Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #1

Ok, where did they put the solar panel?

I have a new 2018 Berkshire XL 37A and I'm new at RVing. It was only looking thru docs left to me as to what features I might have, then trying to locate them and figure out how they work for the RV. I located this Morningstar SunSaver module SS-10-12v in a cargo hold right side. Looks like a nice trickle charger for the coach bank of batteries. The charge indicator is always yellow when I happen to view it. As you can see from the pic it has wiring on the solar terminals. I took a look top side only from the back ladder, call me blind but didn't see any panels. What's up, are they up there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_141957963.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	170794  
BreadBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

I've only seen them on the roof if they are a permanent mount. If you have portables, maybe they are in a bay? Just a wild ass guess.
Rusty
lcv800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #3

On the roof, you will find a sticker showing you where to drill and find the wiring there. The charger is good for a single 100 watt panel. I have my panel ready, have not drilled to hole yet. I've been waiting for someone else to go first.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #4

Thanks about the sticker on the roof. Did your rig come with the 100W panel in a bin?
Old 05-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #5

Nope. I bought a panel on Amazon.
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 05-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #6

Ok, good info. I wonder why FR would install a controller of a certain type, you know, commit to that type and then not install a comparable panel? Anyway I'm more worried about when storage time comes. I'm in a secure facility, over asphalt and under the sky. I plan on using a reflective type RV whole cover to protect for UV mostly so any permanent solar panel wouldn't work then. I guess I'll have to come up with a portable solution to that controller. Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #7

I installel my solar panel on my tt roof. As long as your covers top is white your panel will continue to work, but jus a little slower. I leave my cover on all winter and it continues to charge my batteries., without shore
Power
Utah Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #8

Part of that "prewired for Solar sales pitch" The controller they have in there isn't expensive but they hope it will get them or someone after market sales on a panel. Then when you get a taste of 100W solar, they know you will want more power and doubtless another upgrade sale. 100W doesn't go very far... Just do some quick calculations and see how much and how far it will charge/recharge you batteries. Or how many light bulbs you can or can't run.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadBox View Post
Ok, good info. I wonder why FR would install a controller of a certain type, you know, commit to that type and then not install a comparable panel?
Better that KZ line of trailers. their panel input is side panel of the trailer mounted but doesn't go the battery.

it splits off to god knows where. (one line goes to behind the fridge and the other disappears to the fuel pump station controls)

At least all you need to do is get a panel and mounting hardware and put it on the roof. they are durable. you can always remove it out of the mounts in the winter for storage if you get snow load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar wiring.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	171110  
Old 05-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #10

Just beware! Just because the sticker says the wires are there doesn't mean that is actually where the wires are!! Some Berkshire owners have found out the guy putting the stickers on for FR doesn't adhere to details too well...........
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:47 PM   #11

Which ones? I have not seen any posts about anyone tapping into the wiring yet. I have been waiting until someone does it before my sticker blows off. I did talk to Frog Bob and one of the Regional sales Managers about it and they both said the wiring is right there. The label is well marked with dimensional details of the access hole location.
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 05-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
Which ones? I have not seen any posts about anyone tapping into the wiring yet. I have been waiting until someone does it before my sticker blows off. I did talk to Frog Bob and one of the Regional sales Managers about it and they both said the wiring is right there. The label is well marked with dimensional details of the access hole location.
It was posted on a different site. I will send you a PM
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel