Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

Oil Leak!

I just had my annual PM done on my 2014 390BH at my local freight liner shop about three weeks ago and all was good. Changed oil and all filters and the normal checks and lubes. Went to Richmond for the NASCAR race and when I got home noticed my gen set had a coolant leak (another thread topic). Set up my appointment with the local cummins shop and when I was getting the coach ready I noticed a few drops of oil under the engine. Got under there and noticed it was dripping from where the engine mounts to the tranny. Shop looked at it and confirmed leaking from around the flywheel and where the engine connects to the tranny. I only have about 16K miles on it and it's two years young so It's still within the cummins warranty for motorhomes which is 5 years 100k miles I believe. I just hope this falls into the warranty spcecs. Still waiting on the claim approval. More to follow.

The gen set was just a hose clamp damaged and causing the coolant leak.... All fixed on that.

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 cadillac SRX
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #2

What color was the oil leak, Red or black? Probably have a bad seal, a $5.00 part with $10,000 labor charge. Red would be transmission seal. Black engine seal.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #3

Black, engine oil, quoted $4500!!! They said I'm past the two year engine warranty. I then had to explain to them that it is under the cummins motorhome warranty and its a 5 year warranty, the manager researched it and then told me I'm good and it's covered under the warranty. If I didn't know any better, I would have had to pay, luckily I knew the warranty and how long!!!

Jason
Old 09-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #4

Jason,
Did they say what seal was leaking and if they would need to pull the engine to fix it? Also, who is doing the repair? Is it Freighliner or Cummins?
Yes- an informed consumer is their worst nightmare. They could have gotten $4500 from you!
Not happy to hear about the leak but happy to hear that it is covered.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

Not sure what seal, have to drop tranny... Cummins atlantic in chesapeake VA. Yes luckily I knew, but upset I had to tell them and they didn't know.

Jason
Old 09-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #6

Sounds like a rear main seal.
Seals around the crankshaft.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #7

Think they quoted 20 hours of labour.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #8

That's not good for the amount of miles on it. Good thing it's covered under warranty.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
That's not good for the amount of miles on it. Good thing it's covered under warranty.

Meh... I did a gm performance parts crate engine.
Leaking rear main as soon as I fired it up for the first time.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 10-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #10

In case anyone was wondering about what was the cause of my oil leak, I've attached a picture of what the issue was and what they did to fix it. Picked the coach up last night and hopefully all will be good now. Our engines have a 5 year warranty so everything was covered under that. My coach is a 2014 and I've had it just over two years now so I did have to pay the $100 deductible since I'm past the two year mark. Much better than the almost $5000 repair!!!

JasonClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1443891486.742257.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	90557
Old 10-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #11

NAILED IT!

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 10-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #12

I was surprised that the flywheel housing had damage and needed to be replaced. I used to have a low frequency vibe and humming noise when I'd cruise around 60 that would go away when I took my foot off the gas and then come back when I'd put torque back on it. I wonder if that was from this issue since I noticed yesterday driving the coach home that the vibe and noise was gone. I always thought it was normal but apparently not!! Lucky I never had a catastrophic failure while driving!!

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 cadillac SRX
Old 11-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Jason,

THANK YOU for starting this thread. I had a similar issue. I noticed a few drops of oil on the ground, asked Freightliner to inspect the leak while doing small service and was quoted a $3,500 estimate to repair the leak which did not include parts. Same issue - bad/damaged seal where transmission mounts to engine. I initially told them I can put a lot of oil in it for $3,500. I then came here and saw your post and mention of the 5 year warranty. I had assumed it was for only 2 years (we have a 2011). I then phoned Freightliner to inform them of the warranty. They immediately confirmed with their warranty guy and Cummins and it was fixed under warranty over the next couple days (similar results as you... 18 hours of labor, drop tranny, fix seals, etc.). I was only charged the $100 deductible plus a can of cleaner and a clamp. $116 later, no more engine leak.

You saved us a ton of cash and me from my ignorance.

Thanks again!!!
Jeremy
LiteEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #14

Great going Jason and Jeremy and thank you for sharing.
Hank -
Old 11-13-2015, 08:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteEmUp View Post
Jason,

THANK YOU for starting this thread. I had a similar issue. I noticed a few drops of oil on the ground, asked Freightliner to inspect the leak while doing small service and was quoted a $3,500 estimate to repair the leak which did not include parts. Same issue - bad/damaged seal where transmission mounts to engine. I initially told them I can put a lot of oil in it for $3,500. I then came here and saw your post and mention of the 5 year warranty. I had assumed it was for only 2 years (we have a 2011). I then phoned Freightliner to inform them of the warranty. They immediately confirmed with their warranty guy and Cummins and it was fixed under warranty over the next couple days (similar results as you... 18 hours of labor, drop tranny, fix seals, etc.). I was only charged the $100 deductible plus a can of cleaner and a clamp. $116 later, no more engine leak.

Thanks again!!!
Jeremy
This is why I love Forums! The collective knowledge of the group is priceless... Thanks to the OP!
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteEmUp View Post
Jason,

Thanks again!!!
Jeremy

Very glad it all worked out!!! You'd think the places we take our coaches to would know the warranty time frame....

Jason
Old 11-14-2015, 12:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
Very glad it all worked out!!! You'd think the places we take our coaches to would know the warranty time frame....

Jason
No, they don't know the differences. They are used to working on commercial vehicles with much shorter warranties and vehicles that are worked much harder that we push (baby) ours.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak