Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

NYS RV "R" endorsement road test

I took my road test in Batavia, NY this am, the evaluator had me pull away from the curb and make a right turn, then 3 more right turns..."i said if you wanted me to go left i could have just turned left." He just looked at me...... So I continued, finally made a left, stopped backed up and then parked. He got up handed me a slip and said good to go, " we never did an RV around here before, i wasn't sure you were going to make those turns". So now I'm legal...of course NYS wanted their $17.50 for the effort and $10 for the permit.

3rd generation Disabled Veteran, oldest son is 4th Generation Disabled Veteran...its a family tradition.
Scokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scokat View Post
I took my road test in Batavia, NY this am, the evaluator had me pull away from the curb and make a right turn, then 3 more right turns..."i said if you wanted me to go left i could have just turned left." He just looked at me...... So I continued, finally made a left, stopped backed up and then parked. He got up handed me a slip and said good to go, " we never did an RV around here before, i wasn't sure you were going to make those turns". So now I'm legal...of course NYS wanted their $17.50 for the effort and $10 for the permit.
WOW - $27.50 and now you are legal and NYS is $27.50 richer. Sounds like another legal rip off to me.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Scokat, I haven't gotten legal yet. I've only driven my rig for the last two years with a regular license. I guess I'll have to break down and take the test. The test is given here in Orchard Park so I don't have to go far.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
WOW - $27.50 and now you are legal and NYS is $27.50 richer. Sounds like another legal rip off to me.
And that surprises you?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Huh a certificate to pull or drive an rv .
Never heard of such a thing.

Do you Have to go through weigh scales to ?

Any other requirements ?

If you have a class a cdl does that work instead of r certificate ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:

This is our costs:
The knowledge test costs $15 and the road test $50 for anyone under 65 years old. There’s also a $75 fee for your new 5 year photo driver’s licence. Your doctor may also charge a fee for the completion of a medical report.

Yup, a rip off.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
And that surprises you?
No not really considering it is a NYS requirement.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Huh a certificate to pull or drive an rv .
Never heard of such a thing.

Do you Have to go through weigh scales to ?

Any other requirements ?

If you have a class a cdl does that work instead of r certificate ?
f1100turbo, you wouldn't believe how expensive it is in NY state even to just visit, let alone living there. Simply unbelievable the fees, taxes, tolls, etc. are ridiculous and I just went there for Lockheed on business about every month. Don't know how anyone retires there on a limited income.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
f1100turbo, you wouldn't believe how expensive it is in NY state even to just visit, let alone living there. Simply unbelievable the fees, taxes, tolls, etc. are ridiculous and I just went there for Lockheed on business about every month. Don't know how anyone retires there on a limited income.
I can only second that. We went home to upstate NY in April and were amazed at all of the tolls, taxes and other fees as mentioned here.

The only good thing I can say is that upstate NY contains some beautiful scenery and if you have never been to upstate NY, don't think that all of NY state is like the areas around NYC.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #10

I know I'll catch a lot of flak about this but, I wish EVERY state would require drivers to be licensed to drive/tow the RV type they have. I also think it needs to be more specific then NYS makes it, i.e. 1 endorsement for TT, 1 for 5th wheel, and 1 for MH's, also size specific, i.e. TT and 5th wheels under 30', another for TT and 5th wheels over 30', also the same for MH's. I've seen way too many perople out there driving/towing with no idea what they're doing. Licensing test should also include a mechanical protion with the examiner inspection the TT hook-up/WD setup, and MH test including Toad and tow bar setup.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy
I know I'll catch a lot of flak about this but, I wish EVERY state would require drivers to be licensed to drive/tow the RV type they have. I also think it needs to be more specific then NYS makes it, i.e. 1 endorsement for TT, 1 for 5th wheel, and 1 for MH's, also size specific, i.e. TT and 5th wheels under 30', another for TT and 5th wheels over 30', also the same for MH's. I've seen way too many perople out there driving/towing with no idea what they're doing. Licensing test should also include a mechanical protion with the examiner inspection the TT hook-up/WD setup, and MH test including Toad and tow bar setup.
X2
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...The only good thing I can say is that upstate NY contains some beautiful scenery and if you have never been to upstate NY, don't think that all of NY state is like the areas around NYC.
I agree wholeheartedly with B47. Besides the beautiful scenery, it seems like the people are much friendlier!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Also include in the testing some sort of reaction time test. Have seen way too many folks driving MH's especially that can barely walk or in wheel chairs that are driving. Scarey! Even dealers will tell you it is scarey that people that have never driven anything but a car can buy a 42' MH and drive it off the lot with no experience whatsoever.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

More importantly than an endorsement on your license, there should be a prerequired training course on prior to a driving test. An informative course than explains the who, when, why, what, and how's of driving/hitching/towing with an R/V.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
B47

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly with B47. Besides the beautiful scenery, it seems like the people are much friendlier!
dunnnc is correct here - I forgot to mention the people
Old 08-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
lindy - you won't be getting any flak from me on your statement here. I agree with you that it should be a requirement in EVERY state and should be much more intensive that what was reported about the NYS test. If it was a nationwide requirement I would be one of the first to take it.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #17
2011 Berkshire 390bh

NY is not the only state that requires special licensing for RV's over 40 feet or over 26,000 pounds. It is getting to be more common and is probably a good thing.

Someone mentioned the costs to live here in Upstate NY and what surprises many is that it is cheaper to live here than many states for retirees. There is no tax on Social Security income and your first $20,000 of retirement income is exempt for each person over 59 and a half and government pensions are not taxed at all. No personal property taxes either.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #18

For what these units cost new, I would like to see dealers get a little more involved- at least have an experienced driver take ones rig for a short spin with them in the passenger seat, so they can see first hand how much wider you need to take corners and how much extra braking distance is required. Then switch seats so the experienced driver can offer advice/ caution.

Another thing I would like to see dealers do and I think would generate some extra business is to hold seminars on how to properly hook-up and utilize everything form a basic hitch to WDH to 5ver.

Just a thought here, with insurance companies always trying to figure out ways to hand out "discounts" to entice people to insure with them I wonder if maybe the manufactures were to get together and design a "RV 101 Safety Course" with certification, insurance companies might reward this with a little price break. I'm thinking with support from suppliers (hitch, axle, tire and the like) on how to properly use and check them, many accidents and safety hazards could be avoided.
Family Camper's -'96 Coleman SunValley;'00 Forest River Shamrock 25'; '12 Keystone Raptor 41'
strokendiesel002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #19
William

I couldn't disagree more. Sounds like a "hobbie" tax to me. Next thing you know, we'll have to have a license to tow our boats. Once it starts, it doesn't stop.

William
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Sounds like a "hobbie" tax to me. Next thing you know, we'll have to have a license to tow our boats. Once it starts, it doesn't stop.

William
Ever sit down at the ramp and watch some people try to back in the trailer to launch their boat? Pure entertainment.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote