Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

Noise up front

We have a 2012 390BH60 and are experiencing a clunking noise on the front right side. Up until recently I assumed that the noise was coming from the Lippert Step that has been acting up since day one. (just replaced for the third time in less than 3 years.)

This forum has had some recent post with people experiencing the same noise. The suggested cause was a loose liner in wheel well. Several people said that they were able to eliminate the problem by reattaching the liner with a self taping screw.

I just crawled under the unit and low and behold there is movement in the liner that allows it to bang against the front edge of the MH step well.

My problem is as follows....

The liner is securely attached to the angle iron that is found on the lower leading edge of the liner .... there is however movement in the angle iron itself. Short of welding the angle iron to the front edge of the step well there does not appear to be an obvious was to prevent movement.

The angle iron is at right angle to the MH body with an attachment point that is covered in spray foam.

Any ideas?

Tim
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #2

Tim,
I took a piece of a noodle (the long plastic tubes use in pools) and cut it and put it in between the liner and the edge of the front fender (closest to the step on the bottom) with some gorilla glue. I then covered it with black undercoating. Seems to work fairly well.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #3

Thanks Tom

So do I understand you correctly that your angle iron piece also had movement in it.

Tim
Old 10-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #4

Tim,
No, my angle iron was solid. I just added the foam piece as an extra piece of insulation to help prevent any movement of the liner.
You said that the angle iron is at the lower leading edge of the liner. Did you look about mid-way up the liner for another bracket? On mine, there is a piece of angle iron about 1 foot up from the lower edge of the liner that I could attach it to.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #5

I was wrong ... The angle iron is about I foot up. It is not solid and can easily move back towards the step. Not what if anything it is attached to on the MH side. I am wondering if the only thing securing it is the spray foam
Old 10-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #6

Tim

As I recall ours was the same. We through bolted the bottom and added another self tapping screw in an abundance of caution. No more noise.
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
Cyclone

I used a long bolt through the the bar and the back wall of the step well. It's a screw head on the inside so you can't see it. I then sealed it with silicone on the inside and spray foam on the outside.

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #8

Beipers

Can you please post photos