Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyj View Post
I went on line (MCD Shades) and the shade is $780 for the front. The two sides come in at at $180 each or $360, so that puts us at $1140 for the materials. They have to run wire in the dash and find room on the dash for a new switch, as the 38A has only one switch for the front power shade. That leaves around $800 for the labor and switch. Anyway, it was a ballpark, but yes, I am sure I can save some by shopping around. Thanks again. BobbyJ

2016 38A Mystic Shadow.

Just looking at your dash online and see that the switches are different on ours. I have an extra space for an additional switch...but no usb port. Maybe you could take that out and put a switch there. Also, I love that floor plan. If I had kids, it would be awesome for the family.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #22

It is Nathantoesing that has the eye shades. MagnaShade does digital images on the front shade but it is double the cost of one without it. So you are looking at about $900.00ish
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #23

We had the magna shade on our old coach it was great! (the shade, not the coach). The day shades on the inside tend to hold the heat inside between the shade and the windshield. Having the outside shade really reduces the amount of sun and heat coming into the coach. Yes, it is on our "to do" list too. Roger should be at the Goshen rally, maybe we can talk him into giving us a discount!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
We had the magna shade on our old coach it was great! (the shade, not the coach). The day shades on the inside tend to hold the heat inside between the shade and the windshield. Having the outside shade really reduces the amount of sun and heat coming into the coach. Yes, it is on our "to do" list too. Roger should be at the Goshen rally, maybe we can talk him into giving us a discount!

Good luck with the discount. Roger don't budge to much.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #25
BobbyJ

Thanks, because of your research, I looked on line at the XL dash vs. the 38A dash and the plastic wood like dash cover is different for each. As you said, the one has room for a 5 pack switch and the other for a 6 pack switch board. Looks like to do this right I could remove the screws holding the plastic-like wood cover on the 38A and replace it with the XL faux-wood cover, along with a new switch bank to effectively make it like the XL models and have the needed switches on the dash for each shade. I am sure this is doable and will look at it after I pick up the coach. I have a call in to Tommy Hall at FR to help me with the conversion. He is a great help on issues like this, as I have worked with him in the past. Maybe I will buy the XL next year for my annual upgrade. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lies/smile.gif
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:25 AM   #26

Quote:
. Maybe I will buy the XL next year for my annual upgrade.
HAHA!

This does bring up a question though...

Given the cost of a single upgrade (Electric windshield shades) I wonder just what would it cost to aftermarket "upgrade" a Base Berk to a XL?

Does anyone know off hand what the price difference is between the 2 builds?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #27
BobbyJ

The XL is longer, has a larger engine, upgraded tranny, Flexsteel front seats, the aforementioned sunshades, and other improvements. The difference can be $30-$40K give or take. I just priced one at a dealer, before the haggling meeting. It was $209K for the 38 and $249K for the XL, showing $40K for this small sample. That is not the MSRP, but the supposed selling price. Cash and "what do we have to do to put you in this today" meeting can bring that down. Your trade can figure in this too, just like buying a car. I drove them both last week. Both were very nice. Rule of thumb for me is MSRP minus 25% just to get started. If you pay more than that you probably paid too much and made someone very happy. Hope this helps. Regards, Bobbyj.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #28

No Frontal Sunshades on 2016 Berkshire 38A!!

Quote:
The XL is longer, has a larger engine, upgraded tranny, Flexsteel front seats, the aforementioned sunshades, and other improvements. The difference can be $30-$40K give or take. I just priced one at a dealer, before the haggling meeting. It was $209K for the 38 and $249K for the XL, showing $40K for this small sample. That is not the MSRP, but the supposed selling price. Cash and "what do we have to do to put you in this today" meeting can bring that down. Your trade can figure in this too, just like buying a car. I drove them both last week. Both were very nice. Rule of thumb for me is MSRP minus 25% just to get started. If you pay more than that you probably paid too much and made someone very happy. Hope this helps. Regards, Bobbyj.

MHSRV has 2016 XL's listed for under $208k right now.

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:33 PM   #29

Quote:

Bobbyj, $249K puts you into XLT territory.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #30
BobbyJ

Thanks Paul and Rich,

Yep, Understand that particular dealer (in VA) was high on his "selling price" and MHSRV is the benchmark for pricing. I was mostly trying to answer the question asked by BamaBob; "How much more, i.e. the difference in the selling price of the XL vs the 38A?" So I think the number based upon MHSRV is around $30,000. $181K for 38, and $211K for the XL. I am sure that number can go higher if you are not dealing with MHSRV in Texas or Motorhomes 2 Go in Michigan. BTW, the dealer in VA came down to within $8,000 of MHSRV from his $249,000 (40XL) asking price, and they were very accommodating.

Best regards,

Bob

Tags
berkshire