Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #1

Question

I am doing my homework on a new motorcoach. I really like the 390bh-60. I have been reading a lot about problems that this coach has. Between the air conditioners not keeping the unit cool, the heat pumps not keeping it warm in cold weather etc.. Is this coach worth the investment? I am def. interested in a bunk house model, diesel pusher. Thanks for the help
Gonzo431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

altho I cant help you with your question I welcome you to the forum !
You'll get a lot of advice regardless .
Have fun in your search !

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo431 View Post
I am doing my homework on a new motorcoach. I really like the 390bh-60. I have been reading a lot about problems that this coach has. Between the air conditioners not keeping the unit cool, the heat pumps not keeping it warm in cold weather etc.. Is this coach worth the investment? I am def. interested in a bunk house model, diesel pusher. Thanks for the help
Hi Gonzo and welcome to the forum. When we looked at DP bunk house models the choices were rather slim at the price point of the Berkshire. Tiffin had an Allegro at the same price point and Damon (now Thor) had one also. We looked long and hard and came to the conclusion that the Berkshire was the best bang for the buck.

As to the two issues you are looking at being deal breakers, I think you would have to first evaluate how you are going to use the rig. Are you going to be doing a lot of summer hot area camping or the opposite of much cold weather camping. We have found the furnaces to be adequate for what we use the unit for. We did find that summer temps in Branson, MO, that topped 100 degrees were hard for the A/C to keep up with. Other than that one time we have not had any issues that would make us uncomfortable in the unit. I think if you look at the A/C and furnace units of the comparably priced bunk diesel pushers, you'll find that most are running the same A/C units and furnaces. We are looking at the possibility of changing out the A/C's to 15k units.

Overall, I would take the Berk over anything else at this price point. Tiffin has had major structural issues and their quality control seems to be almost nonexistent. Thor seems like a much cheaper constructed unit, so again I'm back to the Berk at this price point.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #4

Thank you for the information and it is nice to meet everyone.
Gonzo431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Gonzo,

There are quite a few of us on here who have the 390bh. Perhaps more will pipe up with their experiences. Ours have been very positive with both the unit and the dealer, Buffalo RV (RVOne). If we were to look at another bunk house I would definitely look at another Berkshire. Our girls are 15, going on 16, so our bunk house days are probably numbered, although we do have a couple of grand kids from my two older children, so you never know!

There is one modification we made to our unit. We took out the love seat behind the passenger side seat and replaced it with a counter and drawers. The love seat was pretty much useless and very uncomfortable. The added storage of more drawers and the added counter space have been a much needed improvement.

Ed
Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #6

Gonzo,
I couldn't agree more with Ed's comments about the 390bh with one exception. We find the love seat behind the passenger to be fairly comfortable and have not had any problems with it. I don't know if the design was changed between 2008 and 2011 that would make it uncomfortable. Other than that, we really like our coach- and I'm sure that Ed will keep it or get another bunk model because as he will find out, the grandchildren really like travelling in the coach.
Welcome to the forums and good luck with your search.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Tom,

You are correct that the love seat and couch design changed after 2011. I have looked at the couches in the 2012 and 2013 models and they are very comfortable. I had thought about changing mine out, but haven't pursued it. There are always trade offs. In the new units I do not like the wood bunk doors.

Gonzo,

Like Ed and Tom, I also like my 390BH. I have looked at all of the other models and at the price point and for what I use it for, I have found it to be the best deal. I have the 390BH-40, tow a CRV and have had no power issues. I put 15,000 miles on it last year, all over the East Coast and Midwest. Mountain driving in West Virginia was a breeze, as well as the Carolina's. I do not full time in it, but it is always ready to go. Good luck with you search!

Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #8

I echo all of the previous posts. We've had our 390bh for a little over a year and we love it! We started in a popup, the a c class, then a Thor gas bunkhouse, and now the Berkshire. In every other case we had "RV park envy". With the Berk we are one of the big boys!

Real tile floors, full body paint, 10000lb towing, four slides, washer/dryer, large fridge, convection/microwave, electric awnings, ultraleather(I've seen worse), and 10.5 average miles per gallon while towing all at this price point?

Couple that with the Freightliner chasis and Cummins diesel reliability, and the few short comings seem very minor. With each of my previous units I have always looked for what I would get in the next one. We looked at coaches at the $400k to $500 price point and saw only modest differences(mostly more gaudie). With the Berkshire, I have no desire to move up.
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo431 View Post
Yes it is worth it! I have the 390-60. Definatly worth the extra hp of the 60. I had ac problems also. They fixed it quick under warranty. The best thing we did to help cool the unit is get a foil backed bubble wrap I cut to fit the windshield and other non insulated windows. They sell it at lowes. I forget the name. That made a huge difference in cooling. If possible try to get the dealer to upgrade ac units to 15k btu units. I would have if I knew before hand. Other wise great coach. Ken
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #10

We have a 2012 390BH60 which is our third class A MH.

We travel with two young kids and two dogs and use the unit between 30 -50 nights per years. When it comes to the Berk ... would we do it again .... absolutely. Although the interior finish is not quite as good as our past units ( Triple E, Fleetwood Discovery) the value for the dollar is bang on. In my opinion, the Fleetwood or the Tippen have a higher level of interior finish ... the $100 -$150K premium is not worth the difference.

We have had problems with both the front AC/Heatpump and the front step (both very comman problem). Both have been replaced on warranty. We spent most of our travel this summer in the southern Califinia heat with no front AC ... before we realized that the unit was not working at all. On one AC, the unit was quite warm but not unbearable. When teh unit was replaced, I paid the additional $500-600 to have the front AC increased from 13.5 to 15. I had looked into the possiblity of putting a third unit in the kitchen but was told by the Forest River engineer that the roof was not designed to hold the extra weight.

This is a great unit with a family friendy layout. Dring with a tow vehicle in behind is a breeze and the larger engine is surely worth the price difference.

If you have money to burn ... then consider the Fleetwood or Tiffin ... otherwise save your money any buy a Berk ... you will not be disappointed.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
2011 Berkshire 390bh

If you do decide to check out the Tiffin be very, very careful. Tiffin has had some very major structural issues with a lot of their motorhomes and yes, Bob will fix it....if you're willing to truck off to Red Bay, Alabama and spend weeks and even months there. Personally I am so glad we never bought the Tiffin.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
Berkshire 390QS

We have a 2009 390QS, For the price is a good HM. We took out the jack knife couch behind the drivers seat and put in a recliner and much better to watch TV. Just the two of us and plenty of room and storage in the basement. Yes the inside cabinets are lower quality then the higher end coaches but the price is way lower.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

Picked my 390BH-60 up on Sat. It handled real well coming home to NJ out of western NY. So far so good.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Guy View Post
Picked my 390BH-60 up on Sat. It handled real well coming home to NJ out of western NY. So far so good.

That's good to know with the wind that we had over the weekend. It was a little bit windy up here in WNY so I'm glad to hear that it handled well with the wind. I still remember when we first picked up our 390bh and it was a windy day. I thought it was going to be as bad as our gasser and it was pretty easy to handle in some good sized gusts.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #15

Mike,
Congratulations. I think you will be very happy with your unit. I love my RV and look forward to many years with it.