Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #1

Punched through the jack pad

Well, it happened. Leveling last week on a relatively flat site and the leveler went right through the jack pad. Just curious to know how others handled this when it happened to them. I'm out of factory warranty but have american guardian supplemental warranty. Called the local rv shop and they wont deal with american guardian. Said they can fix it but it would be up to me to chase american guardian for my reimbursement check. Called another one and he wasn't sure that a pinched jack pad would be covered. Also, the power will not work at all on the keypad. Anybody know if this is related to the punched pad or simply a coincidence. Cant find the fuse to check it.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #2

I would call equalizer. They know about the jack pads and have changed the design. I would insist they send you 4 new design free of charge. As for the keypad, problem should not be related. Is your parking break on. Will not work if off. Otherwise check fuses, Maybe pull the keypad and reseat the connectors?
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbh818 View Post
Well, it happened. Leveling last week on a relatively flat site and the leveler went right through the jack pad. Just curious to know how others handled this when it happened to them. I'm out of factory warranty but have american guardian supplemental warranty. Called the local rv shop and they wont deal with american guardian. Said they can fix it but it would be up to me to chase american guardian for my reimbursement check. Called another one and he wasn't sure that a pinched jack pad would be covered. Also, the power will not work at all on the keypad. Anybody know if this is related to the punched pad or simply a coincidence. Cant find the fuse to check it.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Mike

I think that this is the first one that has failed on a newer MH. This is a 2014 correct? Odd as the "new" design went on coaches around 2011. I believe I have the new design on my 2011. I wonder if something else is causing this to happen.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #4

Phil is correct. They changed the design a few years back and this is the first time in quite a while that this issue has been posted. As Silver has stated, call Equalizer and tell them about the issue.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #5

I called Equilizer and had to pay for two of the pads. I'd negotiate with them...word choice is key! They would not admit this was an ongoing problem. I ended up not paying full price for both. After you receive the pads, anyone with a air gun can remove and replace. I took mine in when I had my tires changed. Best of luck!

-David
trekdave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #6

David,
What year is your coach?

Old 10-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #7

Tmmar,

I have the 2011 390BH. It had the old design of the Equilizer pads.

-David
trekdave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #8

I think Tom put pictures up of the two different pads. One is round( the old one) and one has a little curve? to it. Not sure that's correct. Mine is a 2011 and I've not had this happen. The MH had been in service beginning April 2012. Odd issue.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:37 AM   #9

Pads

I have a 2013 Birkshire 390rb the ja is punched through the jack pads last year. I called Equalizer and they told me a recall had gone out on the pads due to the metal around the bolt hole was not correct. They sent me out four new pads at no cost. Easy to replace and no issues since.
caburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #10

Following
jmgllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #11

This is a picture of the old pad from my '08 on the left and the new pad on the right. As you can see, the old one is much heavier. You have to scroll down to post #8.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ugh-41784.html

Old 10-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #12

They sent you the wrong pad. Mine had the thin metal from the start the new ones are reinforced different.
Here's the link with the different pads.
Foot Pads | Replacement Parts | Online Store | Equalizer Systems | A Days Company | Official Site
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #13

Thanks for all the thoughts. Called Equalizer. Told me there has been no recall and no real issues with the pads in a few years. I can order a new pad and bolt for about $55.

Asked about the power being out. Told me the assembly for the jacks is located in the passenger side bay, second from the rear. Checked the fuse there and it's good. Pulled the panel and all the connectors look good as well. Emergency brake is on. Hmmmmm.

Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #14

The crucial part of the jack pad is where the hydraulic ram seats onto the pad. The contact area between the ram is a circular ring and very small in area. If for example a rear jack is supporting say 8500 lbs. and the ram's contact area is between 1 to 2 square inches; this means the rams pressure on this very small circular seating area may be 4,250 to 8,500 psi.

Now if the pad is cocked because of un-level ground, the psi increases on a portion of the contact area. That is why there is punch-through.

It doesn't matter that the pad may be 10 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. What matters is the area and strength of the contact area. I believe there could be a better design to transfer the hydraulic ram's enormous pressure to the pad. - Hank
Old 10-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

It sure isn't rocket science to fix a problem like this. Any competent welding shop could fix it in less than an hour.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
The crucial part of the jack pad is where the hydraulic ram seats onto the pad. The contact area between the ram is a circular ring and very small in area. If for example a rear jack is supporting say 8500 lbs. and the ram's contact area is between 1 to 2 square inches; this means the rams pressure on this very small circular seating area may be 4,250 to 8,500 psi.

Now if the pad is cocked because of un-level ground, the psi increases on a portion of the contact area. That is why there is punch-through.

It doesn't matter that the pad may be 10 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. What matters is the area and strength of the contact area. I believe there could be a better design to transfer the hydraulic ram's enormous pressure to the pad. - Hank

As good a reason as there is. It's a simple equation that any first year engineering student would get. So why are we still having issues and why hasn't Equalizer fixed it.
I agree with OC you don't need an engineer a competent fabricator could do this easy.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #17

I switched to the new pads about a year ago. Parked and leveled on asphalt about a month ago with some rear to front and side to side slope. Bent up one of the new pads pretty bad. Not sure the new design is all that great either.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:47 PM   #18

My Legacy has the same pads, I punched through one a few months ago (totally my fault). Simple to remove with an impact, I straightened and welded up and bought a new one just to have on hand just in case.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #19

key pad not working. I had the key pad not powering up. check fuses , if not fuses ,check for loose connecter on key pad mod,located in storage under rig. draw a x between front and rear tires and you will find it between frame rails. had it happen to me.
phillip h lepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #20

The new design has the same material for the pad itself the where the ram contacts it is much stronger.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote