Old 01-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #1

Oh boy , 38A vs 38B bath and a half, ...

so my mind was made up to get the 38A, with bath and a half and bunkhouse, but then at last minute i saw the 38B with bath and a half but no bunks, with the slightly larger rear bath having double sinks, ....my wife still wants the bunk house on the A but i would much rather have the larger rear bath with double sinks.....we will have this decided within the next week i guess , but if she doesnt change her mind , i will have to give in , i am sure .....I just like the idea of both of us being able to be in the bathroom at the same time when getting ready to go out for the evening, but she wants the bunks for that once or twice a year that two couples may stay overnight ....i say put them on the floor on the air mattress in that situation ..lol... Does anyone have an opinion ? Thanks....jp

Old 01-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #2

Jp, DW & I went through the same, let's call it a discussion, before we purchased ours. DW won out.

No one has ever slept in our bunks, we use them for storage when our children and their significant other come with us. Which is only about 3 times a year.

I love my Berk, I hate the small bathroom. And on mine, 390BH, we only have the one bathroom.

When I get my next moho, it'll have a bath & 1/2.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #3

I know what you mean ...

i love the floor plans on all the Berks, but dont know why some of the bigger Berks single bath is so small....the full bath on the bath and half models of the 38 A and 38B are awesome , ...big, pretty, and very ergonomically functional ..
Old 01-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #4

While deciding on a new 5er last month we never even considered any additional sleeping other than the sofa bed. Table and chairs, no dinette that makes into a bed either. Maybe once a year our grandsons will come along for a week or so... expect no others. The coach is to get away ~~ not drag friends along. We will have enough friends where we stay. We have 4 dinette chairs at most a couple stools for the bar at the kitchen island if we ever see a need. Go for the bigger bath and if friends want to come along they can rent an RV.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #5

I've never understood why people purchase something for once or twice a year visitors. The motor home is for your life and comfort.
I tell everyone that I have a tent in the basement if they'd like to come join us.

2012 Forest River Berkshire 390FL
2013 Hyundai Veloster
Old 01-09-2016, 03:42 PM   #6

Agree ^^ offer a night at a nearby motel if they come to meet. Less expensive and does not interfere with your comforts the other 99.9% of the time.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #7

Having the 38A I like having the washer/dryer in the rear bath.The only place you are gaining room is over the sink in the B as you still have the toilet in the corner.The bunk beds are a great place to grab a quick shuteye,or just rest up with out having to open slides,and yes I'm 6'2" and find them comfortable.Also used for extra fast to get at storage as we put two(2) footstools out of the way there when not needed.Also would find it nice not to hear washer/dyer running while in lounge watching TV or whatever.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #8

We have the bath and a half with bunk beds and love it. We never intended to have any humans sleep in the bunk beds, we wanted the dedicated space for our puppies.

For both of us getting ready, the wife uses the big bath and I put all of my stuff in the smaller bath. Still allows us to get ready at the same time without stepping on each other.

Here is a pic of the puppy quarters:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1452376901.787898.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	97517

Terry & Kim
Dallas, Texas
2015 Berkshire 38RB
2007 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Old 01-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #9

We don't have a Berk but we started looking at rvs a year before we finally bought one. The first salesman we talked to asked us if we had grankids. I thought that was kind of an odd question but answered "yes". He asked if they would be going on the rv with us and I told him occasionally but probably not very often. He then said that's a good thing to realize because a lot of people our age buy an rv based on the grankids going with them and then trade it in about a year or two later because they never use the bunks/bunkroom. We've now had our 5th wheel for almost a year and the gran kids have been able to squeeze in one three day weekend with us. We had a blast but they stay so darn busy that it's hard to find a time when we're all free. We do have a 5th wheel with a small bunkroom but we took out the bunks and made it a scrapbook room (which was our plan when we bought it). When the grankids stayed with us, they slept in sleeping bags in the living area (made it feel more like camping) with one on the couch (didn't even pull it out) and one in one of the theatre-seat recliners which leans out all the way like a bed. They loved it.

So just get what you think you'll use the most because you'll be in it more than anybody else so the floorplan should work for you.

Saw a sign one time that said "This RV seats 6, feeds 4 and sleeps 2". Something like that. At the time I thought it was a bit harsh but now I kinda understand it. Don't totally agree but I understand it.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:33 PM   #10

Mine does not have bunks, does not have a fold out couch, or a dinette that converts to a bed.
The only bed is in the bedroom and that's perfect for us.

2012 Forest River Berkshire 390FL
2013 Hyundai Veloster