Old 03-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by plootsa View Post
2013 Berkshire the jack piston went right through the jack pad also and through 2 2x12 treated boards .this happened on all 4 pads i now have 4 new ones .different style gusets are installed on the new pads which my 08 berkshire had.Also the jack pistons i think are too small of a diameter for a 28,000 unit

Troubling to hear that this has happened more than once. OUCH!!!

Now we all can just sit around waiting for one or more jack pads fail. The tech at equalizer systems said he'd only seen the problem a couple of times. I can tell you it's a REAL shock when it happens.

And as far as going thru the boards, once the metal was compromised the boards never had a chance!!

Finally, each jack should bear no more that 7000 lbs. I'd think that those pistons are more than adequate for that much weight.

Boowho??

Old 03-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #12

Thats why i read these posts so if it happens to me I won't be freaked out as much. That must have scared the crap out of you. Thanks for posting the problem and the fix it helps out a lot.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
Berkshire 390QS

Did you get stronger jack pads? If so where and how do they install?
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Did you get stronger jack pads? If so where and how do they install?
I got two (one for a spare) from Eq Systems and they appear to be identical to the original.

As far as installation, there is a single bolt that screws into the end of the ram and holds the plate from falling off when retracted. The bolt appears to have no stress on it when the jacks are down. It takes LARGE Allen wrench to loosen/tighten it.

However, getting the old bolt out if it's stuck badly might be iffy since holding the piston to prevent rotation while unscrewing the old bold could be tricky. Don't want to scratch the polished piston with a vice grips for example. I'm thinking one of those rubber strap oil filter removal wrenches might do the trick.

I'm probably just going to let my tech do the job.

HTH

Boowho??
Old 03-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #15

boo,
Does the pad rotate on the piston? If not, you could hold the pad. I am looking to replace a pad also (I bent mine when I was at Freightliner in Gaffney and I lowered the jack and it hit one of those wedged shaped concrete bumbers that are in the front of parking spaces). When I spoke to the person at Equalizer, she said that if you use an impact wrench, I will break the locktite that they put on and the screw holding the pad will come out.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
boo,
Does the pad rotate on the piston? If not, you could hold the pad. I am looking to replace a pad also (I bent mine when I was at Freightliner in Gaffney and I lowered the jack and it hit one of those wedged shaped concrete bumbers that are in the front of parking spaces). When I spoke to the person at Equalizer, she said that if you use an impact wrench, I will break the locktite that they put on and the screw holding the pad will come out.

Oh, Sheeesh.... Locktite!!! I hope it's at least not RED. As far rotation of the pad, I don't know for certain. The bolt that holds the pad on is shaped like a funnel and the bottom of the piston is rounded. This gives the appearance of a V-belt pulley; I assume the jackpad itself is positioned within that V-shaped groove so it can tilt a bit and therefore rotate as well.

An impact wrench may be the only solution.... It will need an Allen wrench fitting and a pretty big one.... Looks like at least 1/2 inch

HTH

Boowho??
Old 03-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
For some reason the hydraulic piston forced it's way right through the jack pad and went straight into the ground several inches!!
I was a little surprised to read this. You know what comes to mind.....the "warning" to never use the leveling jacks to raise the coach to do service work or change tires. Brings a new reality to the table doesn't it.

I had trouble with my leveling system the first season we used it. It would insist on adjusting the height in auto mode until it had the front wheels off the ground, sometimes by 3 inches. I reset/adjusted the system according to the manual but that was a short term fix. I learned, and then practiced, leveling the coach manually and have never looked back. I can do a much better job than the computer chip it turns out, and all the tires will still be on the ground.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
I was a little surprised to read this. You know what comes to mind.....the "warning" to never use the leveling jacks to raise the coach to do service work or change tires. Brings a new reality to the table doesn't it.

I had trouble with my leveling system the first season we used it. It would insist on adjusting the height in auto mode until it had the front wheels off the ground, sometimes by 3 inches. I reset/adjusted the system according to the manual but that was a short term fix. I learned, and then practiced, leveling the coach manually and have never looked back. I can do a much better job than the computer chip it turns out, and all the tires will still be on the ground.

Roll

Interesting to hear about the wheels being completely off the ground. I was told that the computer's job is to get the coach level, BUT to do it as low as possible. I LOVE my single button leveling. Works first time, every time.

I've also heard (maybe old wives tale??) that parking long term with the wheels dangling could be bad for the suspension.

Boowho??
Old 03-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #19

I would never park when my wheels were off the ground- even short term. If I can't get level wilth all 4 wheels on the ground, I ask for a different site. I also started to put blocks under my jacks when parked and covered for the winter so that when the air bags lose pressurization and the coach sinks, it only sinks 1 or 2 inches and the jacks then come in contact with the blocks. This way there is no excessive weight or stress on the suspension over the winter.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote