Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #1

Odor in 2016 Berkshire

We purchased a 2016 Berkshire 38-A in August. There was a strong chemical smell. The salesman said it was a "new Smell" and it would go away. We complained to the service dept. about it in January. Again we were told it was a "new smell". This odor absorbs into food, plastic, paper goods, clothing, boxes of crackers, cereal, etc. The food has to be thrown out. It burns our nose and throat. We checked out other 38-A and they do not have this smell. It is a strong chemical smell. Anyone else have this problem?
richphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #2

Odor in 2016 Berkshire

Hard to tell if you are speaking of the formaldehyde smell that every camper has or some other smell.

I do know that some people are affected more by it than others. Do you have a friend or neighbor that is familiar with RVs check it out for you to see if it affects them the same way.

My RV is almost 3 years old and still has that faint smell. We call it a new RV smell. It doesn't bother us or get into our food taste.

ETA.....welcome to the forum and the Berk family.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #3

The DW has complained about a smell in our 2015 Berk RB but so far no one at FR has smelled it or will admit it. We did notice a strong smell this weekend while attending an RV show but I can't tell you if it was a FR unit or competitor. I think the materials used are causing the smell hopefully it is not dangerous.

Wayne
Old 01-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #4

Odor in Berkshire 38-A

Hi Campin Cajun, thanks for your reply,
We have done everything suggested for getting a formaldehyde smell out. But this strong odor still exists. We have even used a Ozone Machine in it for a day and a half and it did not change. I was told that after the FEMA trailers problem after hurricane Katrina, the RV companies can no longer use the products that have the formaldehyde in them except for some of the glue. Not knowing whether that is a true fact or not. We have been in 4 new coaches just like ours and they do not have that odor. Was hoping someone else had this problem and had a solution. Thanks
Old 01-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

We are hoping his odor is not toxic. It does burn our throats and nose an since it absorbs into clothing and foods, it is probably not too safe
Old 01-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #6

Have you tried fresh coffee grounds yet?

Use a disposable shallow aluminum pan, cover the bottom at least 1/4 inch deep with the coffee.

Place some in the bathroom, bedroom and the living/kitchen area.

Allow it to sit for 24 hours.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #7

Hi Ford Idaho,
I will try the coffee grounds. Up for any suggestions. It smells like maybe a stain on the wood. Like maybe the stain in the wood was not sealed. Crazy huh?

thanks will reply if it works or not.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #8

I am not sure it will work for you but it is easy and cheap.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:45 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1453164181.383640.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	98025
Call Randy at FR Diesel division warranty. Be persistent he responds better to phone calls. Email follow up for record keeping is s good idea.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like the smell all rvs have when new. It can be very strong. I'm a big believer in zeolite crystals. They have worked great on sell kinds of odors from mildew in our old tt to new camper chemical smell in our fiver. They are rechargeable so you only need to buy them once. To recharge you just set them in the sun for 6-8 hrs.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #11

Rich how long have you owned the Berk?

Another suggestion would be to open the window and turn on the exhaust fans in the bathroom and kitchen for a day or so.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:12 AM   #12

Odor in 2016 Berkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by richphyl View Post
Hi Campin Cajun, thanks for your reply,
We have done everything suggested for getting a formaldehyde smell out. But this strong odor still exists. We have even used a Ozone Machine in it for a day and a half and it did not change. I was told that after the FEMA trailers problem after hurricane Katrina, the RV companies can no longer use the products that have the formaldehyde in them except for some of the glue. Not knowing whether that is a true fact or not. We have been in 4 new coaches just like ours and they do not have that odor. Was hoping someone else had this problem and had a solution. Thanks

I let my DW read your OP and said see I'm not imagining this. Then she pulled out a purse that has not been in MH for months and it still has the smell. Since the purse was in the wardrobe we think it's coming from there. We tried cedar blocks but those did nothing so now I'm going to try the zeolite crystals recommended by asquared not expensive so if it does nothing not out much pocket change. As I said earlier when I took it back to FR for service they all looked at me like I had a third eye but if you work around these fumes everyday you will not smell it.

Wayne
Old 01-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
It sounds like the smell all rvs have when new. It can be very strong. I'm a big believer in zeolite crystals. They have worked great on sell kinds of odors from mildew in our old tt to new camper chemical smell in our fiver. They are rechargeable so you only need to buy them once. To recharge you just set them in the sun for 6-8 hrs.

I'm going to give the crystals a try recharge could be a problem cause we don't see the sun for months let alone 6-8 hrs.

Wayne
Old 01-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #14

Hi richphyl,
Welcome to the Berkshire Family!
We have a 38A too and yes, I know what odor you are talking about. It is kind of a stinky sweet kind of smell. I always smell it the worst in the half bath. I always assumed it was caused by some type of glue that was used when they built our coach. Like the glue for the wallpaper or the floor tile. When we are parked with the slides open I try to leave the half bath door open, that seems to help a little but then the smell is throughout the entire coach.
As far as using products to try to remove the smell, well all that seems to do is mask the odor. Then it smells like a stinky, sweet, pine tree forest! I haven't tried the odor eating tub like some have suggested. I guess that is next.
If you DO find something that works, can you let me know?
Thanks,
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #15

I had a sort of 'baby powder' smell when my coach was new. It dissipated after a while. I think that new coaches are undercoated with Ziebart which is what causes the smell.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I had a sort of 'baby powder' smell when my coach was new. It dissipated after a while. I think that new coaches are undercoated with Ziebart which is what causes the smell.
Good description! Yes Baby Powder mixed with sugar, that's it!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
I'm going to give the crystals a try recharge could be a problem cause we don't see the sun for months let alone 6-8 hrs.

Wayne
There is a way to recharge them by baking them in the oven but I have never tried that.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Have you tried fresh coffee grounds yet?

Use a disposable shallow aluminum pan, cover the bottom at least 1/4 inch deep with the coffee.

Place some in the bathroom, bedroom and the living/kitchen area.

Allow it to sit for 24 hours.
Worked for me......the smell in bedroom was very strong when we got new trailer
Old 01-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #19

Same smell in fiver

We had the same smell no car no. I took a Lamberger oil lamp and let it burn through one cycle. I sat in the camper and washed it to make sure nothing caught on fire. I left the clothes for about a week and then I opened all the windows with the vent fans running and it seems to have helped
safrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #20

We have the same issue with our 2015 38RB we picked up last March new in Texas. We still have clothes we've washed several times that we cannot get the smell out of. We have it in storage right now and I think we will try the coffee trick next. Please let me know what works/worked for you.

Many thanks in advance. First motorhome and always learning.
bstnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire