Old 08-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #51

You all have vented your frustrations about Quality and Workmanship with many laying the blame on workers, quality control or management. I agree with a lot of what you all are saying.

I however do blame a lot on design. The designers should specify how things are put together, what components are installed and keep vigilant in making corrective action as pitfalls are brought to light (seemingly mostly by customers). I don't understand why for five model years that customers had to suffer with the Girard water heater. Do not understand why even on new models that plates need to be installed under wardrobe slides. I led a crusade in early 2012 to get FR to change the drivers window. FR took the dual pane out of the 2011 because it was clouding up and the window rattled like a banshee. I was the first MH to have the window changed out.So they made the slide smaller to not rattle. Not quite a 100% fix. I can go on and on.

Yes, management has final say, but they probably are not techies. FR needs a good middle management design team - imho
Hank

Old 08-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #52
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

They just need someone there to take the ball and run with it. Folks have a lot of good ideas and they should take note. When I toured the plant at Millersburg I had a suggestion about the pantry door that he wrote down and he indicated it could be implement as he is the product development person which also gave us our tour. Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #53

Every problem I have had has been with something that ForestRiver did not manufacture. The supplier are the problem in my book. You only have so much control. Everyone wants it to be perfect at this price point how can you expect that? Randy and the Berkshire crew are the best in the industry in my book. We get one heck of a value for the money that is why I bought it! You want it perfect be prepared for sticker shock and I guarantee you wouldn't buy it!
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I fully understand the frustration with the quality of the units, but I doubt very seriously if anyone with complaints has ever worked a day on their own job without making mistakes or taking shortcuts when the boss is on your case constantly. Lighten up a little folks. The workers at FR are mostly Amish and are diligent, hard working individuals just trying to do the best they can in an environment they didn't create. Y'all need to direct your gripes to the folks that deserve it which is management and certainly not constantly bad mouth the poor workers on the line. They only do what they are told to do.
Well put!
Old 08-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
Every problem I have had has been with something that ForestRiver did not manufacture. The supplier are the problem in my book. You only have so much control. Everyone wants it to be perfect at this price point how can you expect that? Randy and the Berkshire crew are the best in the industry in my book. We get one heck of a value for the money that is why I bought it! You want it perfect be prepared for sticker shock and I guarantee you wouldn't buy it!
Forest River doesn't manufacture, they procure from suppliers and assemble what the FR designers call out. The suppliers are not the problem.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #56
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yawn

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Old 08-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #57
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Forest River doesn't manufacture, they procure from suppliers and assemble what the FR designers call out. The suppliers are not the problem.
When an appliance fails, it is definitely the supplier and has nothing whatsoever to do with the rv design. Suppliers need to furnish certifications that whatever they ship has been tested.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
You are right we are the problem is wanting something for less! I have worked in the manufacturing sector Retired now . Everyone wants something and are not willing to pay for it. You buy inexpensive and want a million dollar coach. Not going to happen. Would you be willing to pay 600K plus for your Berkshire? I don't think so you want some thing for nothing. What did your house cost? An RV is a house on wheels so you have several different things going on. Get over it!
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #59
Site Team

COPQ is is more expensive than doing it right the first time. The cost to replace and ship a major component and then pay to have it replaced is easily more than spending an extra hour or two to get it right the first time.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #60

I worked in the parachute industry for 25+ years and I can tell you the certs mean nothing from the suppliers. Most people wouldn't pay what it costs to make sure the venders are supplying materials that meet your spec. It is much cheaper to fix after something fails.

Ham KG5LTL.

Tags
quality