Old 08-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #41
Site Team

There are signs that some manufacturers out there are paying attention to all the complaints of poor workmanship and are producing higher quality units at only a slightly higher price point. As word gets around that there are options that do not require extensive warranty repairs, down time and frustration, more manufacturers will be forced to change or lose sales. The auto industry is a shinning example. It is interesting that one of the most if not the most discussed topic is warranty work while warranty repair threads are less prevalent on forums for other high end products

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennise View Post
I you want another example of shoddy unprofessional workmanship, have a look under your coach or trailer frame sometime.

There you will see a 'rat's-nest' of undressed poorly secured and exposed wiring hanging down and loose from your frame here and there. If you drive in any area with marginal ground clearance, some of that wiring will surely get ripped out by catching on rocks or other ground objects. Should one suffer from a 'tire bomb', those tire fragments will rip out some of that loose wiring as actually did happen to a friend. Really now, how much more cost would be incurred by the addition of a couple dozen 'tie-wraps to secure the wiring'?

Detroit suffered from poor automotive quality in the 70's while the Japanese steadily hammered Detroit with superior quality automotive vehicles. If RV manufacturers here continue producing poor quality products, might they experience the same competition from another country or someone more attuned to quality? It's not ALWAYS about $$$$$.

Dennise, I don't know what kind of RV you're talking about but it's certainly not a Berkshire. I've been to the plant and I've been all over my Berk, plumbing and wiring are coordinated, organized and securely fastened.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 08-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #43
Mod free 5er

I fully understand the frustration with the quality of the units, but I doubt very seriously if anyone with complaints has ever worked a day on their own job without making mistakes or taking shortcuts when the boss is on your case constantly. Lighten up a little folks. The workers at FR are mostly Amish and are diligent, hard working individuals just trying to do the best they can in an environment they didn't create. Y'all need to direct your gripes to the folks that deserve it which is management and certainly not constantly bad mouth the poor workers on the line. They only do what they are told to do.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I fully understand the frustration with the quality of the units, but I doubt very seriously if anyone with complaints has ever worked a day on their own job without making mistakes or taking shortcuts when the boss is on your case constantly. Lighten up a little folks. The workers at FR are mostly Amish and are diligent, hard working individuals just trying to do the best they can in an environment they didn't create. Y'all need to direct your gripes to the folks that deserve it which is management and certainly not constantly bad mouth the poor workers on the line. They only do what they are told to do.
+2
X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I'll turn the page a little. I have had very few problems with my Berkshire. Yes I did have a few on the shake down, but for the most part I have been lucky.

Knock on wood.
Me too.... However, the number of posts in this thread just in the last 24 hours speak VOLUMES as to how many feel about their coaches. Except for CS, which everyone seems to love, FR is not very well thought of. That surprises me, based upon the "love fest" most of us have had with Randy and his crew.

I have always referred to my Berk as "the Chevrolet of coaches" because it's a "no frills" unit. I too have always felt the workmanship was mediocre at best. Still, I can't complain at this point, since I bought mine for $20K under average wholesale and have had almost NO problems at all.

Boowho??
Old 08-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #46

Old Coot- I agree, the issue is NOT the worker on the line! The issue of poor quality in a product is generally not operator driven/caused. What causes a poor quality product is not poor workmanship. It is poor engineering design, no or poorly defined production methods, tools that don't work, processes that don't consistently give the same results, unrealistic expectations by management for operator/plant output. I've seen it way too many times in my long career!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
There are signs that some manufacturers out there are paying attention to all the complaints of poor workmanship and are producing higher quality units at only a slightly higher price point. As word gets around that there are options that do not require extensive warranty repairs, down time and frustration, more manufacturers will be forced to change or lose sales. The auto industry is a shinning example. It is interesting that one of the most if not the most discussed topic is warranty work while warranty repair threads are less prevalent on forums for other high end products
Flybob, I've heard just the opposite.... Supposedly, due the record number of coaches being sold now, the entire industry has gone into a building frenzy and is cutting even more corners to get as many out the door as possible.

Maybe not true, but that's the poop I've heard. Allegedly makes the 3-5 year old units actually hold their value better, since they will more in demand.

Just sayin'....... YMMV.

Boowho??
Old 08-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbendr View Post
Yes, they know about it all and of course have approved of and had the warranty work performed. Now for this latest issue , I sent an email to Randy Houser and followed up with a call to Mike Bucowski. Mike agreed that my coach has more and bigger issues than most and I am now waiting for a call back from them.
Wow, sorry to hear of all those issues. I see you are in Temecula, not far from me (Santee). Are you using a dealer in San Marcos or Temecula? I think I might be tempted to plan a really nice sight seeing trip to Elkhart, Indiana.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
All it would take is one manufacturer of rv's, not the high end rigs, but the rv's for us everyday people, to turn out a reasonably priced, quality built rig. One that was built to a quality standard, and not to fill a quota for the day. One where the workers who were building it were told to take a bit of extra time and effort to do it right.
That manufacturer would set a standard that sooner or later the others would have to meet.
For something like that to happen would require a screeching halt of all sales of new units by prospective buyers.
But as we all know, buyers of new rigs are always wearing the "blinders" and only see the "new glitz n glamor" of that new rv their looking at.
Grumpy
We have this:

Rockwood.

Bruce
Old 08-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

OC thank you so very much. I have tried to stay off the doom and gloom posts but it just gets to much sometimes. Well said as usual.

Tags
quality