Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #1

Q: RE: Microwave on 2018 XL 40C (or maybe 38A)

Sharp R-1874.

In a non-vented application like Forest River installed these appliances, there is a option to install a charcoal filter. The install manual also recommends changing this filter every 6-12 months.

I would like to A-verify that the charcoal filter (RK-220) is installed, as this does not come with the microwave and is sold as an accessory, and B-be able to change the filters, as per the recommendation. Also the light inside the unit (oven light) might eventually need to be changed.

However, there are three screws holding in the vent louver in place. The ones on left and right are horizontal, and come out easily. However the middle one is vertical, and due to the depth of the overhead cupboard, it cannot come out without removing the microwave.

I can't figure out how to remove the microwave from the wall. I would take it down, and throw away the center screw. Then I could have easy access to the charcoal filter by removal of the screws on the left and right. Anyone got any ideas ? I guess I could also notch the bottom of the cupboard "wood", but I am afraid that would look terrible. I already have a bit of a scratch above the screw to deal with.

I attached a few photos of the microwave, as well as the diagram from the manual, showing the removal of the louvre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0734.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	161727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0735.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	161728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0739.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	161729  
Old 02-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #2

Raider nation

I have a 2017 Berk XL. To remove my microwave I had to remove the bottom of the cabinet above the microwave. When you do this you will see 2 hex bolts, one on each side. Remove these to take microwave down. Yours should be similar.
Hope this helps.