Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #1

Purchasing Extended Warranty

First ever post. Buying a new '15 Berkshire XL 40BH and contemplating whether to purchase an Extended Warranty. I never used the extended warranty on my old motorhome (had it transferred when I bought it used). I don't know if I was just lucky but in the years we had it, nothing came up that would have been either warranty covered or simply worth having it fixed by someone else (I'm handy but never even thought about the old warranty until today).

My question to any Berkshire owner out there is "Are extended warranties worth it?"

Wife and I plan to break in the unit over the next year and then sell the house and fulltime.
boxers-rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #2

First of all welcome to the Berk family and FR forum. You will find lots of opinions on extended warranties. Some like them, some say it is not worth it.

My take on them is wait until after your first year of ownership before buying one. FR gives a one year warranty on the entire coach. Freight Liner has a 5 year and I believe Cummins and Allison are both 3 year.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #3

Isn't it more cost effective to buy the extended warranty at time of unit purchase? I thought the ability and cost of purchasing it later, after the 1st year FR warranty runs out, made it prohibitive.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #4

It depends on who you purchase from. Mine was actually cheaper than what my dealer offered me at the time I purchased my Berk. The dealership makes profit on EW that they sell. It may be negotiable, but most dealers won't give much of a price break on it.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #5

I've gotten one quote from the dealer (Compass) and another from Wholesale Warranties. What other companies offer EW's?
Old 05-12-2015, 07:17 AM   #6

I am surprised not one comment that "if it doesn't come from the manufacture it is not an extended warranty it is a service contract". As mentioned dealers make money on selling service contracts. I am not aware of any RV manufacture who offer an extended warranty but I have not explored all of them. My personal experience is #1 they are very expensive #2 they exclude more items than they cover.
From my experience and I purchased 2 out of 3 contracts with the FR being the only one without, I could not justify the $7,000 dealer wanted. The one plus is if you purchase one at time you purchase unit and finance it the cost is spread over length of loan.
This may not make up your mind but if you feel better knowing you have an insurance policy to hopefully cover major items go for it.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
Retired IT Manager (NERD)

I have had a service contract on every motorhome owned (5). I do not buy from dealer I go direct. I have saved consider able dollars over the years. If you would like info plesse msg me would be happy to discuss.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #8

I am going nuts talking to different brokers/companies regarding EW/Service contracts. So far, believe it or not, the one the dealer offers is the best I've found, price wise and for what it covers. The dealers Tire & Wheel Road hazard isn't the cheapest though. I'm curious as to what companies you've used. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
I am surprised not one comment that "if it doesn't come from the manufacture it is not an extended warranty it is a service contract". As mentioned dealers make money on selling service contracts. I am not aware of any RV manufacture who offer an extended warranty but I have not explored all of them. My personal experience is #1 they are very expensive #2 they exclude more items than they cover.
From my experience and I purchased 2 out of 3 contracts with the FR being the only one without, I could not justify the $7,000 dealer wanted. The one plus is if you purchase one at time you purchase unit and finance it the cost is spread over length of loan.
This may not make up your mind but if you feel better knowing you have an insurance policy to hopefully cover major items go for it.
Some would call it a plus (financing it in) but it depends on the terms of the loan and the length on the service contact.

For instance if you have a 7 year service contract but a 10 year loan you are paying interest on that service contract for 3 more years than you are using it making the actual cost of it even more.

I am not saying that service contracts are a bad deal you just have to think about all the pros and cons of financing it in.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:44 AM   #10

Just received a quote from Good Sam. I'm blown away with how expensive it is compared to the quote I received from the dealer. The dealer quote is from Compass RV Protection and from all appearances, their Platinum level seems as good or better than any quote I've received so far. Does anyone have any experiences with Compass?
Old 05-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #11
Retired IT Manager (NERD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxers-rule View Post
Just received a quote from Good Sam. I'm blown away with how expensive it is compared to the quote I received from the dealer. The dealer quote is from Compass RV Protection and from all appearances, their Platinum level seems as good or better than any quote I've received so far. Does anyone have any experiences with Compass?
Call 1-800-939-2806 for a quote they will save you big money. Tell them Dave Ortin referred you save a little more. I have never had an issue with them.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #12

I actually have a couple of quotes from Wholesale Warranties and have spoken to them a few times. Unfortunately, their price is $1G higher and looking over the coverage in both their contract and the one I received from the dealer (Compass RV Protection), the dealer's contract appears much better. Only problem I have now is whether to buy one or not. I'm hoping to hear some feedback from other users who purchased Compass. Thanks so much for getting back to me. Rick
Old 05-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #13

I did a quick search on Compass, you can google them, they are adminstered by American Guardian, you can read reviews and consumer reports here Top 66 Complaints and Reviews about American Guardian Warranty Services, Inc and here American Guardian Warranty, a total ripoff in my opinion

The reviews are all over the place from good to bad.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:18 AM   #14

Be aware that even insurance companies have standards of repair hours for defects and most frequently the service facility asks for more hours and you must foot the difference. You generally do not find this out until your service facility does its diagnosis and contacts the insurance company. Then it is too late to back out, since you will owe for the diagnosis.

I had one such problem and contacted the insurance company myself to determine if the problem was covered. In retrospect, I should have gotten the insurance company's hours for the repair. I could have then went into the service company and asked if they could meet the covered hours.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #15

I bought a service contract from wholesale warranties when I bought my Berk. It has paid for itself plus. Normally it cost me money for work done but it also pays for room and food if I can't stay in the coach. I would buy another just for peace of mind. Also I have coach net for towing service another great investment. Jim
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty