Old 12-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #11

Like I said:
The attendant went through the motion of opening the bleeder valve at the very last instance before he shut off the tank and there was a fog of propane that came from it.

It was already overfilled by then. I understand that the valve should be opened when filling but it should be opened long before he did it.

You need to read entire thread!

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
Like I said:
The attendant went through the motion of opening the bleeder valve at the very last instance before he shut off the tank and there was a fog of propane that came from it.

It was already overfilled by then. I understand that the valve should be opened when filling but it should be opened long before he did it.

You need to read entire thread!
I read the entire thread I was agreeing with you. I stand and make sure they do it myself.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #13

They are also supposed to ask you to turn off all pilot lights and make sure nobody is in the MH during filling. This should include them asking you to turn off your fridge while you are there if it is in LP mode. Anyplace that doesn't bother with these details is being lazy with your safety.
To the OP I got what you were explaining and just wanted to make sure the thread didn't confuse your issue with what people see when their bbq type tank is filled. I am glad things were not more serious for you and you eventually ended up ok I hope.
I'm curious if the filling attendant who caused your problem even bothered to mention these other safety precautions given his attitude toward you when you mentioned your concern about overfilling.
When I or any of my employees fill a MH at our LP station sometimes the owner of the coach is surprised when we ask that all pilot lights or flames be turned off and to have everyone out of the coach as they often say "well no place else ever makes me do that." Again, scary! Not trying to alarm anyone either but there are a few key precautions and procedures that go a long way in making sure the MH is filled properly and safely. Unfortunately it sounds like we MH owners should have to be aware of them and at least familiar with the procedure since some filling places don't seem to care very much. I am sure this is not the norm but a little awareness can help us look after ourselves. Many LP filling stations see relatively few motorhomes (thus tending to have an attendant on any given day who is not as familiar with them as they should be) and do mostly bbq tanks. Since the introduction of the OPD some filling attendants have become lazy about the whole procedure as they mostly fill bbq tanks and figure it is no big deal just filling it until the OPD stops it. I wonder if some even know what they are doing at all beyond that.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV245 View Post
Wish I had a thanks button for mjracsj sharing of information.
I sent him a pair for both of us.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
Old Enough to Know Better

FYI
DOT Cylinder (portable bottle) requalification Codes
12 years after intial date of maufacture
5 years after external visual inspection (there will be an E stamped after date EX 0512E)
7 years after modified hydrotest (S ater date)

Also DOT requires the inspector to have a RIN # (requalifiers inspection number) that will be placed or stamped on the cylinder.

Since the RIN # requires the inspector to keep records FOREVER or till the end of time (which ever comes first) most refillers and some LP Gas Dealer will not requal cylinders.

Hope this helps
Old 12-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #16

When I had a new propane tank put in at my home I asked a lot of questions because our old one was so outdated. The tech told me that all tanks are filled only to 80% capacity for safety reasons. One time I took a 20 lb tank to have it filled and the guy filling it made the overfill activate. He said they were supposed to test them every time they filled them, don't know if this was just their policy or a New York state thing. Seems like a good idea to test them. Frost on the regulator, I had that happen in the summer before and was told it was probably very humid that day propane is very cold causing the regulator to freeze up, don't know if that is your problem. I would go to a propane company and ask some questions about this freeze up and your opd I'm sure someone there could give you the info you need.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #17

Frost on a reguluator can be caused by High Demand along with high humidity, undersized regulator, Blocked vent on a regulator, water in the gas (called a freeze up) and liquid carry over from an overfilled tank. Usally a freeze up or liquid carry over will cause the regulator to vent. Regulator are designed to not allow more than 2 psi downstream in the event of a failure. Also liquid carry over would also frost the offending tank valve and pigtail. As stated earlier filling by volume with the bleeder open is the best way to keep from overfilling any tank. OPD valves in cylinders and auto stop valves in motor home tanks can fail open or closed.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps
Old 12-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
Frost on a reguluator can be caused by High Demand along with high humidity, undersized regulator, Blocked vent on a regulator, water in the gas (called a freeze up) and liquid carry over from an overfilled tank. Usally a freeze up or liquid carry over will cause the regulator to vent. Regulator are designed to not allow more than 2 psi downstream in the event of a failure. Also liquid carry over would also frost the offending tank valve and pigtail. As stated earlier filling by volume with the bleeder open is the best way to keep from overfilling any tank. OPD valves in cylinders and auto stop valves in motor home tanks can fail open or closed.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps
I noted the article said to fill with the bleeder open ONLY until vapor is seen. Most guys I have seen wait till liquid comes out. Is that overfilled?

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 12-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #19

No Sir
That is the correct way. When you open the bleeder you will always get vapor but when the liquid level gets to the bottom of the tube it will "change" to a white fog (expanding liquid) thats when the tank is 80% full. Most of the time (but not all) a functioning OPD will shut it off before it get to 80%.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
No Sir
That is the correct way. When you open the bleeder you will always get vapor but when the liquid level gets to the bottom of the tube it will "change" to a white fog (expanding liquid) thats when the tank is 80% full. Most of the time (but not all) a functioning OPD will shut it off before it get to 80%.
Thanks.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW

Tags
propane, tank