Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I think that the advice to get the Moho weighed is excellent advice. I would add that I would weigh it BEFORE you sign anything. If the dealer objects tell him to keep it. I will never ever buy a Moho or any RV with out getting a weight FIRST.
X2 -GET IT WEIGHED BEFORE SIGNING and then check against the gross weight ratings to see what you can carry. Otherwise, you might need to go on the Biggest Loosers show - LOL.
Hank
Old 01-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #42

It's Confuse the Newbie time!

Sooooooooo......I am looking at the Alabama law:

Driver Licenses - Classes, Endorsements, and Restrictions

Classes:
Class A —Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).
Class B —Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) GVWR.

[Looks like they are talking Berk+TOAD here]

Class C —Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F).
Class D – Private passenger, regular operator.
Class M – Motorcycle
Class V – Water Vessel

Section 32-6-49.7 - Commercial driver license required; exceptions.
(a) Except when driving with a commercial driver license learner's permit and accompanied by the holder of a commercial driver license valid for the vehicle being driven, no person may drive a commercial motor vehicle on the highways of this state unless the person holds, and is in immediate possession of, a commercial driver license with applicable endorsements valid for the vehicle he or she is driving.
Active duty military or National Guard personnel operating government vehicles, farmers operating certain commercial motor vehicles, firefighters and operators of emergency equipment exempt from licensing provisions of the CMVSA are exempt from this article as detailed in FHWA's "Notice of Final Disposition" published in the Federal Register, September 26, 1988, 53 FR 37313, and as hereafter updated.
Commercial driver license requirements do not apply to drivers of vehicles used for personal use such as recreational vehicles which would otherwise meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle.

The way I read this is:
1. Yes, the Berk is over 26,001 LBS BUT Section 32-6-49.7(a) negates the requirement of a Class B license.
2. Ergo, I can drive the Berk with a Class D License.
3. License reciprocity in all 48 states mean that, even if I am in a state that requires a CDL (Class C), they will honor Alabama's law that says I do NOT need a CDL to drive my Berk.

To muddy the waters: When we go full time in '18 we will most likely Domicile in TX or SD, which means a NEW License. Anybody have a clue what TX or SD require to drive our Berk?

FINALLY, How about Canada? So we go to BC on our way to Alaska...will the RCMP honor our Alabama Drives license? Gordon seems to indicate the Canadians are much more strict on drivers licenses that we are in the US.

TIA for advice folks!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #43

In my case I'll just continue going on like I am-- If they stop me & tell me I need another license I'll just act normal (dumb) and let them explain what I need to do.

Surly they feel sorry for old man on fixed income and cut me a brake.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
In my case I'll just continue going on like I am-- If they stop me & tell me I need another license I'll just act normal (dumb) and let them explain what I need to do.

LOL Russell...perfect answer
Old 01-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #45

Damn Bob, make life easy on yourself and make Florida your domicile. No state taxes and now worries on the license.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post

To muddy the waters: When we go full time in '18 we will most likely Domicile in TX or SD, which means a NEW License. Anybody have a clue what TX or SD require to drive our Berk?

FINALLY, How about Canada? So we go to BC on our way to Alaska...will the RCMP honor our Alabama Drives license? Gordon seems to indicate the Canadians are much more strict on drivers licenses that we are in the US.

TIA for advice folks!
Bob,
I'm pretty sure there is reciprocity. If you are legal in your home licence jurisdiction, you are legal to drive the vehicle in other jurisdictions, including Canada.

On your way to Alaska, you will drive through Alberta and BC and the Yukon. Welcome to Canada!

There are laws that are specific to the vehicle, such as towed vehicle weights and whether they have brakes, etc. That will vary by State and Province, but I suspect you already have that covered.

OTOH, reading one of these (free) air brake manuals is very interesting. Pour a nice glass of bourbon, cozy up by the fire and read while you are waiting for RV season to start.

Factoid: George Westinghouse invented the airbrake in the 1800s as a way to stop trains. The technology has been refined a lot since then, but idea of reliability and fault tolerance has kept the basic air brake idea in use for many decades.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post

Russell
Russell,
That will likely work if you get pulled over by a cop. But, if you have an accident, your insurance company may find it a convenient way to flip some of the damage cost back on you.

–Gordon
Old 01-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
Russell,

That will likely work if you get pulled over by a cop. But, if you have an accident, your insurance company may find it a convenient way to flip some of the damage cost back on you.

–Gordon

Got to make sure to owe more than coach is worth. They not go after anyone that has negative net worth.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Damn Bob, make life easy on yourself and make Florida your domicile. No state taxes and now worries on the license.
Well, that IS the 2nd option. Or perhaps SD

We are going to use the Escapees Mail service so we get to pick one of the 3.

Thanks for the info on FL though - did not know that!
Old 01-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Bob,
I'm pretty sure there is reciprocity. If you are legal in your home licence jurisdiction, you are legal to drive the vehicle in other jurisdictions, including Canada.

On your way to Alaska, you will drive through Alberta and BC and the Yukon. Welcome to Canada!

