Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

Outside led lights help

I currently have the self sticking led lights on the bottom rail of my Berkshire. I am looking to add one string of lights along the top of the kitchen slide as I hope it will be much brighter. I know a few of you have a similar set up. Question is how did you wire it? Where was the wire run and hooked into? What's the place to put it for optimum results? Any info would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #2

On my 2013 390RB kitchen slide there is an used wire bundle that starts near the sink (aft most part of the slide) and travels forward toward the sofa. Probably there for a light in the optional outside entertainment center. I used a DVM to figure out there is a hot 12V wire and a neutral. I spliced into this and wired in a 12V 5amp fuse and ran the wire up the back side of the slide wood trim to the slide roof. From there it runs along the topside of the slide roof to the slide-out cover (awning). The IR remote receiver is wired to this lead and sits out of sight behind the slide-out awning. The adhesive backed led strip sits on the bottom cover of the slide-out awning. Hope that's clear.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:49 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453599971.073328.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	98250
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453600015.946607.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	98251

I installed one set each under the bunk slide and kitchen slide. I wired them into the cargo lights. I also have a strip under the coach on the frame rail. They are also wire into the cargo lights. I did it this way so I could turn them on or off from inside the coach using the cargo light switch.

I also installed a strip under the door awing. I have this one wired into the porch light, which also works from the porch light switch.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #4

Thank you both for great ideas. How bright are the lights on the bottom of the slide? Does it really illuminate past the coach well?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

Klucas it does give off ample light. I would not use the light for reading. The picture I posted was taken inside my shed with all the lights off and the doors closed. It was pitch black in there when I turned them off.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Google 12 volt LED Light RF Controller.......you'll love it..
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
Too old to be too smart

Though I don't have a Berkshire, I was camped all last week at the beach in Ventura beside a guy that sells these lights in Quartzite, and his Prevost was completely "decked out" with them!

His advice, that I will pass along, was to never use the adhesive that comes with these strip lights, and always replace it with the genuine 3M tape instead (if that's how you intend to mount them).

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
There is also an alum. channel made for mounting these, without the mess the tape makes, and your choice of lense covering
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #9

I added a some silicone glue to the backside of the light strips. They've been holding on for a couple of years now with no sign of letting go.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #10

KL,

I put lights along the top of my kitchen slide attached to the panel under the awning topper.

I routed the wiring under the awning topper & down the front side of the kitchen slide (in the corner). I used flexible plastic tubing to protect the wiring & used the screws along the side of the side to attached clamps to hold the tubing.

I used rigid plastic channel to route the wiring along the underside of the kitchen slide so that the wiring will not bunch up when the slide is closed. I continued the flexible tubing under the coach to the generator area.

I drilled a hole thru the fire wall (be very careful), & connected the wiring to the patio light switch.

I'd send pictures but we got +21" of snow so I don't want to open the slide.

I too have blue light under my coach & plan to add lights under the slides this spring.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light