Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2015, 07:28 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
RKNOLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Pearl River, Louisiana
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Keeping my Berk company till we get back.

Russell
You counting down those days Russell? That cold weather and snow has got to be getting old huh?
Weather Channel says we can expect high 70's while we are in Charleston and Savannah so looks like shorts for sightseeing!!

Karen
__________________

__________________
Rick and Karen
2016 Berkshire 38A
2011 Honda CR-V toad FB
RKNOLA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 417
I would agree with many of you. My 2012 Berk has several if the things listed and most of the missing items are things that hold little.or no value for me.

I will be honest and say that I have not looked at a Newmar in the last year or two but my impression is as follows.

They make a very nicely finished MH however the price point is higher than the Berk.

Although the cabinets have a very nice finish, the design is goofy. Many are too small to be of any use.

I am very happy with our Berk and would not trade it for a Newmar.

As an aside.... having driven Tag axles in the past I can say that I am not a fan. Although it provides greater weight capacity ... I am not a fan of the handling. I personally would go out of my way to find a non-tag unit. But that's just me ...
__________________

__________________
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:44 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
CAT-RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
I would agree with many of you. My 2012 Berk has several if the things listed and most of the missing items are things that hold little.or no value for me.

I will be honest and say that I have not looked at a Newmar in the last year or two but my impression is as follows.

They make a very nicely finished MH however the price point is higher than the Berk.

Although the cabinets have a very nice finish, the design is goofy. Many are too small to be of any use.

I am very happy with our Berk and would not trade it for a Newmar.

As an aside.... having driven Tag axles in the past I can say that I am not a fan. Although it provides greater weight capacity ... I am not a fan of the handling. I personally would go out of my way to find a non-tag unit. But that's just me ...

I think I agree. I had a 38' older tag a few years ago. I didn't feel it helped that much. But that was years ago. I'm sure new coaches much better design.

I think 40' big enough for me for a long while. I don't need any more cargo capacity. So non-tag work well for me.

Russell
__________________
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
Bob, you need to go ahead and get that Berk. You seem to be putting it off for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
I agree. His money be molded if it set much longer !!

Russell
I'm holding out for a RB (the rumored 43C)
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #35
2011 Berkshire 390bh
 
wnytaxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western NY State
Posts: 688
We are one of those that have been kicking tires on either a Newmar Dutch Star or an Entegra Anthem. Both are a step above the Berk in features and also in price. Both companies have a good reputation of standing behind their product as does Forest River. One of the biggest advantage, if not the biggest advantage of the Newmar is the ability to customize to a great extent. That does come with a price. Entegra tends to follow the same pattern as Forest River in very few variations in floor plans. What you see is what you will get with both companies.

I think that one of the biggest differences that anyone shopping will find is the discounts offered from MSRP. Newmar tends to be pretty tight on margins for the dealers and discounts tend to top out at or near to 30%. Discounts on the Berks can run into the low to mid 30% range so that might tip the difference to the Berk.

The reason we looked at units other than the Berkshire were floor plans that would comfortably sleep at least 4, bath and a half, side radiator, and tag axle. At this point in time the Berk doesn't have something that checks all those boxes. Will they do that in the future? Perhaps.
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
More thoughts to compare the XLT vs Ventana.

MSRP is the big one. XLT is higher than Ventana! Albeit by only a few thousand dollars.

Chassis is similar, XLT getting the nod with the 450hp side radiator Cummins vs the 400hp rear radiator in the Ventana. They have the same tranny.

They both have passive steer axle, nod to Ventana for Comfort Drive and a beefier frame (STAR).

Now price after discount will be huge. When I bought mine I got a little over 32%, I read on the Newmar forum that discounts can range anywhere from 25% to 30%. So will someone please go buy one so we all know what the out the door price is.
I am interested as well - but not enough to make the mistake of a lifetime and buy SOB!

(Hmmm...the folks at Total Value RV might know if someone asked!)

You give some valid points to compare them Kevin. Since I have never been to THEIR factory I don't know if they build the house on the frame as well as Forest River does (3" block foam, wood insulation on steps, and those cool neoprene insulator strips between the subflooring and frame to dampen vibration)

I STILL want a VIP Smart Wheel PLEASE FR start including this on your XLTs -- aftermarket is a $3K+ mod
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We are one of those that have been kicking tires on either a Newmar Dutch Star or an Entegra Anthem. Both are a step above the Berk in features and also in price. Both companies have a good reputation of standing behind their product as does Forest River. One of the biggest advantage, if not the biggest advantage of the Newmar is the ability to customize to a great extent. That does come with a price. Entegra tends to follow the same pattern as Forest River in very few variations in floor plans. What you see is what you will get with both companies.

I think that one of the biggest differences that anyone shopping will find is the discounts offered from MSRP. Newmar tends to be pretty tight on margins for the dealers and discounts tend to top out at or near to 30%. Discounts on the Berks can run into the low to mid 30% range so that might tip the difference to the Berk.

The reason we looked at units other than the Berkshire were floor plans that would comfortably sleep at least 4, bath and a half, side radiator, and tag axle. At this point in time the Berk doesn't have something that checks all those boxes. Will they do that in the future? Perhaps.
Ed,

Have you considered a Charleston? It has a BH floorplan.
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #38
Go Seahawks!
 
Subsailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
I'm holding out for a RB (the rumored 43C)
I know Bob, just pulling your chain brother. That will be a great rig! -Glenn
__________________
Glenn and Darcy
2013 Berkshire 390RB
2013 Jeep Wrangler (toad)
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
I know Bob, just pulling your chain brother. That will be a great rig! -Glenn
Figured ya were

We are going up to MI in Feb to see Anne-Marie's mom. A stop by the Diesel division is DEFINATELY in the plans
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #40
2011 Berkshire 390bh
 
wnytaxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western NY State
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Ed,

Have you considered a Charleston? It has a BH floorplan.
Bob, I know the Charleston does have a bunk house but with our twins in college now, our needs for the bunk house have kind of gone by the wayside. We quite often travel with my wife's parents. We give them the bedroom and then we take the fold out bed in the living room. We also prefer the booth dinette to the table and chairs setup. Many of the rigs out there now use the 'J' couch which is a very small fold out bed. We need to be able to find a bath and a half with a booth and a king or queen fold out bed. Both Entegra and Forest River are lacking in that type of setup.....or at least at this point in time they are lacking.
__________________

__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
berkshire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.