Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2019, 01:43 PM   #1

Power Cord Reel ?

So the Berkshire ‘19 34QS that I have doesn’t have a power cord reel. Not sure if the older ones had them OR if the XLs come with them either.

So my first question would be ... if the XL models have them, which brand/type did FR choose for this?

And secondly, are there any Berk owners out there who added one after the fact? Which did you choose and how is it working, etc? And was it even worth it?

I don’t mind the lifting of the cord or anything but it does get sandy and messy handling it. And I thought it would be nice to have one to keep the bay area cleaner and more organized
Old 02-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #2

question: do you have to plug the coach end into an outlet on the outside of your coach wall - or is the coach end already 'hard wired' to the ATS(auto transfer switch) within the electrical bay?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #3

The 2016 xl I have does not have one, and it’s hard wired in so it’s a nonstarter for a reel I’m thinking. I’ve run into the same thing. The cord is pretty thick and stiff on mine so in cold weather I have to really use English on it to fold into that space. I think I read somewhere on the forums with other brands where folks changed out the cord for a high quality but more flexible brand. Wouldn’t help with the mud and crud issue though.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
So the Berkshire ‘19 34QS that I have doesn’t have a power cord reel. Not sure if the older ones had them OR if the XLs come with them either.

So my first question would be ... if the XL models have them, which brand/type did FR choose for this?

And secondly, are there any Berk owners out there who added one after the fact? Which did you choose and how is it working, etc? And was it even worth it?

I don’t mind the lifting of the cord or anything but it does get sandy and messy handling it. And I thought it would be nice to have one to keep the bay area cleaner and more organized
Do a search on this forum and see if you really want to deal with a power cord real. As a 50 year electrician I can tell you I want no part on one. Moving electrical contacts are just something else to go bad at the wrong time and you would need a tech to fix it on a Sunday/holiday afternoon. Purchase 2 cords of good quality and flexibility and plug them together.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #5

Ok no prob. No reel. Clearly not worth it
Old 02-28-2019, 05:22 PM   #6

I have a 2018 34QS and there really isn't any room in the compartment for a reel anyway.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #7

Manual Power Cord Reel

I am considering getting this one on Amazon.

Primarily to free up some space in my electrical storage bay.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1
Old 02-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
I have a 2018 34QS and there really isn't any room in the compartment for a reel anyway.

Yea I figured I’d have to get a low profile one, or nothing. But sounds like there’s more BS involved than is worth it.

And my compartment is even smaller since I added the Progressive EMS box.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #9

While my rig originally came with an 'external' outlet wall connection for the shore cord, I removed the outlet and wiring and hardwired it back into the DEF bay, where it feeds up into the coach/ats... and the nice fact is that this DEF bay provides just the right 'reel' for the cord - around the DEF tank!

now, when I arrive, I simply take out only the footage of cord required to reach the pedestal, sometimes less that 3', and sometimes the cord doesn't even touch the ground. easy, and a totally 'worth it' mod, versus the old school handling of the whole cord, removing it from the main bay, every time you needed to hookup, with the 'rest' of it laying on the ground.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #10
Dragonship Captain

I don't think that's going to work on my BERK.

I thought about a reel, for about 2 seconds. My cord needs run from 5 to 75 feet. I have the leftover from when I shortened it for the Hughes and I have 2 fifty footers which I bring as needed. (Usually only one unless I'm going a certain place.)

Reel is money, takes up space. Nope.

I don't mind handling the cables. Twist/coil into the compartment with a rag in one hand wiping as I go. Put the tub with hoses on it, close the door. Done.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #11

2017 38A - I modified mine by cutting it short in the compartment and adding a male end. That hooks to my power monitor/Surge protector. I added a female on the power cord end which makes it a free standing power cord. It fits up through the compartment hole on the bottom and connects to the male end of the power monitor/Surge protector. It makes it easier to handle the cord not having to thread the whole thing through the compartment and try wrapping it up in there as well as keeping the power monitor/Surge protector out of weather and secured out of site. We just store the power cord in one of the other compartments.
berkdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #12

Cord reel

A friend of mine lost a motor home to a cord reel. Had too much cord on reel while plugged into shore power, heat built up in cord, started a fire in cord bay, shore breaker eventually kicked but it was too late.
rgchrishunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #13
Dragonship Captain

^^^^ This is what I did, except the plugs I got don't fit through the hole. Original male end does, but since it's now shorter and not attached that's a lot easier to do than before.

I also have two 50 footers. Lots of flexibility.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #14

This one makes storing the 50 amp cord much easier and takes up less space. Easy removal if needed as it is attached to a piece of plywood screwed to the floor with wingnuts. My wife is small and she will wind it at times, easy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cord reel.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	197885  
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power