Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #21

Thanks to all who replied.

I don't have to be asked to shutoff all appliances (including frig) when getting my tank filled. I'm usually alone when I get it filled but I appreciate the suggestion to have everyone exit the motorhome.

Frost on the regulator doesn't bother me unless I'm having issues. Mine was internal freeze up that restricted gas flow. At least that's what I figured out.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #22
Just Creeking Around

As a business owner who sells propane I can tell you that any propane filling station that attempts to fill a DOT tank affixed to a motorhome, without first opening the brass bleeder vent should be reported. This is an extremely unsafe act and could cause great personal injury and property damage. I fill any tank 100lb and down. Normally motor homes do not have a OPD valve. The 80% tube(vent) serves as the OPD. I also use a certified flow meter by the gal. Portable tanks are by weight,(state certified). TW+WC=fill weight. No more no less.

Jerry and Carol
Pahrump, Nevada
2014 38CK-Auto Levelers
2012 F350 Super Duty Crew, Air Bags, Pull-Rite Superglide, Splendee Combo.
F R O G, GS
Jerry L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #23

Portable tanks are by weight,(state certified). TW+WC=fill weight. No more no less.[/QUOTE]

Of course adding in DW (drag weight ((not to be confused with Dear Wife for goodness sake!!)) which is a few pounds depending on the type of nozzle) of the filling nozzle and hose for a scale setting of TW + WC + DW = fill weight scale setting for those who are keeping score at home LOL. Seriously though I totally agree with your post and the point about using the brass bleeder valve. The additude about relying on an OPD alone amongst filling attendants is worrisome for any kind of tank. Agree that the safest way to is to fill as if it did not have one and use the 80% dip tube bleeder valve as you and others have mentioned.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank