Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

no power

Hi need some help. I was sitting in 2008 Berkshire 390QS hooked up to 50 amp service and the TV went out and the lights went dim. I checked the meter and had no volt on meter. Checked all breaker in MH and where I was plugged in to 50 amp service. I also checked transfer box in back were plug is located. On the inside were the inverter and charge system is it's reads low battery.
I need help
Thank you
Bill
bcullifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Have you actually been able to verify the 50 amp shore power where you are connected has power. That is where you need to start at, and work your way towards the RV

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:23 PM   #3

Try getting power from Generator, but that didn't work. thanks
Old 07-03-2018, 03:20 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcullifer View Post
Try getting power from Generator, but that didn't work. thanks
HMMM, you stated you have a transfer switch/box and that 'should' give priority to the generator when you turned it on.

The lights going dim is usual indicative of the battery depleting and/or the converter not functioning.... since the converter is what provides power to your RV's 12 volt DC items (like the lights) when connected to shore power or generator.

An inverter takes 12 volt dc and inverts it to 120 volt AC. Don't know if your television runs off the inverter, but possibly could unless it's maybe a 12 volt DC type television. This thread link below may help explain it better:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-152813.html

Are you getting 120 volt AC power to other things in your RV when connected to shore power or the generator? I'm asking this as it seems like at initial glance that maybe you are not getting 120 volt AC power either thru the shore power or the generator to the converter...thus things are running off the batteries and they are now depleted.

Trying to determine if it's a power connection issue, a converter issue, and/or an inverter application.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:10 AM   #5

I am not getting 120 volt AC to the in the MH to shore power or Generator.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:00 AM   #6

You were watching TV on inerter power. The breaker on the inverter tripped. It is a gray button top right corner on the inverter. Batteries were down as your inverter was making electricty from them for the tv. lights dimmed because the battery was down and inverter tripped. When you reset the inverter turn off the inverter and turn on the charger portion.

PM me if you want to discuss the Berk. I also have a 2008.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #7

Also as this is all 12 volt check the health of your house batteries. If the batteries are short of water they will stop working.
zuckerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #8

I would like to thank the one that responded to my post. I found the problem, It was a bad transfer switch box.
There was a recall on the one that is in my MH. Randy at FR told me and Jackie hopefully shipped the new out yesterday.
With that said I drain the houses batteries. Not able to get my slide outs in to get it repaired.
Thanks again
If anyone out there knows how I can trickle charge my 4, 6 volt batteries.
This all new to me. Had a gas MH for 12 years and never had a problem. This MH is about to make be swear.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcullifer View Post
I would like to thank the one that responded to my post. I found the problem, It was a bad transfer switch box.
There was a recall on the one that is in my MH. Randy at FR told me and Jackie hopefully shipped the new out yesterday.
With that said I drain the houses batteries. Not able to get my slide outs in to get it repaired.
Thanks again
If anyone out there knows how I can trickle charge my 4, 6 volt batteries.
This all new to me. Had a gas MH for 12 years and never had a problem. This MH is about to make be swear.
Not sure of what you mean by trickle charge, but it would take weeks to recharge 4- 6 volt batteries with a battery tender. If your trying to recharge them before you get that transfer switch installed, remove them and charge a pair at a time by wiring them in series the highest amp 12 volt charger you can get your hands on. Not knowing what you read NOW on each battery. Full 6 volt is about 6.35 - 6.4 volts (resting) and the pair about 12.7 vdc. Resting means after removing from charger, let it sit for several hours before reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-state-of-charge.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	178268  

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #10

Bill - as we discussed..... Have a local electrician come to ur house and replace the failed transfer switch with the new one.... Then give inverter time and it'll recharge the batteries....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #11

Thank you sir
Old 07-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #12

I replaced my own. It’s a easy job just take your time. Took a hour or so.
zuckerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #13

Thank you all for your reply.
Just want everyone to know it was not my Transfer switch Box that was bad, but I put in a new one anyway, because it was a recall.
But the real problem was my Inverter went BAD.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:00 PM   #14

To ask a question about taking the bad inverter out and putting in a new one.
Does it take a RV Tech to change it out, or can I get an electrician.
Thanks for any help

Tags
power