Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #61

We have Directv and we get the locals when camping.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #62

With all your help, I feel that I am graduating from a newbie to a novice. My main intent of my original question was how do I receive network TV ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) while on the road! I just learned about Spot Beams to receive locals and DNS Service which is only available to RVers and truckers. With DNS, you can have your account set for either NY or LA and receive their channels no matter where you roam. Check out the link below:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=108846
Old 04-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #63
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

We're on DirecTV and we get local (ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC) when we travel. If it is out of the "spot beam" (market area), we simply call DirecTV support have switch our service address (NOT our billing address) to the campground we're at and about 20 minutes later... POOF! ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC in HD.

It's free and you can do it as often as you like.

One more reason we chose DirecTV.

Also, DirecTV has no restriction on taking your home's DVR
(or other equipment) on the road. In our case, I installed an extra Genie (C31) client in the bedroom, a Power Inserter (we have the SWiM setup), a splitter, 2 extra remotes and a power cable for the HD DVR in the RV. We bought the same dish (SL3) and a flat base mount off Craigslist ($50).

When we go, I simply unplug the DVR in the house, walk out and plug it in, in the RV. Setup takes all of about 20 minutes.

No extra charges, same great service, everywhere we go.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #64

FYI: Dish also has no restrictions on taking your home receiver on the road and we also can get local networks while on the road.... One major advantage is Dish provides HD at no additional charge....

I decided that taking the home receiver with me every time I hit the road was too much of a hassle so I bought a receiver strictly for my coach and only pay $7.00 a month for exactly same service I have at home.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #65
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

That's good info. One reason we still carry the DVR with us from the house, is so all our recorded programs are with us. (we are often several episodes behind).

Cheers

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC02 View Post
Anyone know how to locate the satellite prep cable in the roof? I am trying to figure out how to make a connection to a portable dish.
There is a "map" available from FR, if you bug them hard enough. I may still have copy around here somewhere. It's shows the inches (behind) from the front cap seam and inches (right) from the edge of the left side of the coach.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #67

Boowho: thanks for that info. I'll contact Randy to ask for it. In the interim, if you find it please post. Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #68

Berksire Satellite Prep

Just received the answer from Randy at FR:
The cable prep is located 48 inches from the inside edge of the front screw cover and 39.5 inches from the inside edge of the left side screw cover.

As far as access to the wires, Randy says: has to be cut...I would say 11/2" hole, it should dump you into a styrofoam channel, the wires are located in the channel you may have to take something like a clothes hanger with a hook and reach up forward to grab the cable.
Hope this helps anyone who may need it.
Safe travels and happy campin'!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Satelitte Prep.pdf (186.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #69

Looking at that drawing, looks correct. That is where my dish is mounted. I can take a picture of it on the roof if need be, may help with the location. Just let me know. The coach is just outside my house and very easy to take a pic if need be.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
Looking at that drawing, looks correct. That is where my dish is mounted. I can take a picture of it on the roof if need be, may help with the location. Just let me know. The coach is just outside my house and very easy to take a pic if need be.

Jason
Just to be extra cautious, I also traced mine with a signal tracer. It turned out to be exactly where FR said it was. Unfortunately, there was only a COAX; no 12 volt power source as most (if not all) roof antennas require.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Just to be extra cautious, I also traced mine with a signal tracer. It turned out to be exactly where FR said it was. Unfortunately, there was only a COAX; no 12 volt power source as most (if not all) roof antennas require.

Boowho??

I had mine installed when I ordered the coach, so not to sure about the 12v power. I actually think mine runs off of 120 VAC. It is the winegard travlr slimline direct tv HD dish. The reason I say this is because I have to have my generator or shore power hooked up for it to come out of the stow position and acquire the satellites. Same situation to stow it. Not sure how it gets the power though, would have to look at the manuals and see how they wired it.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #72

I read alot of posts, but don't reply very often. I'll tell all how I did mine. I installed my dish myself because I'm just too picky about workmanship. I used the Winegarg minimax, didn't need in motion. I looked at all the brands, and r ead all their installation instuctions. The biggest thing was the wing tv antenna above the drivers seat. All the domes have to be a certain distance away from things. The mini worked best and it is in the center of the roof above the tv cabinet. The panel in the top right of tv cab. has screws and thats where I drilled thru to roof. Pulled my power and coax down there. It took about an hour to do, but it took two days to get the nerve to drill thru roof. My dad laughed at me for the two days. It has worked like a dream and gotten signal every time. I use direct tv. If anyone wants a pic I can take some.

Mike
mcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #73

Sure would like to see your installation when you get a chance.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #74

Same here! Please post a pic or two showing how/where your dish is installed . Thanks
Old 04-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #75

Here is a pic, sorry about the pollen on the roof that time of year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1283.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	49660
Old 04-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #76
Mod free 5er

We have Dish @ home and pay for local channels. While we are on the road, we just call Dish and tell them where we are and within about 10 minutes we have the local channels in that area. Do it while we're in FL and all the places we travel. Don't call them if we just set up for a night or two, but if we're staying a week or more we do.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We have Dish @ home and pay for local channels. While we are on the road, we just call Dish and tell them where we are and within about 10 minutes we have the local channels in that area. Do it while we're in FL and all the places we travel. Don't call them if we just set up for a night or two, but if we're staying a week or more we do.

We have a similar setup for our seasonal site - have an extra box just for camper - $7 a month - we have Dish send it a new "hit" when we are ready and we get our same home market locals although we are in a different market
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #78

Sure looks great. Thank's for the pics. Question; how do you know where to drill the hole for the wires, without hitting a frame member?
Old 04-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #79

I seldom call dish for local channels.... Don't want it to screw up what I'm taping at home...

For locals while I'm on the road, I simply raise my crank up antenna, change my setting in my front box to auxi and have TV search for all local channels.... Then all I have to do is push selection button up front to select source for main TV - sat or auxi and I'm in business....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #80

I-RV, I have an eighth inch drill bit that is six inches long. I set the wire cover inside the tv cab. and measured from the wall and went up top and measured from outside of RV knowing wall is two inches thick. Drilled a pilot hole to make sure I didn't hit the framework. The twelve volt source I used was in the antenna power switch. I also ran both coax cables from dish inside for a second receiver or if my wire goes bad.

Mike

Tags
newbie, reception, satellite, tv reception