Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Nice. Our timeframes are a LOT shorter than yours, but we head to Moab in early October for a week. Then Las Vegas for 2 weeks. Then flying back to PA/MD to visit with family. Back to Vegas to immediately head to Pahrump before making our way into California.

Then, once the new year hits- we get nutty and head from CA to FL.
Cool. Are you an Escapee?? If so, do you have a lot at Pahrump Skip park? Other wise little reason to go to Pahrump unless it's for the "cat houses"!!

Only 60 miles to Furnace Creek resort in Death Valley, CA which is nice in the winter.

We should be in the Moab area by Tues-Wed next week. Plan on staying along the Colorado River there on UT-128 coming out of just North of town. We like Big Bend CG the best; it's about 15 miles from town, but oh, the scenery.

Boowho??
__________________

__________________
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Easley, South Carolina
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Cool.We like Big Bend CG the best; it's about 15 miles from town, but oh, the scenery.

Boowho??
Boo hope you can post some pictures for the sake of us Easteners that don't get out that way.
__________________

__________________
Joe & Lori

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
15berkxl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mishawaka
Posts: 576
That's because you spend all your time driving across state


Wayne
__________________
Wayne
15berkxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Boo hope you can post some pictures for the sake of us Easteners that don't get out that way.
Are you sure, Joe?? Scenery there will make you cry, it is so stunning. If there is any place in the USA that will make you feel closer to God, I haven't found it.

On the other hand, when I DO post it, you'll start making your plans to come there immediately.

Boowho??
__________________
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #15
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Cool. Are you an Escapee?? If so, do you have a lot at Pahrump Skip park? Other wise little reason to go to Pahrump unless it's for the "cat houses"!!

Only 60 miles to Furnace Creek resort in Death Valley, CA which is nice in the winter.

We should be in the Moab area by Tues-Wed next week. Plan on staying along the Colorado River there on UT-128 coming out of just North of town. We like Big Bend CG the best; it's about 15 miles from town, but oh, the scenery.

Boowho??
I wanted to stay at Furnace Creek resort in Death Valley, but we're there over Veteran's Day and apparently that is quite the draw. We couldn't find a space for our stay. So, our backup was Pahrump. I didn't know about the cat houses- now I'm excited!

We are Escapees members, but haven't decided where we're staying. With 2 kids, I'm not certain how well we'd be received.

We will get to Moab on October 6. We're staying at Archview campground. I picked it based on reviews- no actual knowledge of any park.
__________________
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I wanted to stay at Furnace Creek resort in Death Valley, but we're there over Veteran's Day and apparently that is quite the draw. We couldn't find a space for our stay. So, our backup was Pahrump. I didn't know about the cat houses- now I'm excited!

We are Escapees members, but haven't decided where we're staying. With 2 kids, I'm not certain how well we'd be received.

We will get to Moab on October 6. We're staying at Archview campground. I picked it based on reviews- no actual knowledge of any park.
Furnace Creek can get really crowded, during their "event" weekends, especially if the 20 Mule Team Boraxo guy shows up with his mules.

I've got some video of the mule skinner and his helpers (swampers??) hooking up the 20 mule hitch.

Pahrump, has two cathouses, Sherri's and the Chicken Ranch. Not what you'd think..... I think Sherri's may have an RV park attached. I know it offers a golf course and tennis courts.

Restaurant is nice, and if the "working girls" didn't walk thru dern near nude occasionally, you'd never know it was a brothel. I took the DW there for lunch and she wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Sherri's and the Chicken Ranch are next door to each other, about 2 miles down the street from the Skip park. It's so funny; out there prostitution is just fact of life.... Nobody get's too bent out of shape over it; it's like walking into a McDonald's and ordering a hamburger!!

Well not quite, but close!!!

Boowho??
__________________
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:53 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
A few pics in and around Buena Vista, CO. The abandoned ghost town of St. Elmo, CO.... Last permanent resident left in 1943. St Elmo is about a 40 mile round trip from Buena Vista.

A high mountain lake on the way to St. Elmo and the yellow Aspens were seen on that side trip as well.

Then there is Big Horn Sheep canyon on US 50 between Salida and Canon City, CO. The drive between Salida and Canon City is about 60 miles. One of the prettiest drives on a paved highway I've ever seen.

Finally, the suspension bridge across the Arkansas River near Canon City, CO. Can't be seen from this vantage point, but from the wooden plank bridge floor to the river below is right at 1000 feet. Looking down thru the gaps in planks is a RUSH, especially if you're on foot and a car goes by. Then you can feel the whole bridge shake a bit, and the planks rattle like hell. VERY exciting.

And the walls of the canyon are so steep that in some places they actually go beyond vertical. In other words the canyon is narrower at the top than at the bottom!

It's no secret I'm a Western USA bigot. If you haven't so far, the I hope everyone can visit out here eventually.

Boowho??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150920_122844.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	89863   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150920_125557.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	89864   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150920_125620.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	89865   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150921_130934.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	89866   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150920_122746.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	89867  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150921_122331.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	89868   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150920_125602.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	89869  
__________________
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:05 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Easley, South Carolina
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Are you sure, Joe?? Scenery there will make you cry, it is so stunning. If there is any place in the USA that will make you feel closer to God, I haven't found it.

On the other hand, when I DO post it, you'll start making your plans to come there immediately.

Boowho??
Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post

Pahrump, has two cathouses, Sherri's and the Chicken Ranch.

Restaurant is nice, and if the "working girls" didn't walk thru dern near nude, occasionally, you'd never know it was a brothel. I took the DW there for lunch and she wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Boowho??
__________________
Joe & Lori

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Easley, South Carolina
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
A few pics in and around Buena Vista, CO. The abandoned ghost town of St. Elmo, CO.... Last permanent resident left in 1943. St Elmo is about a 40 mile round trip from Buena Vista.

A high mountain lake on the way to St. Elmo and the yellow Aspens were seen on that side trip as well.

Then there is Big Horn Sheep canyon on US 50 between Salida and Canon City, CO. The drive between Salida and Canon City is about 60 miles. One of the prettiest drives on a paved highway I've ever seen.

Finally, the suspension bridge across the Arkansas River near Canon City, CO. Can't be seen from this vantage point, but from the wooden plank bridge floor to the river below is right at 1000 feet. Looking down thru the gaps in planks is a RUSH, especially if you're on foot and a car goes by. Then you can feel the whole bridge shake a bit, and the planks rattle like hell. VERY exciting.

And the walls of the canyon are so steep that in some places they actually go beyond vertical. In other words the canyon is narrower at the top than at the bottom!

It's no secret I'm a Western USA bigot. If you haven't so far, the I hope everyone can visit out here eventually.

Boowho??

Nice pictures Boo. I've been out to Oregon, Mesa and Sedona areas of Az. often. Rapid City, S.D., and a few places in Colorado. Never in an RV though. Yet ! Someday ! From what I've seen it is real pretty country. Always like looking at pictures though.
__________________
Joe & Lori

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Nice pictures Boo. I've been out to Oregon, Mesa and Sedona areas of Az. often. Rapid City, S.D., and a few places in Colorado. Never in an RV though. Yet ! Someday ! From what I've seen it is real pretty country. Always like looking at pictures though.
If you've been to Sedona, youve seen some of the better stuff. The part that really puts you close to God (nature, if you're not a believer) is in and around Moab, UT. Pics coming from there in a week or less.

Boowho??
__________________

__________________
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.