Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #1

Noise in the front....

......is driving me nuts!

Hello all,

I have a noise in the front wheel(s) area that I can hear coasting to a stop or beginning to take off. It can't be heard from the outside based on my DW and a neighbor listening to me come into the driveway. It is a low rub/squeak sound that occurs as the front wheel(s) rotates. Kind of reminds me of when, as a kid, my bike's brake pad would rub that one spot as you spun the wheel because the wheel was warped. The steering is not affected nor is breaking. I heard it on the way back from Myrtle Beach once but then never again until my last trip to Georgia. I was really listening for it then. I've crawled under and can't find any obvious "rubbed" spots.

Any ideas? Anyone else have or had this noise? I read a while back about bearings on someone's rig. Wouldn't that be really loud?

Looks like it might be a service call which will kill our next trip and cost a ton.

Thanks.
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:23 AM   #2

Do you have the stainless steel wheel simulators (340) or the aluminum wheels (360)?

I have the 340 and have the same noise. It is the simulators that make that noise. I've actually been doing some research on swapping them out for aluminum wheels because of the noise and difference in look.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #3

Search for the thread "Noise up front" from 10/12/14. Not sure if this is what you are hearing, but would be worth checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
romeofrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #4

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #5

If you have stainless steel wheel simulators like I do, its the simulators. The noise makes my expensive motorhome sound like a trash truck and is unnerving when pulling into a campground.

If you take the simulator off, you will find a thin rubber gasket running along the perimeter. If you have noise, sections of the rubber may be displaced or missing, This then allows the edge of the simulator to rest on the steel wheel. The weight of the motorhome causes the steel wheel to flex on the side towards the ground. This flex keeps changing position as the wheel moves and causes rubbing of the simulator on the steel rim's edge.

I fortunately had some thick felt with one side having adhesive (probably used on upholstery). I placed small pieces around the inside edge of the simulator. It worked and got rid of the sickening sound.

Hank
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #6

Hank,

That is what I'm thinking. I took the simulators off to install some valve extenders and noticed the rubber gasket. Mine was almost falling off. I tried to put it back on but must have failed. I'm going to try some weatherproofing strips that look identical the the current gasket and see if that solves it. Off to Lowes I go.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #7

When I had my '08 I had the same problem. I purchased some foam weather stripping that comes in a roll and has 1 side that will stick to the wheel. It worked great and got rid of the issue.
Tom

This is what I used.

Shop Frost King 0.375-in x 17-ft Gray Foam Door Weatherstrip at Lowes.com

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
When I had my '08 I had the same problem. I purchased some foam weather stripping that comes in a roll and has 1 side that will stick to the wheel. It worked great and got rid of the issue.
Tom

This is what I used.

Shop Frost King 0.375-in x 17-ft Gray Foam Door Weatherstrip at Lowes.com

Tom,

Did you attach it to the actual steel wheel or the simulator?

Thanks

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #9

Jason,
I put it on the simulator. Then, when you put the simulator on it will compress the foam and make a tighter seal. Or, you can spend $1500-$2000 on aluminum wheels (LOL!!).
The foam comes in various widths. Get some alcohol swabs (or something similar) and clean the simulator off first. That will make the foam stick better. I don't recall the exact width I used but, as I said, it worked fine.
Good luck.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #10

Be careful about a changeover from steel to aluminum wheels. You can spend a ton of money on the aluminum wheels and then find out that the wheel bolts are not long enough, Just an FYI tip!
Hank
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #11

$2.51 at Lowes for 17ft of foam weather stripping and very little work has solved my problem. It was the gasket around the cap edge. One came off in two pieces when I loosened the cap. Both were in really bad condition. Cleaned, replaced, and reinstalled and now.....total silence.

Thanks to all that responded.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJvike View Post
$2.51 at Lowes for 17ft of foam weather stripping and very little work has solved my problem. It was the gasket around the cap edge. One came off in two pieces when I loosened the cap. Both were in really bad condition. Cleaned, replaced, and reinstalled and now.....total silence.

Thanks to all that responded.
John, glad you got it figured out. Just saw this post this morning.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote