Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #1

Progressive EMS

This is probably the wrong forum, but I have received so much help here in the past, I thought I would ask here first.

My progressive EMS continuously cuts out and back in while plugged into 120v 15amp circuit here at home. It would do it only occasionally before. The only error code it ever gives is low frequency.

This just started today.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #2

!5 amps is not enough.
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
This is probably the wrong forum, but I have received so much help here in the past, I thought I would ask here first.

My progressive EMS continuously cuts out and back in while plugged into 120v 15amp circuit here at home. It would do it only occasionally before. The only error code it ever gives is low frequency.

This just started today.
OK Ken, so what's new today that was not happening (electrically) yesterday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
X2 - I fully concur!

50AMP on a 30AMP is "OK"

50AMP on a 15AMP...not so much
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #4

Hey Guys !!

Thanks for the reply. I've used 15amp on all my 5th wheels and this Berk without problems for years (so long as you don't try to run anything that has a current draw).

It hit me last night in bed. A real DOH moment and I'm embarrassed.
Yesterday, I spent most of the day washing the Berk so I could cover it up for the winter. Prior to putting the cover on, I wanted to run the generator under load for a bit (I can run it with the cover on, but just figured I would do it first).
While running the genny, I turned on the fireplace with heat. After shutting down the genny, I totally forgot about the fire place. First thing this morning, I ran out, turned off the fireplace, and life is good once again.

Berk is all covered and snug taking a well deserved few months rest until I either decide I can't stand the snow and head SW or until the spring thaw.

Hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving.

Ken
Old 11-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

Happy you figured it out Kenny. We have all had those moments (well, I can't speak for everyone I guess...but I sure have).
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #6

I had a similar issue when I had my '08 with the electric/gas water heater. We were travelling in the summer and had the generator running so that we could run both AC's and all was going well. When we stopped and plugged in, I put the water heater on electric. When we left a few days later, I started the generator again to run both AC's and the circuit breaker on the generator kept tripping. Couldn't figure out why. The it hit me that I had left the water heater on electric. Turned that off and all was well again. What I am trying to say is that we all have our 'DUH' moments.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I had a similar issue when I had my '08 with the electric/gas water heater. We were travelling in the summer and had the generator running so that we could run both AC's and all was going well. When we stopped and plugged in, I put the water heater on electric. When we left a few days later, I started the generator again to run both AC's and the circuit breaker on the generator kept tripping. Couldn't figure out why. The it hit me that I had left the water heater on electric. Turned that off and all was well again. What I am trying to say is that we all have our 'DUH' moments.
When Members really get sick is when they Drain the W/H and leave the Power On, then they have another $$ repair! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #8

I have a brand new Rockwood 8289WS 5er and had a Progressive industries HW50C hard wired version installed by the dealer before we picked it up. (Kudos to our dealer Country Camping Corner in Kings Mountain, NC who installed at no cost, I purchased the unit from them of course for $260). I have it plugged into 15amp at my house (only option at my house) with no issues. I am not smart enough to opine as to what might cause your issue, but I can say mine seems to be working reliably. I am running the furnace, refrigerator and lights only with 15amp service.

----------------------------
2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2009 Ford F-250
Appalachian Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Ed View Post
I have a brand new Rockwood 8289WS 5er and had a Progressive industries HW50C hard wired version installed by the dealer before we picked it up. (Kudos to our dealer Country Camping Corner in Kings Mountain, NC who installed at no cost, I purchased the unit from them of course for $260). I have it plugged into 15amp at my house (only option at my house) with no issues. I am not smart enough to opine as to what might cause your issue, but I can say mine seems to be working reliably. I am running the furnace, refrigerator and lights only with 15amp service.
Yes, I have run several 50amp campers off the 15amp line without problem, as long as I didn't ask too much of it.

My issue was another senior moment, where I forgot that I had previously turned on the fireplace while exercising the generator and forgot to turn it off.

This forum has me spoiled and sometimes I ask for help too quickly.

Thank you for responding.

Ken