Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Odd occurrence

My buddy and I were out this weekend and both of our house batteries had died and we had to started by using the transfer switch. I hold the transfer switch in and I start the generator and the generator started we try this on my buddies unit and it didn't work we would have to hold the transfer switch down in order to keep his generator going we tried it for up to 10 minutes and it still failed when you released the transfer switch the genny stops.

Also an odd thing in my vehicle is the transfer switch every now and again the light blinks as if it's on but it's not... just odd

Mine is a 2014 400bh-60 and his is a 2014 409gl-60

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #2

I'm assuming you are talking about the aux start switch on the dash. This switch is used when your chassis battery dies or is low and you need the extra power from the house batteries to start the coach. Your inverter / charger charges the house batteries first while plugged into shore power then once they are full, it charges the chassis batteries. When it is charging the chassis batteries, your switch will flash occasionally, this is how you know your system is working properly. When the coach is on and not plugged in, the alternator charges the chassis batteries first and then once full, charge the house batteries. I know this because my switch on the inverter that switches between chassis and house failed and I had to have it replaced.

Not sure why his generator will not remain running though... I would use a battery tender or charger and plug it into your coach and charge his battery back up, or start the motorhome and let it charge the house batteries back up.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #3

Thanks. What we had were dead house battery's and when you tried to start the generator there was nothing. So I hit the switch and held it in and the started the generator so it appears to me power crossed over from chassis to house.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #4

That switch when held in basically connects all your batteries together for an extra boost so makes sense if the house ones were dead, when held in, gave you the juice to start the generator.

I would check his connections at the batteries. If it stalls once you let go of the switch, sounds like the batteries may be good but loose connection. I'd throw a colt meter on them and tighten everything down...

Jason.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #5

Volt meter....
Old 11-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #6

Thanks... We'll look at that.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
Your inverter / charger charges the house batteries first while plugged into shore power then once they are full, it charges the chassis batteries. When it is charging the chassis batteries, your switch will flash occasionally, this is how you know your system is working properly.

Jason
Glad to find this. It was bugging the crap out of me. Thanks
Old 11-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #8

Just wondering, if you started the drive engine, then started the generator, would it have worked?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV245 View Post
Just wondering, if you started the drive engine, then started the generator, would it have worked?

Generator is hooked to the house batteries for starting. So if his cables are loose or other issues and not getting voltage from the batteries, I would think having the engine running or not would not make a difference. Only holding the Aux start switch in would make it work due to the connection to all batteries when held in.

Jason
Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
That switch when held in basically connects all your batteries together for an extra boost so makes sense if the house ones were dead, when held in, gave you the juice to start the generator.

I would check his connections at the batteries. If it stalls once you let go of the switch, sounds like the batteries may be good but loose connection. I'd throw a colt meter on them and tighten everything down...

Jason.
But the genny has its own alternator for running. External power (battery 12 volt) needed only for start. Not sure about fuel pump though.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #11
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
But the genny has its own alternator for running. External power (battery 12 volt) needed only for start. Not sure about fuel pump though.
This is not true. On our version of generator there is no local 12v source. It requires good batteries to power the ECU. It also requires a good converter to charge the batteries to keep up the 12v source. When the generator died, I'd bet you saw the light blink on the switch. This indicates an error code. When mine did this, it showed that the ECU volts were to low. If your house batteries are really dead, you need to hold the aux switch long enough for the change over switch for shore power to change and for the inverter to start charging the batteries. Don't ask how i know this.

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #12

When house batteries are charging, and reach 13.3 volts, the isolator switch closes, and then the chassis batteries also receive a charge. The switch also closes when the drive engine is charging the chassis batteries and 13.3 volts are detected and then the house batteries receive charge. This switch closure is indicated by the aux start switch lamp dimly lit. When no charging occurs, and voltage drops, the isolator switch opens, the aux switch lamp goes out, so that the chassis batteries are less likely to discharge to the level that the drive engine will not start. The aux start switch is a manual control to the isolator switch.

NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #13

As a related side note, do you know how to use the Automatic Generator Start to keep you batteries charged?
Should eliminate the issue in the future.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #14

Yes we do but I don't typically set it on short trips. He said he set his to gen up at 10volts. I heard it go on once and thought oops I didn't set mine. I will start my trips now with AGS.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #15

Old 11-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #16

10 volts on the AGS? Maybe part of the problem. See chart:

Mine is set to AGS at 12.0 volts.

Not sure what length trip you would not use it, but for us, if we do not have campground power the residential fridge pulls the battery down to about 12.0 volts within 6-8 hours max.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #17

That's right, you're talking diesel genny. They have glow plugs. No alternator needed. Sorry.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #18

Even though the cabin batteries are deep cycle type; for good life of the batteries, they should not be drawn down below 12 volts.
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #19

Thanks for the info. I'm going to print it for my binder. Also add it to the list of what not to do again! The list is big and growing!