Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #1

oil change

Just like to hear some opinions here. I've got about 10 months and 4000 miles on my oil. Am going to be doing a trip west and planning on putting on about another 5000. Just got the chassis lubed and didn't realize that it is part of the oil change at my FL dealer, so don't want to spend another 200 bucks there. I am capable of changing the oil and was wondering if it would be ok to change oil this time but not change the filter. I'm not a big fan of this, but with only 4k on it and cummins saying 15k or 1 year, I'm thinking the filter is not worn out and the oil itself is the more important lube component here. Also, I'm going to have FL change the oil and do preventive maint. before winterizing about a month after my return. If I do change the filter, do I need to fill it before replacing it? Thanks for any thoughts....

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #2

Rich,
With only 4k miles on the filter, I would think it should be fine to change just the oil. When I picked up my coach I changed only the oil when it had about 2k miles on it.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #3

I don't know if Cummins got it ironed out, but they used to have a problem getting all of the casting sand out of the block. When changing oil on Dodge trucks with the 5.9 the first oil change would have a few grains of grit in it. Filters are too cheap compared to engine price.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #4

Mine is not a 5.9 it is a 6.7l and isn't that what the filter is supposed to do, remove and trap any debris in the oll?

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV245 View Post
I don't know if Cummins got it ironed out, but they used to have a problem getting all of the casting sand out of the block. When changing oil on Dodge trucks with the 5.9 the first oil change would have a few grains of grit in it. Filters are too cheap compared to engine price.

I've already done one oil change with filter, so I guess I should be ok. Mine's also a 6.7

Tom, that's kind of the lines I was thinking along....

Rich
Old 08-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #6

heck I would change the filter and leave the oil alone
Old 08-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #7

The oil's looking a little black and nasty......
Old 08-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #8

6.7 is an enlarged version of the 5.9, same "B" block, and oil filter can't catch what goes to the bottom of the pan and stays there.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #9

Just change the filter also, don't half ass it! You got 10 months on it, almost time per cummins anyway.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #10

I would agree that changing just the oil should be fine.

But....I'm the kind of guy that if I'm going to down there anyway, I would go ahead and do the filter also. Sometimes I may overdo what is 'needed' though and am not ashamed to admit it.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
Just change the filter also, don't half ass it! You got 10 months on it, almost time per cummins anyway.

I know, I know, but I just keep thinking that I'll be changing the oil again in about a month and a half. I'm usually the guy that goes that extra little bit also.

Rich
Old 08-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #12

Rich I would run it and do the oil change and filter when you get home. Just check it at stops after a long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #13

I agree with Phil, change it and filter when you get back, you'll be fine. If it makes you sleep better change it now but don't skimp $15, change the filter at the same time. It literally takes 5 minutes.
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #14

OK. So I changed both the filter and the oil. Learned a couple of things. (1) None of my filter wrenches would work, so I had to go buy a strap wrench that used a 1/2" ratchet. (2) Took 18 qts. (I thought it was 16). (3) I now know where the fuel filter is (that's another story). The oil was not really that bad, after all. Felt quite slippery and no grit. I've been wrenching on cars for over 45 years and am reminded about how much I don't know about diesels.....but I like learning.

Also a quick question. To drain the water separator bowl, do you turn the plastic valve at the bottom of the bowl right or left to open? I'm assuming clockwise, but it did not seem to want to go either way and I didn't want to break it. It also has a wire connection, so I'm assuming it is for some type of indicator????

Thanks for all the advice.

Rich
Old 08-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #15

To open it you should turn it clockwise when looking down from the top of the filter. I always started my engine and drained it very slowly so you don't de-prime the fuel system. You really don't want to do this----Ask me how I know!!!!!!! As they say, live and learn, which was easy to do after my first time of sitting on the engine ( bed up) and reading the owners manual on how to prime the engine by sequentially opening and close valves in the fuel line while my wife turned the engine over with the starter.
Yes, the wire is a connection to the sensor that gives a signal on the dash if the system has water in it and needs to be drained.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #16

If I was going to change just one thing it would always be the filter. Oil gets dirty but does not wear out. Worked in the natural gas industry and we ran our oil for years but changed the filters regular basis. I know different kind of engine but the same basic principals.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
To open it you should turn it clockwise when looking down from the top of the filter. I always started my engine and drained it very slowly so you don't de-prime the fuel system. You really don't want to do this----Ask me how I know!!!!!!! As they say, live and learn, which was easy to do after my first time of sitting on the engine ( bed up) and reading the owners manual on how to prime the engine by sequentially opening and close valves in the fuel line while my wife turned the engine over with the starter.
Yes, the wire is a connection to the sensor that gives a signal on the dash if the system has water in it and needs to be drained.

So if I'm laying on my back looking up, I should turn counterclockwise? Should it turn easily? Also, appreciate the sharing of your personal experiences. Thanks.

Rich
Old 08-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post

Make sure of fuel bleeding procedures, the Cummins uses a "common rail" injector system that does not require the bleeding of air to injectors, and at the fuel pressures used, fuel can be injected into the person attempting the procedure. Flesh and Diesel fuel do not mix!