Old 01-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #31

Well thanks very much. Chad was our salesman and dealing with Matthew as well-seem real good. They all have the coach on Friday and we will do a walkthrough with them all day on Wednesday. Will definitely go to those places as we will be in Elkhart for 2 days with not much to do until the walkthrough. Barry

Old 01-12-2016, 03:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmnc View Post
Well thanks very much. Chad was our salesman and dealing with Matthew as well-seem real good. They all have the coach on Friday and we will do a walkthrough with them all day on Wednesday. Will definitely go to those places as we will be in Elkhart for 2 days with not much to do until the walkthrough. Barry

Barry are you doing your walk through tomorrow or next week? I will be at total value tomorrow to pick up tickets for RV show this week in South Bend. If it's tomorrow bring snow gear as we are getting lake effect snow at the moment 6" +.

Wayne

Old 01-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #33

Down in Middlebury on HWY is the Essenhaus a great restaurant. Home cooked meals. About 15 or 20 south of total value. I post info pic.

RussellClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1452633421.490959.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	97687
Old 01-12-2016, 04:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Who was your salesman at TOTAL VALUE. Dave is mine. I've purchased 4 coaches from them. Great dealer.

For a great hamburger. Go to the Flippin Cow --For deli food go to Martin Market. Both of these places within a mile of Total Value. Just to the west
I have lots of info on that area if you need it. It is going to be cold is my guess. I think they have ice on the roads today.

Russell.
X2 on Dave

And Da Vinci's for some really GOOD Italian food!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:40 PM   #35

Chad was mine. Great guy...still keeps in touch.

Rich
Old 01-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #36

I got my 34 in October. I found out my class C driver license needed to be a class B. Back to the book. Have fun.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_with_me. View Post
I got my 34 in October. I found out my class C driver license needed to be a class B. Back to the book. Have fun.
That's good for all of us to remember. I suspect some people let that slide, but it would be a disaster for them if they have an accident.

In Alberta (and I suspect most of Canada), you can use a regular car driver's licence, but need an airbrake endorsement. That means a mandatory one-day course, with a hands-on test involving slack adjusters (setting and checking), etc. And then a multiple choice exam at the motor vehicle office.

When we took the course, we got a nice manual on using air brakes and it turns out to be almost identical to some that are online in other provinces. I downloaded the online version and keep it with all the manuals for my RV. Here is a link to the online Manitoba version http://digitalcollection.gov.mb.ca/a...did=20528&md=1
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
That's good for all of us to remember. I suspect some people let that slide, but it would be a disaster for them if they have an accident.

In Alberta (and I suspect most of Canada), you can use a regular car driver's licence, but need an airbrake endorsement. That means a mandatory one-day course, with a hands-on test involving slack adjusters (setting and checking), etc. And then a multiple choice exam at the motor vehicle office.

When we took the course, we got a nice manual on using air brakes and it turns out to be almost identical to some that are online in other provinces. I downloaded the online version and keep it with all the manuals for my RV. Here is a link to the online Manitoba version http://digitalcollection.gov.mb.ca/a...did=20528&md=1

So that slack adjuster info come in handy yet? I can see a over the road truckers needing that info but when is the last time anyone needed to adjust theirs?
Old 01-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
So that slack adjuster info come in handy yet? I can see a over the road truckers needing that info but when is the last time anyone needed to adjust theirs?
I agree that it is hard to get under our rigs and check the slack.

This is a case where there is some discrepancies between the manuals, so I follow the Alberta manual, of which I only have a printed copy. Page 83 of the April 2012 Air Brake Manual states:
"To be properly adjusted for a 100 PSI (690kPa) application, the automatic slack adjusters must regularly receive 100 PSI (690 kPa) applications."

In the margin beside this is a Road Sense Tip that says:
"Develop a routine of regularly applying full service brake applications to maintain the adjustments of the automatic slack adjusters.

"With the spring park brake released and the brakes cool, apply a full service brake application. A good habit is to apply one full application at each red light, stop sign, etc."

So, yes, I do follow the advice in the last sentence of the Road Sense Tip. Interestingly, the Manitoba and Newfoundland manuals aren't so clear on this. The right column of the Manitoba manual on page 72 comes close for this.

Interestingly, when I follow the "...good habit [advice] to apply one full application at each red light, stop sign, etc." I find that my shoes are so wide that I apply the throttle when I get to the point of making a full brake application, which means I need to be careful when I make hard stops.

To make a long story short, the Alberta Air Brake manual does have useful advice about slack adjusters for RV owners. It has a lot of other good information, so it is a good idea to read one of these manuals if you drive an RV.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #40

Automatic Slack Adjusters

BTW, on rereading your comment, I see the you wonder whether we might need to adjust our automatic slack adjusters. The documentation on this is clear that adjusting an automatic slack adjuster is a temporary measure for emergencies only. In general, it will damage the automatic slack adjuster.

So, I think we should all be trying to avoid these emergency situations by checking our slack adjusters when the rig is serviced.

Tags
berkshire