There are laws that are specific to the vehicle, such as towed vehicle weights and whether they have brakes, etc. That will vary by State and Province, but I suspect you already have that covered.

OTOH, reading one of these (free) air brake manuals is very interesting. Pour a nice glass of bourbon, cozy up by the fire and read while you are waiting for RV season to start.

Factoid: George Westinghouse invented the airbrake in the 1800s as a way to stop trains. The technology has been refined a lot since then, but idea of reliability and fault tolerance has kept the basic air brake idea in use for many decades.
Thanks for the info Gordon; good to hear I will not have any issues in Canada. As for brakes, yes, we will be using either a AirForce1 or the Roadmaster Invisbrake.

Oh, and hope you don't mind but I'm a Scotch man myself - I will remember to have some Makers Mark in the locker when you stop by the camp though!
Old 01-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Thanks for the info Gordon; good to hear I will not have any issues in Canada. As for brakes, yes, we will be using either a AirForce1 or the Roadmaster Invisbrake.

Oh, and hope you don't mind but I'm a Scotch man myself - I will remember to have some Makers Mark in the locker when you stop by the camp though!

I drink Monkeys Shoulder, save me some. Makers Mark will do as a fill in.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #52

Quote:

Classes:
Class A —Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).
Class B —Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) GVWR.

[Looks like they are talking Berk+TOAD here]

Class C —Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F).
Class D – Private passenger, regular operator.
Class M – Motorcycle
Class V – Water Vessel

Section 32-6-49.7 - Commercial driver license required; exceptions.
(a) Except when driving with a commercial driver license learner's permit and accompanied by the holder of a commercial driver license valid for the vehicle being driven, no person may drive a commercial motor vehicle on the highways of this state unless the person holds, and is in immediate possession of, a commercial driver license with applicable endorsements valid for the vehicle he or she is driving.
Active duty military or National Guard personnel operating government vehicles, farmers operating certain commercial motor vehicles, firefighters and operators of emergency equipment exempt from licensing provisions of the CMVSA are exempt from this article as detailed in FHWA's "Notice of Final Disposition" published in the Federal Register, September 26, 1988, 53 FR 37313, and as hereafter updated.
Commercial driver license requirements do not apply to drivers of vehicles used for personal use such as recreational vehicles which would otherwise meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle.

The way I read this is:
1. Yes, the Berk is over 26,001 LBS BUT Section 32-6-49.7(a) negates the requirement of a Class B license.
2. Ergo, I can drive the Berk with a Class D License.
3. License reciprocity in all 48 states mean that, even if I am in a state that requires a CDL (Class C), they will honor Alabama's law that says I do NOT need a CDL to drive my Berk.

TIA for advice folks!

Here in Texas, no additional license requirements, no state tax......
great place to live

If you are legal to drive in one state, you are legal in all states

One more thing, diesel is a BUCK 69 a gallon here right now!

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:39 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRetired View Post
Here in Texas, no additional license requirements, no state tax......
great place to live

If you are legal to drive in one state, you are legal in all states

One more thing, diesel is a BUCK 69 a gallon here right now!
Yeah, you are likely to have a fellow transplanted-Texan when we retire Dennis - Escapees Rainbow's End is based in Livingston...not too far from you (in TX distance )

diesel is going for $1.95 - and I thought we had it good!
Old 01-15-2016, 12:09 AM   #54

Quote:
Yeah, you are likely to have a fellow transplanted-Texan when we retire Dennis - Escapees Rainbow's End is based in Livingston...not too far from you (in TX distance )

diesel is going for $1.95 - and I thought we had it good!
And we have room to move around
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452834296302.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	97842  

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 01-15-2016, 06:46 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRetired View Post
And we have room to move around
That's NICE Dennis! How many acres is your house plat?
Old 01-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #56

Quote:
That's NICE Dennis! How many acres is your house plat?
big enough to fit I reckon

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 01-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #57

Quote:

Sorry, I assumed that Alabamans tend to prefer Bourbon. But, I've got to do some research with personal trip to confirm or deny that.

I'm a Scotch man, too. I like smokey Islays.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #58

Quote:
Sorry, I assumed that Alabamans tend to prefer Bourbon. But, I've got to do some research with personal trip to confirm or deny that.

I'm a Scotch man, too. I like smokey Islays.
Well we DO have BamaGanza every October - come on down!

Actually, if I was going true to Alabama roots, probably more to the Sour Mash (e.g. Dickel).

Here's some more temptation to come to BamaGanza - on your way down I65, just about every Bourbon, Sour Mash, and Whiskey distillery is just a short jaunt off I65, starting right below Louisville, KY

The Scotch habit was acquired during a 3 year tour in England. I was attached as an exchange to some Scottish units and got first hand tutelage

Like you, I am very partial to Islays; Laphroaig & Ardbeg being my favorite. I don't think they could decant a SMS that is too smoky or peaty for me LOL!
Old 01-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #59

X2 on the Dickel!
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:08 PM   #60

Now I am learning the Magnum energy system.
Ride_with_me. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire