Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #21

Dbt803...

I was pleased that the 63qt unit fit there.... There was so little price difference between it and the next size down that the larger unit made the most sense....

We will now be able to cook dozens of assorted meals in advance, vacuum seal them and have at least one good meal each day for weeks....also has room for numerous breakfast meals as well....

Now just need to get on the road and test it out....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #22

Nice project and write up. Did you have a slide out in the compartment before and just move it? I have a slide in ghat compartment and wonder if it will fit on it?
Thanks for sharing the pictures and the plans.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #23

I didn't have a slide before.... I found a deal for the two slide rails....(100 bucks for the pair) I then designed and built the unit to fit into the opening.... Main issue was clearance at the top.... Had to come up with a way to get the tray as low as possible and still not drag on the bottom and then have the ref clear at the top.. I ended up with less than 1/4" clearance up top, BUT it works and that was the ultimate goal I was aiming for....

I really don't know if this brand ref will fit on your existing slide or not.... You will need abt 21" (height of ref is a tad more than 20") in order to be able to slide the ref into the opening....
Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #24

Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but remember your freezer will weigh quite a bit more when loaded. Just be careful when testing it under a full load. I'd hate to hear it landed on your foot or something. Otherwise it looks awesome and thanks for sharing!!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #25

I agree, that wouldn't be good but the slide is designed for 300 lbs so I think it's good.... Also - no way it will come unfastened from the floor....
Old 04-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #26

Can you tell us what slide out you used or where you purchased it?
csichoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by csichoice View Post
Can you tell us what slide out you used or where you purchased it?
caichoice...

I didn't buy a pre-built slide.... Just had a hard time with the $575.00 price... I built mine from scratch... I found the 48" slides, that will extend out 96" for only $100.00 in the classified section of MH Magazine... All the additional parts/materials (wood, bolts, lock nuts, paint and even a new drill bit) came from Lowe's for another $100.00. So $200.00 bucks plus a little sweat and effort and I have a great set up...
Old 04-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #28

You did a great job and I have no doubt it will hold up. I looked at my slide and I think it will work with some of your ideas used. I will have to do some measuring but I think I will do it just as you did and cut out the plywood deck to lower it. Did you do away with the closer or just move it to the bottom of the door.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #29

Phil...

You have to totally remove the closer.... It's not really needed...

I recommend you use a 2X2 aluminum angle to support your plywood deck because it will allow you to drop the deck lower than the normal angle that has all the pre-drilled holes on it.... I bought a 3' piece, cut it in half and had my two brackets.... Using them, I was able to drop the deck almost down to the rubber gasket around the door...

I'd be happy to help you any way I can... Maybe you can avoid a couple of the initial mistakes I had...
Old 04-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #30

Well, going to hook up power for unit tomorrow... The 110V power was an easy fix - I drilled through the wall separating the front curbside compartment and the basement... I then cut the plug end off a power strip, threaded the cord through the hole, reattached the plug and plugged power strip into outlet in front curbside compartment and I then mounted the power strip to the inside wall in the basement and --- ta da - I have a power source in the basement....

Now the dedicated 12V line is a totally different story.... Haven't worked out how I'm going to get it back to the battery compartment.... Talked to Mitch at FR and he seems to think I should be able to run the line along the beams of the raised rail... Don't know if that's do-able until I crawl into the compartment tomorrow.... Don't know how I'll get it back the 20' it needs to go... Other possibility is to run the line under the MH and bring it out in the battery compartment.... To do that I'll need to start MH engine and inflate the airbags and leave it running while I slide underneath and run the line... Otherwise I won't fit under there...

Anyone have a third option???
Old 04-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #31

I wish I could hire you to do this to my Class C.
1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Tonk Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #32

IT'S FINISHED!!!!! YEA!!!!! BETTER STILL - IT WORKS!!!!!

Ended up running 12V along the raised rail and it took a lot of crawling underneath, lots of zip ties and lots of nasty but was able to run it back to batteries so now I have a dedicate fused line for the ref/freezer....

Plugged in the 12V, set freezer to Fast Freeze and it fired right up.... Then plugged in the 110V and it switched right over from DC to AC... Really runs quietly...

So now I'm ready for a "road/CG test and guess that will be mid-May when we go to Rayford Crossing CG in Spring, TX...

I appreciate everyone putting up with my lengthy posts and I hope they helped someone just a little...

Tonk Mom I'd be glad to help you any way I can..

Everyone - hope to see some of you while we are out-and-about this summer...

Safe travels...

Ernest917
Old 04-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #33

Ernest, that is sweet, I wish you could. I really need a freezer in the motor home as I cook a lot and more importantly, I only feed my cats raw food and need to fill it with food for them while I cross the Country and then live in the RV until I find a home. My husband is disabled and and not a help in these situations.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk Mom View Post
Ernest, that is sweet, I wish you could. I really need a freezer in the motor home as I cook a lot and more importantly, I only feed my cats raw food and need to fill it with food for them while I cross the Country and then live in the RV until I find a home. My husband is disabled and and not a help in these situations.
Logically, the first thing u need to ck is will the ref/freezer fit into the space u want it to.... Height, width and depth....
Old 04-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #35

I think I am going to purchase that one.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #36

I just bought it! Husband is going to kill me.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #37

Ernest, can you tell me step by step how to make and install the drawer? I'll have to put the freezer in sideways since the width of the opening is just 23" and not high enough to open the lid while inside the storage bin.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #38

Tonk Mom....

Email me a phone number and I'll be glad to call and tell you step by step.... Too long to type on forum and I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing abt it by now.... ernest917@hotmail.com
Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #39

Thanks, Ernest, I will, but for some reason, hotmail won't allow emails from my domain. I can send it from another email I guess, unless you have a second one.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #40

Tonk Mom....

Enjoyed our conversation... Glad you ordered a ref/freezer like mine... Don't think you will be disappointed...

Good luck with your install...