand of coach.

And they have 4 rallies a year at different locations where the techs come to your coach just like FR.

Any how, I don't write this to disparage the Berk. I just wanted to defend Tiffin.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #157

Quote:
clean the lens on the outside. i had the same problem until i was washing the coach and wiped the lens clean. worked as it should after that ...... until it got dirty again
Old 11-29-2018, 06:38 PM   #158

Yep, clean the lens and you can see everything. I had a spiders web on mine and couldn't see anything until I cleaned it up
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 11-29-2018, 07:35 PM   #159

Quote:
Yep, clean the lens and you can see everything. I had a spiders web on mine and couldn't see anything until I cleaned it up
Don't tell me you quit drinking? And cleaned your act up again....[emoji1]

Old 11-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #160

Ok I won't because I didn't.
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough