Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
'11 390BH

over flowing toilet while driving

What is going on here?
3rd time it's happened so it's not a fluke.
The scenario is we disconnected city water with a half tank for the road. Switch the pump on and start driving so the kids can use the bath or the wife can do whatever she does.
I pull over for a stop and go back there the toilet is filled all the way with overflow on the floor, we could still see it sputtering from the squirter in the bowl a little when we flushed it down. Now there is still plenty of water in the fresh tank but the pump seems to have lost its prime as only a trickle will come out and it only runs briefly. The water filter housing is nearly empty of water and the pump isn't running to build pressure. Soon as it's back on city and the filter housing has refilled and we leave again were back to pressure as normal until this happens again.
My kids arent doing this and I haven't owned it long enough to take off with the pump off, that's next test obviously but does anyone have a clue what this is all about??
kohersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Debris in the valve holding it open?
Doesn't happen on city water?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #3

Forget the pump. If it's filling on its own you have a toilet issue.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
'11 390BH

No debris, appears to have a good seal as it will hold water.

Does not do it on city connection.

What could it be if it was in the toilet I wonder?
Old 08-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #5

We never travel with the pump on. When a need for water arises ... we simply turn on the pump, then back off when done. I wouldn't want water sloshing around in the bowl on the road.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
'11 390BH

Yeah that's the obvious option to leave it off but we prefer to run with it on so the kids don't continually bother us. On my Gass winny for 55k miles I've always left it on and never saw this.

And following up on the notion of forgetting the pump...I can't overlook ot because it is currently on, with half a tank and the best it can do is dribble for 8 seconds before going dry again. It loOKs like it's 2 issues but I suspect it's singular
Old 08-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #7

I travel with pump on no problems so far.

Wayne
Old 08-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #8

This is a LONG shot, but.... maybe the valve in the toilet is weak and without the pressure from the city water hookup, it doesn't close all the way ?

Just a guess. I'll go back to my corner now and be quiet.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #9
'11 390BH

Well that's easy enough to test later today I think
Old 08-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
This is a LONG shot, but.... maybe the valve in the toilet is weak and without the pressure from the city water hookup, it doesn't close all the way ?

Just a guess. I'll go back to my corner now and be quiet.
This was my thought also. Your pump may be weak (which is what you are stating), and it shoves just enough water through your full lines to fill the bowl, but won't suction. You may also check to make sure your winterizing valve is set to draw from your tank (if you have that option).
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Pull the valve, clean and lube with Danco Silicone grease. It is filling with the residual pressure in the lines with the pump off.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:48 PM   #12
'11 390BH

I can do that for sure, I will note however that it only fills with the pump on. So here's my update as I'm in it right now (as a passenger) the pump was off for the last hour and my wife had left the kitchen faucet set to wide open by mistake. I closed the faucet valve, turned on the pump and checked it, it was not building pressure at all, no flow.
I then checked the toilet and noted the slightest trickle from the bowl sprayer, I stomped the valve open and it started spraying full blast sputtering at first to purge the air and water, now all pressure is restored and the bowl is currently not filling itself.

What's the deal with that,lol?
Old 08-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Air in the lines caused a lack of hydraulic pressure. Once the pressure was restored the valve seated and the flow stopped. It still seems like your pump is the culprit, and the toilet valve seal is a secondary, as it stops leaking if under constant pressure, should seal under any pressure situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #14
'11 390BH

Suppose that is the issue, what in the pump needs to be rebuilt or how do I test for replacing the whole thing? Pressure is just fine, now
Old 08-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #15
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Kohesh, Mine did the same overflow a couple of weeks ago, except my water tank was below the pump input line, so it was sucking air. Every so often the pump would "catch" some water. It appeared the "demand" for the pump stayed on, and it just kept pumping. I ended up turning the pump off and ultimately replace the pump. Hope that helps! Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #16
Site Team

Check to make sure your winterizing valve is fully closed. If open slightly, it will suck air which will then build up in WH and lines and may cause the issue you are seeing.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #17

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Kennygolub's right....it's gotta be a weak toilet flush valve.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #18

It needs a new flow valve. Our 2015 Berk did the same thing on the way home from the dealer. Valve is a 10 buck part.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #19
'11 390BH

Great community here, THANKS Definitely what it is. toilet started running today after pump builds pressure from, stomp the pedal, then it seals-problem done.
So, my coach is sitting at FL Gaffney right now for some other issues, anybody know the part # or can point me to a parts list/diagram for the correct commode?
Old 11-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #20
'11 390BH

I have a followup for this thread. It turns out the the root cause of all the water related issues I experienced were a result of the water filter. I would not have thought it to be so, but without a filter in place, and later with a new filter installed All of my issues have passed. Even more surprising was the weight of the old filter, i suppose that is a good thing. I believe the toilet overflowing was a result form inadequate pressure to keep the valve closed