Old 08-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #61
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
I worked in the parachute industry for 25+ years and I can tell you the certs mean nothing from the suppliers. Most people wouldn't pay what it costs to make sure the venders are supplying materials that meet your spec. It is much cheaper to fix after something fails.
Not what I meant, just a cert to verify that they tested the units they ship. I know what DOD certifications imply and @ Lockheed, no certs, no receiving it into the plant. We even went to the suppliers to verify them. The rv industry could not exist using the DOD standards. We paid in excess of $100,000.00 for a hydraulic pump, motor and reservoir you could easily load on the tailgate of a pickup. It was certified good for 27 yrs of service and I watched the accelerated testing of it for verification.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #62

We built a new house I can tell you the Berkshire has had fewer problems than a new house and it costs a lot more and does not travel down the road! I think we have a bargain.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #63
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not what I meant, just a cert to verify that they tested the units they ship. I know what DOD certifications imply and @ Lockheed, no certs, no receiving it into the plant. We even went to the suppliers to verify them. The rv industry could not exist using the DOD standards. We paid in excess of $100,000.00 for a hydraulic pump, motor and reservoir you could easily load on the tailgate of a pickup. It was certified good for 27 yrs of service and I watched the accelerated testing of it for verification.
OC - glad to see someone else pull aviation and government regulations into some RV discussions here. But you're correct - if the entire RV manufacturing industry had to abide by the minimum standards that the aviation industry has to,then quality would be much much better. I have said here before if I was in charge of Quality Assurance and Quality Control at any RV manufacturer,things would be much better. But of course,the cost would be higher up front,but reduced in the "Let the dealer fix it" area after the unit is out the factory door.

I might also consider hiring you as my assistant,but you would have to improve your relationship skills first.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #64
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
...I might also consider hiring you as my assistant,but you would have to improve your relationship skills first.
Don't think so, I was the Source Validation Team leader and had 3 others working for me when we did audits.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #65

We found certs to be bogus and we setup our own test lab it increased the price of our parachutes substantially but all materials met or exceeded our specs . You cannot believe the how much we rejected and someone else accepted our rejects because they relied on the certs.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #66
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't think so, I was the Source Validation Team leader and had 3 others working for me when we did audits.
That's what I mean - you were probably authorized 10 more,but ...
Old 08-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #67
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
That's what I mean - you were probably authorized 10 more,but ...
As usual, you're wrong again.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #68
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
We found certs to be bogus and we setup our own test lab it increased the price of our parachutes substantially but all materials met or exceeded our specs . You cannot believe the how much we rejected and someone else accepted our rejects because they relied on the certs.
Bogus certs in our business was/is criminal and was/is punished.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #69

x2
Old 08-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #70

When FR buys say a fridge from Dimetic they are told how it must be installed. Dometic then audits FR with in site inspections to insure the product is being installed correctly. From year to year the instal may be different as everyone gets more experience with what works best. So from year to year the instal specs can be totally different. FR doesn't just decide how to install a fridge or a slide out bit is spec from the manufacture. It seems that so many think that this whole industry is some kind of fly by night gypsy outfit.
That couldn't be further from the truth. FR employees care deeply about quality control and they work extremely hard in less than ideal conditions. So why don't they build a new modern facility? Remember a few year ago when the industry about went belly up? That's why. Some of these buildings will be empty again as the economy changes.
I hate these kind of posts because people end up with hurt feelings and it accomplishes absolutely nothing. No one feels better and a bunch of wrong info is tossed out there as fact.
My recommendation is to talk to the factory warranty people and work through the issues in a calm matter. I can only speak for Diesel Division when I say that FR will make it right. That is a fact that they have proven over and over. So get a grip on the issues figure out if you have a bad dealer and find a good one and get the issues fixed. No one on this forum is a RV repair person and lots of the info is BS.

Tags
quality