Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Mbh818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: East Stroudsburg, PA
Posts: 104
Boo-

We decided not to make the trip down the coast and instead stayed on I-5. It became more of a time and fatigue decision with my driving than a decision based on the road condition. The coastal highway would have been slower and we had already put in many long days. From he many campers i spoke with on our trip, many had done the highway with no problems and spoke of the beauty, but they all said it's slow going. We just didn't have the time with our schedule. If going through Oregon, i would highly recommend 7 Feathers RV park in Canyonville. Beautiful paved sites, paved roads, plenty of space, indoor pool. All for just $40/night. And they give you 10% off if you get a players card at the casino. We really enjoyed it there.

Safe travels. Sorry I wasn't of much help.
__________________

__________________
Mike Hollar
2014 Berkshire 390BH-40
2012 Chevy Equinox - TOAD
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
cpaulsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brookings
Posts: 502
You missed a good trip down the coast. Maybe another time you could go for it.
__________________

__________________
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 36
When we took the trip we made a point not to drive more than 2 hours a day...we took our time. Didn't have a reservation for the entire trip except for our time in the Redwoods...and yet we stayed in State Parks each night, except for the one laundry stop at a KOA. It took us the better part of 10 days, but SO well worth it. As a native Oregonian, I appreciate our entire coast line so much more after that expedition!!
__________________
Brett2012 Rockwood A128
2003 Ford Expedition 4x4 Eddie Bauer
brettmargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettmargo View Post
When we took the trip we made a point not to drive more than 2 hours a day...we took our time. Didn't have a reservation for the entire trip except for our time in the Redwoods...and yet we stayed in State Parks each night, except for the one laundry stop at a KOA. It took us the better part of 10 days, but SO well worth it. As a native Oregonian, I appreciate our entire coast line so much more after that expedition!!
Where did you start and end your trip on that road? Even though I have nothing but time, I don't want to spend 10 days on that portion of my trip.

Boowho??
__________________
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 36
We started in Astoria and drove 101. You could certainly go faster, but with two kids we stopped every hour to go on a hike or sight see... Or grab a snack. We drove 101 all the way into California and into the Redwoods.
__________________
Brett2012 Rockwood A128
2003 Ford Expedition 4x4 Eddie Bauer
brettmargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
KootenayWC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 14
DW and I are planning a 2 week holiday, starting Sept 15 that will include 101. We will be starting from our home in SE British Columbia. We live due north of Spokane, and are planning to reach Astoria via Spokane, Yakima, then hwy 12 over the Cascades to I5 north of Longview. We are planning to stay in mostly state parks. I'm thinking to go as far south as Crescent City CA and then cross over to Grants Pass, then NE going by Crater Lake and generally following Hwy 97 back. Is this do-able in 2 weeks? And do we need reservations?
__________________
TV: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
TT: 2012 Wildcat 26FBS

KootenayWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayWC View Post
DW and I are planning a 2 week holiday, starting Sept 15 that will include 101. We will be starting from our home in SE British Columbia. We live due north of Spokane, and are planning to reach Astoria via Spokane, Yakima, then hwy 12 over the Cascades to I5 north of Longview. We are planning to stay in mostly state parks. I'm thinking to go as far south as Crescent City CA and then cross over to Grants Pass, then NE going by Crater Lake and generally following Hwy 97 back. Is this do-able in 2 weeks? And do we need reservations?
not unless you don't stop anywhere except to sleep.
101 in Oregon is very time consuming. doing it the length, from Astoria to CC, will easily take a week, if you didn't stop much along the way. we did it in 4 days with a popup and all we did was drive, with only a few stops along the way. didn't get to really enjoy the trip.

i think you'd really be pushing and not have much time to relax and enjoy the trip.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
KootenayWC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
not unless you don't stop anywhere except to sleep.
101 in Oregon is very time consuming. doing it the length, from Astoria to CC, will easily take a week, if you didn't stop much along the way. we did it in 4 days with a popup and all we did was drive, with only a few stops along the way. didn't get to really enjoy the trip.

i think you'd really be pushing and not have much time to relax and enjoy the trip.
Thanks for the reply, Bikendan. I might have to scale back the plans a little.
__________________
TV: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC
TT: 2012 Wildcat 26FBS

KootenayWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettmargo View Post
We started in Astoria and drove 101. You could certainly go faster, but with two kids we stopped every hour to go on a hike or sight see... Or grab a snack. We drove 101 all the way into California and into the Redwoods.

Thanks to all that have taken this route and shared info. I'll be leaving Chimacum, WA (just across from Whidby Island) in the morning and head to Astoria. I'll go until the DW or I get tired of it, and then jump over to the Five. My next real destination is Sutherlin, OR where I'll stay a week or two.

Boowho??
__________________

__________________
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.