Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

Overheating Issue - Berkshire 360QS with MBE 900

My 2008 Berkshire 360QS (with MBE900) has developed an overheating issue after the replacement of the EGR valve. Coolant level is good and I recently gave the radiator a good cleaning. Highway speeds greater than 60 MPH and/or any prolonged uphill stretch cause the temp to climb. I had to stop twice on a two hour trip from Ft. Smith to Fayetteville, Arkansas to allow the engine to cool down. Has anyone else encountered anything similar? Suggestions appreciated...
Jeep Liberty Toad
JohnKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #2

Online they talk about a Cummins Diesel engine with a shell and tube cooler for the egr system. At high load the hot gas can leak into the CW, your symptoms. Just an idea.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKen View Post
My 2008 Berkshire 360QS (with MBE900) has developed an overheating issue after the replacement of the EGR valve. Coolant level is good and I recently gave the radiator a good cleaning. Highway speeds greater than 60 MPH and/or any prolonged uphill stretch cause the temp to climb. I had to stop twice on a two hour trip from Ft. Smith to Fayetteville, Arkansas to allow the engine to cool down. Has anyone else encountered anything similar? Suggestions appreciated...

John have you had any luck with this overheating problem?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:05 PM   #4

Sounds like a sticking thermostat....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #5

Fan clutch, had mine replaced
billygo3251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:01 AM   #6

Ditto on the fan clutch. Try standing behind the unit. You should feel a strong breeze coming from the engine. If not, probably the fan clutch. Mine was $1100. Good luck
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #7

Berk 360 Overheating Problem - SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
John have you had any luck with this overheating problem?
Sorry for the slow response. I posted questions on a couple of forums and forgot to update here...

The fan hub replacement solved the overheating problem. It's not a job I want to tackle again NOR is it one I would recommend other do-it-yourselfers tackle IF you have the MBE engine.

Pulling the radiator and shroud aft to gain enough room to access the fan and fan clutch was a major PITA. But, as they say, all's well that ends well. The Berk no longer overheats at interstate speeds. Engine temp increases on steep hills, but drops quickly without setting off any alarms. I did not replace the thermostat, but I did flush the cooling system and fill it with approved coolant. My thanks for everyone's suggestions during this project.
Jeep Liberty Toad
JohnKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:22 PM   #8

Fan clutch
billygo3251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire, heating