Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Question to dealer about weight issue on 2013's

Hello again. I am working with the dealer on the final parts of my purchase of the 2013 390RB. My final issue may be my biggest and one that will cause me not to buy the coach until it is fixed. From my reading I understand that 2013s had a weight issue that is only fixed with the "275" tires and new front air bags. So, If I have the smaller tires (forget what they are) and if it has not been fixed, the coach has that very issue right? I have read that it is about a $6000.00 fix and that is not something I want to take on. Is there any other way to tell if this coach has the weight issue and it has not been fixed? I know there is something to do with the "yellow sticker", but not sure I understand that part. Thanks, Glenn
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #2

Glenn
You don't have to open multiple threads on the same subject. Having 275 tires means you do not have to run the 255's at their 110lb max. limit. The tires and air bags get you a re-certified front axle at 12,000lbs (originally 10,410lbs). The rear axle is 17,500lbs, so you have a total of 29,910 lbs carrying capability. Since the Allison 2500mh tranny limits you to 33,000 lbs, that is your GCWR for motorhome and toad.

A full load of fresh water adds 720 lbs alone. Yes, you want the seller to tell you what the door's yellow sticker says. But it has not always been true, so the least the dealer can do for you is drive it down the road to a truck stop and get a CAT weighing.

You are in the driver's seat when buying or negotiating when on a telephone. Sitting in the seller's office, you are not.
Hank
Old 11-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Glenn
You don't have to open multiple threads on the same subject. Having 275 tires means you do not have to run the 255's at their 110lb max. limit. The tires and air bags get you a re-certified front axle at 12,000lbs (originally 10,410lbs). The rear axle is 17,500lbs, so you have a total of 29,910 lbs carrying capability. Since the Allison 2500mh tranny limits you to 33,000 lbs, that is your GCWR for motorhome and toad.

A full load of fresh water adds 720 lbs alone. Yes, you want the seller to tell you what the door's yellow sticker says. But it has not always been true, so the least the dealer can do for you is drive it down the road to a truck stop and get a CAT weighing.

You are in the driver's seat when buying or negotiating when on a telephone. Sitting in the seller's office, you are not.
Hank
Sorry Hank, I did not realize I had asked this question before, a lot going on and the information I am finding here has proved invaluable. I won't post anything else about this issue and hope I can just learn from what I read. -Glenn
Old 11-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #4

Forest River for some of us have replaced the airbags and tires at their expense. We are original owners I don't know if they will do it for free for second owners but I suspect they would. Mine is being done this week.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #5

I just found out that the coach has the 255 tires on it, so...no upgrade has been accomplished. I just called and told the dealership that if it's not corrected I am not going to purchase the coach. I hope they do the right thing, we really like it.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
I just found out that the coach has the 255 tires on it, so...no upgrade has been accomplished. I just called and told the dealership that if it's not corrected I am not going to purchase the coach. I hope they do the right thing, we really like it.
You are now in the driver's seat. You don't just want tires; you need the front axle upgrade. I'm sure that FR will do it, but let your dealer get the approval. Even if approved and it is not done before purchase, you need to get it stated on the purchase document.
Hank
Old 11-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #7

I thought this issue was a "free" fix??
Old 11-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I thought this issue was a "free" fix??
I certainly hope it is Cajun and the dealership takes care of it.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1447558656.834815.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	94319
Rhouser@forestriverinc.com

Right this number down.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #10

Subsailor I sent you a PM. Also are you one of those weirdos that used to travel around in a large coffin sneaking around the world deep under water hiding from everyone. We have one like that already. He's ok but not sure we all trust him.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:31 AM   #11

I would talk to Forest River. Freightliner at Gaffney SC did my mod. If you could get FR commitment to cover the expense you might also ask if there is a facility in your area that they would suggest for doing the upgrade.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Subsailor I sent you a PM. Also are you one of those weirdos that used to travel around in a large coffin sneaking around the world deep under water hiding from everyone. We have one like that already. He's ok but not sure we all trust him.

Interested in knowing as well. Figured either that or he was just bad at sailing and decided to take up RVing.

If the first, thank you for your service !

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Yes, I am indeed one of those weirdos that served on submarines (26 years of it). Lots of fun! I served on 8 different boats from 1980 until I retired in 2006 and did two COB tours. It was fun while it lasted, but happy to be out of it now. I still work as a federal employee up here near Seattle at our Shipyard where I manage all of the engineer recruiting and hiring for our Shipyard. My wife is there as well in the Public Affairs Office. She never gets a break from me! (we do work on different floors in our building though) -Glenn
Old 11-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #14

Thanks for your service swabby. You and Superchief. Oh boy they are taking over guys!

Old 11-15-2015, 07:56 AM   #15

Thanks for your service Glenn. Welcome to the Berkshire family!

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Thanks for your service Glenn. Welcome to the Berkshire family!

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
X2
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #17
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Hey Marine (Phil), "Sticks and stones may break our bones, but we will blow the hell out of your house" 😂😂😂😂... (Bubblehead Motto)!! Just saying!! 😂😂😂😂😂👍 we can always use another Submarine Sailor here, especially a COB (Chief of the Boat) type!! Welcome sub sailor!!! Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
Hey Marine (Phil), "Sticks and stones may break our bones, but we will blow the hell out of your house" 😂😂😂😂... (Bubblehead Motto)!! Just saying!! 😂😂😂😂😂👍 we can always use another Submarine Sailor here, especially a COB (Chief of the Boat) type!! Welcome sub sailor!!! Craig

I guess you are correct sir. We have done ok with you so far. Carry on my sailor friends.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #19
2011 Berkshire 390BH

There are more of us than one might think on this Forum! Most are the "silent" and "stealth" type, unlike me 😂😂😂!!

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:04 PM   #20

The way I see it is with the 390 BH you can sleep 8 people and all there stuff ..... That means you can't carry anything to including toad or carrying anything in your cargo bays and a full tank of fuel or water. But I'am half way there I have upgraded my tires to 275-80R-22.5's

outloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, dealer, weight