Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Our big Summer trip!

Heading out this Thursday. Yellowstone, Glacier NP, Portland, Bend (I'll have to visit a brewery there!) then wind back to Denver. 10 days most likely. Me, my wife, my 15 year old daughter and my 11 year old daughter plus 2 female dogs. Wish me luck! 😀

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1434505232.602639.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	80210

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
TaterColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:44 PM   #2

Best advice I can give based on personal experience, make real sure there is plenty of hot water.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

Are you saying you are doing this whole trip in 10 days? 2 years ago we spent 10 days alone in Yellowstone and last summer 6 days in Glacier. There is so much to do in both these parks alone, rushing through will mean you really missed a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:57 PM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Yes. Lol! We are on the move! We've been to Yellowstone before but my 11 YO has not seen it. Thought we'd run by Glacier NP. At least drive the road to the sun (in our toad). My 15 YO really wants to see Portland and Leavenworth. 3400 miles later we will be home.

Hey-I'm just the driver....😊

Todd.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Best advice I can give based on personal experience, make real sure there is plenty of hot water.

I guess I won't be taking any showers!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #6

How are you going to do all that in just 10 days??? Sounds like the Griswold's trip to the Grand Canyon....

We will be doing the Tetons and Yellowstone plus Mt Rushmore and much, much more beginning July 2 but we are taking two months to "get er done"....

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #7

Our big Summer trip!

As my DH would say, "too much estrogen in that car for me to go along.". I don't think you're giving yourself enough time. You have fun and stay safe!

dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #8
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots View Post
As my DH would say, "too much estrogen in that car for me to go along.". I don't think you're giving yourself enough time. You have fun and stay safe!

This trip is dynamic. What I mean by that is we made 1 camping reservation - for Yellowstone. The rest of the trip we will let the wind carry us to the next stop. It might be a campground or Walmart or a truck stop. We did this years ago with our camper trailer to Oregon. It was one of the best trips we'd had. No hurry to the next campground reservation. Of course the map I sent was our intended trip but things could change. We will play it by ear.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:19 PM   #9

Sounds like a fun and challenging trip. My son and his girlfriend went on a year long rv trip through numerous states and for part of that trip, his girlfriend's sister went. And they had two female pups (with fantastic rv personalities). He has some stories that would make you laugh, some that would curl your hair and some that would make you cry. All in all, the trip of a lifetime. Enjoy and please let us know how it goes. Know you will be too busy to do a daily report or blog but please take notes. Would love to hear your story.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #10

Sounds like a great trip. Some posters forget that not all of us Berkshire owners are retired or full time - LOL

We have three kids and do these all the time. I call them kamikaze trips.

Looking forward to the updates and photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterColo View Post
Yes. Lol! We are on the move! We've been to Yellowstone before but my 11 YO has not seen it. Thought we'd run by Glacier NP. At least drive the road to the sun (in our toad). My 15 YO really wants to see Portland and Leavenworth. 3400 miles later we will be home.

Hey-I'm just the driver....😊

Todd.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
(Dry Huunday)

Looks like a fantastic trip!!! Have fun!

And that is a very doable trip that can be quite enjoyable!
Way back in the dark ages of the '70's my mom threw me in a Chevy window Van and we went from South Florida all the way to the Pacific northwest over a 3 week period one year and a four week period 2 years later, that trip included British Columbia. Went to many many NP's and saw countless sights that I treasure to this day! Never once did we feel "rushed"!

Your girls will remember this trip forever!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #12

When you do Road to the Sun, do it as early as possible. We were there last year and the traffic was terrible. Scenery is wonderful, the glaciers are minimal.

Which brewery are you visiting? Deschutes is our favorite.

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #13

Remember there is a strict vehicle length limit on the Highway to the Sun road. I do not recall the exact length but it might be 28' total length.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #14

Hey Ernest917

Doing just about the same trip. Departing Arizona on 7/6. Will wave when I see you. :-)

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #15

Looks like you will be good at glacier. I read their web site and they opened the road to the sun to the top from the west on 6-11. They plan to open the road from the top to the East on 6-19.

I have taken my grandkids on many trips where we had 10 days or two weeks. Two of my grandkids have been in 42 states with us in an RV. Anytime we get together stories from those trips come up!!

Now that the wife and I are mostly retired we travel & stop lots sooner. But if grandkids have a tight schedule we cover some ground.

So you and the kids will always remember this trip and I for one see it as very doable.

Enjoy the scenery.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #16
Always Learning

Looks awesome. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who plans on trips that are too ambitious and everyone tells you that you're nuts!

Have a great time!
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #17
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Absolutely stop at Deshutes! As for the road to the sun we will drive that in the car we at towing.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #18

Our big Summer trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterColo View Post
Absolutely stop at Deshutes! As for the road to the sun we will drive that in the car we at towing.

Yes --MH's not allowed to go on road to the sun. I think MH can go maybe 7 mile from the west gate then have to turn around.

If you have a couple extra hours a trip to the community of Polebridge on the N/W side of Glacier is cool. An off grid town. Great bakery there in an old store. Gravel roads. Also another entrance to Glacier NP back there. We saw a couple black bear on the way to a lake campground (tent only) back there. One lane road to Lake past Polebridge. Cool.

Russell
Old 06-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #19

Sounds awesome!! Happy travels!

I have been planning a similar trip with our TT for summer 2016. We were going to leave from B'ham AL and road trip to Rushmore, stay there a couple of days and go on to Yellowstone for a week and then road trip home with Rushmore and Yellowstone being the only reserved stops. The goal was 3 weeks but after reflection (and repeated admonition from my wife) I have decided that it is probably doable but will feel like a death march with way too much wheel time versus time to relax and enjoy the locations we will go by, thru or to. The fallback plan is to leave B'ham and go to Kentucky to see the Creation Museum and then road trip to Rushmore and back home over the course of 3 weeks with only a reserved stay at Rushmore. This will be a "toe in the water" to see how the multi week road trip thing goes for us and then Yellowstone may be a later trip all to itself. Anybody have any feedback on the timing versus miles for my proposed trip options?
Nights camped 2017-16, 2018-6, 2019-10
Admiral_Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Roo2 View Post
I have been planning a similar trip with our TT for summer 2016. We were going to leave from B'ham AL and road trip to Rushmore, stay there a couple of days and go on to Yellowstone for a week and then road trip home with Rushmore and Yellowstone being the only reserved stops. The goal was 3 weeks but after reflection (and repeated admonition from my wife) I have decided that it is probably doable but will feel like a death march with way too much wheel time versus time to relax and enjoy the locations we will go by, thru or to. The fallback plan is to leave B'ham and go to Kentucky to see the Creation Museum and then road trip to Rushmore and back home over the course of 3 weeks with only a reserved stay at Rushmore. This will be a "toe in the water" to see how the multi week road trip thing goes for us and then Yellowstone may be a later trip all to itself. Anybody have any feedback on the timing versus miles for my proposed trip options?

I say a trip from Cincinnati (creation Museum) Badlands-Rushmore-Custer State Park- devils tower-Cody wy. Then Yellowstone back to Alabama is very doable in 3 weeks.

Start your plans. I wouldn't get crazy about reservations-- maybe Yellowstone. I wouldn't even make reservations there.

Russell