Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #21

Floorplans are so different depending on the use. Camped a few years ago next to a new MH - triple slides. Their 'living room' was 16x22 or something like that - bigger than the one in my house!

We went with a BH model so each child got their own bed. If we had 2 boys or no kids we'd have chosen something different. Looked at hybrids but the 3 bed models are few and far between.

Like 5vrs, most I've seen are are like class As - seem set up primarily for a couple.

the one's I get a laugh out out of are the ones with double glass sliding doors - great idea if you're facing a lake, maybe on a perm site with a deck, but in a typical CG setting kinda odd.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
"keeping for many many years"...are you sure?

You're changing now because the kids are older and need separate beds (we did the same). As they become teenagers they may want to camp less (aka be home with friends..bring friends camping is a 'something little kids do' so our 13 year old has decided this year).

once they're 16+ they'll prolly camp less. this is based on my family, friends, etc. YMMV and it would be interesting to see what the community says (i'll go start a thread on that!).

So if this 'pattern' is one, then you're 7 year old will 'quit' camping in 6-7 years and you'll be ready for a different MH.

First off, Kelsma welcome to the world of the Berk, I think you made a wise choice. Enjoy you new coach. I quoted this message to relay the next phase of having children. Both my son and daughter are in their early twenties. They still love to come camping with us, we enjoy having them. They also bring friends, her fiancee and his girlfriend. 6 adults basically in our '13 390bh. We use the bunk area for all there clothes and they sleep on the dinette bed and living room sofa sleeper.

You made the right choice in my opinion. Congralts and safe travels.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #23

Hey,
my sons are now in their 30's and now come with us with their children (our grandchildren). That is how we got back into camping. Our sons came to us and said that they now wanted to experience the same trips (and fun and memories) that we took with them with their children. The past 30+ years have been great!!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Funny if this was posted on the Tiffin Forum the comments would have been the total opposite. No one has to go to Red Bay for any repairs. If it is major perhaps and if major repair was required on Berkshire it would go back go factory as well. So much misinformation on all forums. Don't believe everything you read. There are 10x more Phaetons on the road as Berkshire so there will be some more negative comments.
Ps I am proud owner of Tiffin gas coach and the Georgetown is not even in the same league even tho priced similarly. I tried to stay loyal to forest river having a Rockwood and Cardinal in the past.
Which Allegro do you own (the competition to a Berkshire)? Red Bay is just down the road from us and while I agree they make a fine coach - been to the factory in fact, wonderful tour! But when you see the sticker price it is a OMG experience.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Which Allegro do you own (the competition to a Berkshire)? Red Bay is just down the road from us and while I agree they make a fine coach - been to the factory in fact, wonderful tour! But when you see the sticker price it is a OMG experience.

To me the OMG moment is a moth after you spend 300k one, you are sitting in Red Bay for two weeks to get it fixed. OMG!!!
Old 06-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
I think the quality of the Berkshire is better than the Allegro RED, which is why were were considering the Phaeton. But for $100,000+ more, it wasn't worth it to us. Someday I'd consider a Tiffin again, but not right now. It is a wonderful coach, but the cost isn't worth it to us. We already have a great Tiffin, we are going floorplan this time around, not name.
Kelsma03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #27

I had a 2010 Allegro 35qbh gasser. It was a wonderful coach and served us well for 4 years of family fun. When we decided it was time for a diesel, we naturally thought the Allegro RED was the obvious upgrade, until we walked through a new Berk at the Hershey RV show. It was priced well below the RED and seemed to offer much more. We were completely shocked at the what we could get for the money compared to the RED. IMO, the Berk is much more similar to the Phaeton than it is the RED, and priced lower than both of them. We just couldn't justify spending more to stay in the Tiffin family and we have zero regrets with our 2014 Berk. That being said, i may be regretting not waiting another year for a 2015. I'm really impressed with new new 400bh floor plan and I love the new front cap and upgrades on the 2015. Grrrrrrr.
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Funny if this was posted on the Tiffin Forum the comments would have been the total opposite. No one has to go to Red Bay for any repairs. If it is major perhaps and if major repair was required on Berkshire it would go back go factory as well. So much misinformation on all forums. Don't believe everything you read. There are 10x more Phaetons on the road as Berkshire so there will be some more negative comments.
Ps I am proud owner of Tiffin gas coach and the Georgetown is not even in the same league even tho priced similarly. I tried to stay loyal to forest river having a Rockwood and Cardinal in the past.
There is much to be said about brand loyalty, I guess..... Me, I don't understand it 'cause I buy what **I** consider the best product that I can easily afford. Would love to have had a Phaeton; just wasn't in my price range.

Having said that, the other day someone was really "selling" me on why I was stupid to use a PC instead of a Mac.

I said I didn't feel insecure enough in my decision to buy a PC, so that I always had to be "evangelizing" about my computer brand (the way she was doing).

The fool "went off" on me; made some stupid comment about my political leanings and finally got up and stomped away. What the hell was THAT all about??

And finally dezolen, you are right about the ratio of Tiffin MH to FR MH. More like 100 to 1 however.

Cheers

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #29

So what does it mean about my politics if I have a Mac? How could you get pissy with someone about the brand computer you have.
As far as brand loyalty I would give FR a first look and buy what works best for my life style. The truth is I would shop the used market hard also.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
So what does it mean about my politics if I have a Mac? How could you get pissy with someone about the brand computer you have.
Answer to both questions: I have no friggin' idea!!!

I always wonder why ANYONE has to "evangelize" about ANYTHING.

Phil, I'm not making this up. After I asked her why she just HAD to "evangelize", her only response was "Oh, you damn (political party/philosophy)". Everybody at the table was dumbfounded. So, how could she get "pissy"?? My only GUESS would be she's emotionally unbalanced.

I'm NOT going to use the actual words, as it's none of anyone's business what my political leanings are.

NOR, am I going to respond again to keep this exchange going. I was simply wondering out loud, why so many people are so damn defensive about their product purchasing decisions and just HAVE to put the other guy down.

BTW, I have absolutely NO opinion (one way or the other) regarding the pros/cons of ANY computer. And I've NEVER told a Mac owner he/she was dumb for not owning a PC. Haven't even THOUGHT it to myself; I simply don't care.

Cheers.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #31

We picked up our 400BH yesterday and we are in love. Now we are ready to hit the road.
Kelsma03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #32

Congrats Kelsma, welcome to the Berkshire family.

Safe and happy travels.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 06-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #33

Congrats on your new Berk. Have fun, safe travels

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
stephencamiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #34

Congrats....awesome...enjoy!
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #35
Berkshire 390QS

Enjoy you travels