Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #1

Ok going to Hershey next week

Looking for a class A what do I look for or ask About I have a c now.
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #2

Bring your walking shoes. There'll be more Class A's than you can imagine available. Good Luck

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #3

Mountain-Man
There are a lot of considerations, but the top three are:
Cost
Gas or Diesel
Inside layout
We here on the Berkshire forum feel that you get the best bang for your buck with a Berkshire and of course it is diesel. Although RV shows have special deals, remember that on a diesel you can get up to 33% off MSRP, exclusive of trade (some have even gotten 40%). You need to get a good idea on your class-C if you are trading it. Good hunting!
Hank
Old 09-08-2016, 08:40 AM   #4

• Quote:
    Originally Posted by retired on a mountain View Post
    New or used
  • How big do you want
  • How much do you want to spend
  • What floorplan do you like best
  • What features and options must you have
  • What features and options can you do without
  • Gas or diesel
  • Ford or Chevy or ?
  • Transmission make & model
  • Selling or trading your existing class C?

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #5

Good ideas, and as a travel trailer guy I can't really give good advice on A vs C features, but maybe I can help with what we did buying at Hershey.

Be prepared for sore legs the next day from climbing in and out of so many units. To avoid some of this make a list of must haves and nice to haves and talk to a rep at each manufacturer and ask to see only units that have the must haves and most of the nice to haves at your price point. Or plan on hiring a message therapist and spending three days to fully check out all the As in the Giant Center lot.

Dukes in Hershey is a good meal at a reasonable price when you're done looking and want a place to organize your thoughts before you forget what you saw. Fudrucker's has great burgers too.
__________________________________________________ __
Days Camped: 2020 - still counting!; 2019 - 77; 2018 - 38; 2017 - 28, 2016 - 35; 2015 - 27; 2014 - 16
JCCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #6

All good suggestion, coming from a C. I'd pay attention to length an type of camping you like to do, i..e. Getting in an out of state parks with a 43' can be a pain.
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #7

Take a camera . Make sure you take pics of anything that might interest you. Who the dealer is if possible their show location. The place is huge and you won't remember where or what you looked at. Jim
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
m

I'll throw this out there, as an owner of a 2015 Charleston, diesel pusher. If your looking at a pusher, I would not buy anything that does not have a side radiator , if you need engine work a shop gets 6 to 8 hrs to pull radiator. If your looking at Forest River , the new Betkshires have a side radiator.option I believe an a tag option, it is a good bang for the buck. An from my experiences FR has always been there for me
Have fun
Old 09-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #9

I will add to this, do your homework. You are not always getting a deal. We got a far better deal days after show. We used the show to narrow down "the who's what's and why's". Then went wheelin and dealin!

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:48 PM   #10

I can agree with the so call deals I'm also afraid of the diesel motor just how good are they
Old 09-11-2016, 08:06 AM   #11

Quote:
I can agree with the so call deals I'm also afraid of the diesel motor just how good are they
Any class A over 36 ft. will be a diesel. These days, whether gas or diesel, the engines and even the drive train are great. That's why you get a great warranty on the drive train.

The differences are:
* Diesel cost more (this is the only consideration).
* Diesel mileage is better then gas. I got 6.5 mpg on my 31' class-C and now get 10.5 mpg on my 40' class-A.
* Diesel's have way better torque, and that is what gets you up a mountain.
* 250,000 miles on a diesel is nothing; a gasser will have had problems achieving this.
* Most diesel RV's are pushers. After driving a gasser; the quietness when driving a pusher is breath taking.
Hank
Old 09-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Any class A over 36 ft. will be a diesel. These days, whether gas or diesel, the engines and even the drive train are great. That's why you get a great warranty on the drive train.

The differences are:
* Diesel cost more (this is the only consideration).
* Diesel mileage is better then gas. I got 6.5 mpg on my 31' class-C and now get 10.5 mpg on my 40' class-A.
* Diesel's have way better torque, and that is what gets you up a mountain.
* 250,000 miles on a diesel is nothing; a gasser will have had problems achieving this.
* Most diesel RV's are pushers. After driving a gasser; the quietness when driving a pusher is breath taking.
Hank
l

Yes , good points, to yearly service your diesel pusher, it'll cost around $600. That's what I spent at factory service in Gaffney, S.C. Having said that , I been driving semi's over 40 years, mainly cummings engines, rarely a serious problem, .
V 10 fords , I had one , poor mpg, engine itself I think pretty much bullet proof up to 90,000 miles. But let's face it probability of putting more than 50k on a motorhome isn't likely overall . I'll take the diesel everytime. They are very quite an smooth
Side note, I have run diesels over 500,000 miles, with nothing more than a tune up an regular services
Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #13

Mountain Man
Did you see anything that you like at the show?
Hank
Old 09-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #14

We did see a lot yesterday seems like more people are showing up on wed. We only looked at A s and C s and still walked 4.5 miles. Out of all the Class A the one one I liked was the Ventana 4037 by Newmar 2 full couches and kitchen table option. Small toilet/sink but full bath in back. The one at show did not have mag wheels. Still not sure on the diesel or gas😀