Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #1

Not the smoothest Berk 38A trip in the books.

1st. My Garmin RV 760LMT GPS failed me. I put the Campground in by name, the correct address showed up, but it ended up taking me to the Administrative complex for the campground, some 18 miles away from the real campground.

Then, we ended up taking about 7 miles of dirt roads to the real campground.

2nd. Once there, while backing in to my site, only 12 feet from turning off the engine, the Check Engine light came on. After a night of worry, called Freightliner, got an appointment at the nearest place (18 miles away) after 2 computer hookups, they just reset the error and it never came on again. Fluke? The error had said the DEF pump heater was always ON. If it was, it was really, really, wrong as it was 80 degrees outside. Good news, no charge.

3rd. My Residential Frigidaire Only the Freezer was working well, the bottom was hovering around 55 degrees. Had to throw out 3 types of milk, hamburger, brats, and bacon. NO, not the bacon!!! No maintenance people in the zip code I was in was found in the area. I was in a suburb of Detroit!!
Still have to work on that now that I'm back in Green Bay.

We ended up Freezing bottles of water and switching them out inside the fridge.

4th. An hour after all of the above, I got the call no parent wants to hear, "Dad, I was just in a car accident" Daughter OK, Other Driver OK, Cars not so OK. Oh well. That's not the Berk's fault.

Other than the above, the rest of the week went well, and the return trip, went well, except for the 50-60 mile an hour wind and rain. But the sun came out, just in time when I got to the dump station. Small miracles.
bb920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #2

Sorry that all happened Bill, but good that you guys and your daughter are okay. I am confident you would have much better luck if you were a Seattle Seahawks fan...

Just kidding, hope the next trip is much smoother.

-Glenn
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
Sorry that all happened Bill, but good that you guys and your daughter are okay. I am confident you would have much better luck if you were a Seattle Seahawks fan...

Just kidding, hope the next trip is much smoother.

-Glenn
Whats a Seattle Seahawks fan ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #4

Hi Bill,
We had that problem with our fridge too. It was a fan that forces air down from the freezer into the fridge area. It helps with defrosting the freezer. (not sure what the official name of the part is). Fridigaire was quick, 1 call to them, repair man came out the same day. If he would have had the part on his truck (you know they NEVER have the part on the truck!!) the repair would have been the same day. A 2 day wait for the part and it was fixed. Eazy Peezy! (well until the bacon spoils... then we are talking pandemonium!!!!).
I am glad your daughter and the other driver are both ok. (Sorry about the car). Good luck with the repairs, hopefully your next trip will be less eventful!!!
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #5

Karen,
I'm not sure if it was just a typo or not but is the make of the refrigerator you have a Frigidaire? I thought that FR only put Whirlpool's in their coaches.
Just curious.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

Yep, it is a Frigidaire.

I felt sort of stupid, I brought it to our local RV dealer to figure out how to remove the fridge from the hole. Duh Only two stupid little screws and it came popping out. Really should have tried to do that by myself before bringing it in. At least they didn't charge me. Thanks, Van Boxtel!!

Appointment with local Frigidaire repair man on Monday 8 to 12 window
Old 06-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #7

Other small updates:

Check Engine light never Returned.

Blinking Dash lights, so far, have not ever returned.

Atwood Hot Water heater has not reset since the weather has been above 32 degrees.
However, still having long stints of cold water in the middle of a shower.
But at least eventually, it comes back to hot.

Slide out cable protector that broke. I was able to pull it up to the next rung, zip tie it back in place. The question is, why is it not centered in the slot that it runs through.
This is what I'm talking about here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide-out2.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	110724  
Old 06-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Karen,
I'm not sure if it was just a typo or not but is the make of the refrigerator you have a Frigidaire? I thought that FR only put Whirlpool's in their coaches.
Just curious.
Tom
Yes Tom ours fridge is a Frigidaire.
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
Old 06-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb920 View Post
Other small updates:

Check Engine light never Returned.

Blinking Dash lights, so far, have not ever returned.

Atwood Hot Water heater has not reset since the weather has been above 32 degrees.
However, still having long stints of cold water in the middle of a shower.
But at least eventually, it comes back to hot.

Slide out cable protector that broke. I was able to pull it up to the next rung, zip tie it back in place. The question is, why is it not centered in the slot that it runs through.
This is what I'm talking about here:
on the youtube video that someone shared the guy says "incorrect bracket placement is responsible for 98% of slide cable failures so make sure your cable runs evenly through the bracket".
I don't know why someone that installed the bracket can't be tasked with making sure it is straight and not causing the cable to bind..... but what do I know???
2011 Honda CR-V toad
Old 06-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #10

We're just back from the island up in B.C. and had issues with our residential fridge too. Our first time taking it out 1000 + miles each way. Ended up throwing out food twice. Called the dealer this week and can't get the coach in before mid July. Had a appliance repairman come yesterday and he's coming back today. $371 out of our pockets for a "special fan."

Reading about a recall didn't set too well being that far away. The atwood tankless hot water is okay but didn't work very well with low water pressure. Seemed backwards because the first and last campsite the heater worked great with it's high water pressure.
Bud Ezekiel H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #11

Did the refrigerator have to be removed?
secfan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #12

No, but I did pull the fridge out. Way too EZ 2 #10 square head screws. And out it came. Light too, when empty.

But you don't need it out, they must pull the ice maker and rack out. Then replace the fan in the back of the freezer.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #13

Thank you for the quick reply. I appreciate the information
secfan90 is offline   Reply With Quote