Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #11

Well I now have 100% proof that I made the absolute correct decision when I installed my Progressive Industries Surge Guard a few months back!!!!!

Went to local state park over the weekend.... Stayed Friday and Saturday night... Saturday night (when more people were there) we experienced three, yes - three, power surges. My Progressive shut everything down each time totally protecting my MH...

Just across from me was a guy in his two-day old 41' Fifth Wheel... Sunday morning he was outside his rig totally ticked off because he had blown almost every fuse and threw breakers all night in this new rig.. I asked if he had ever considered a surge protector and he didn't realize he needed one... I said - well now you know differently... Was upset that his salesperson didn't at least suggest one...

He took pictures of mine (hardwired in power compartment) and is ordering one for his rig....

I now know my unit is protected and that let's me sleep a lot better....

Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Well I now have 100% proof that I made the absolute correct decision when I installed my Progressive Industries Surge Guard a few months back!!!!!

Went to local state park over the weekend.... Stayed Friday and Saturday night... Saturday night (when more people were there) we experienced three, yes - three, power surges. My Progressive shut everything down each time totally protecting my MH...

Just across from me was a guy in his two-day old 41' Fifth Wheel... Sunday morning he was outside his rig totally ticked off because he had blown almost every fuse and threw breakers all night in this new rig.. I asked if he had ever considered a surge protector and he didn't realize he needed one... I said - well now you know differently... Was upset that his salesperson didn't at least suggest one...

He took pictures of mine (hardwired in power compartment) and is ordering one for his rig....

I now know my unit is protected and that let's me sleep a lot better....
I also had my proof the second time I used my SP. While on a 4th of July camping trip at a new camprground the power went out. Turns out there were several blackouts & brownouts before my arrivial. One RVer for sure (but maybe two RVers) A/C units were damaged. The only downside I had was to be without power for 18 hours during a heat wave but I was thankful to have my SP when the campground lost power 20 minutes after I pulled in.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
After going through all the normal read outs, it flashed an error code PE7- low frequency. Called Disney's maintenance and they sent a man out to take a look. ---The maintenance man returned and said that the bus bar in the box was rotted and needed to be replaced.
Any of you electricians find this weird?
How does a "rotted buss bar" in the power pedestal cause low frequency?

Inquiring minds want to know... Sounds fishy to me as I thought the frequency of the alternating current is determined at the generating source (or sub station transformer).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #14

Ernest,
I see your are from Tyler so I assume this was Tyler State Park. We were there as well, (and 8 days before that). We were parked right across from the 2-day-old guy. He mentioned you and the problems he had. We had no problems (but no surge protector to notify us either). We were probably on a different circuit. The power system there looks pretty new, and there weren't that many people there, so I'm surprised there were problems. I checked with a meter before we hooked up and everything was good at that time (121 volts). Obviously things can change.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Any of you electricians find this weird?
How does a "rotted buss bar" in the power pedestal cause low frequency?

Inquiring minds want to know... Sounds fishy to me as I thought the frequency of the alternating current is determined at the generating source (or sub station transformer).
Exactly. I can understand 'low voltage', corrosion or water intrusion being the culprit. But I'm no electrician. I don't even play one on tv.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #16

Barry....

I guess it was a different circuit because I definitely had three distinct surges all three of which were caught by my surge guard...
Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #17

i'm curious...how many other campers had problems? do u have any pictures.
how was the weather? much lightning? lightning does interesting things.
most of the things i'm reading abt here are not surge supression. most are talking abt one of the built in features of the surge guard that shuts it down on high or low voltage. the suppressor part would take care of the rapid spikes.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #18

Great weather.... Don't know how many others had problems... It's and older park and I have no idea how long it's been since they have reworked the electrical - if ever... It's easy to tell its an older park because most of the pull-tru sites are small and not designed for 40' MH's... Mine wouldn't fit in the first site they assigned....
Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #19

Fine weather. No storms at all.

Did you take some readings when your protector said there was a problem?

I know the other guy with the new camper said he was having problems, but who knows.

If I wanted to sell surge protectors, I would get more customers if my suppressor reported problems than if none were ever found. This is just an observation and not based on any fact what so ever.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #20

yeah, there is no telling. lightning would have been easier to understand. it can fry one or even one item and all else is unaffected.