Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #1

Rack and Pinion Bed Slide

Well, for the THIRD time, I've had to get under the bed and tighten the four bolts that hold the assembly (motor and pinion) against the rack. The thing just keeps loosening.

Anyone put locktite (blue) on theirs? Or is nobody else having this same problem?

I even bought a small hydraulic jack and wedged it between the floor of the coach and the gearbox, to hold it up against the rack tightly. It STILL came loose after awhile.

Getting dern MAD!!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Boohoo, When I recently replaced my motor, I put lock washers, star washers, and blue lock tite on it. So far, it has not come loose. Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #3

Boohoo, you haven't helped me with my kitchen slide problem (just posted), but I will try to help you. Yes, use lock washer and blue Loctite. But before tightening make sure that the gear is deep into the rack. I used a pry bar. From a technical standpoint it is very hard for the pressure of the bolt and nuts to keep the unit from slipping. You need to be careful to not use too much tightening torque to strip the threads. I would think that a thin gasket between the two surfaces would create more friction and holding power. Now, I need your help.

Hank
Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #4

I'd like to correct my prior post about the " bolts and nuts". There are no nuts, the problem is that the bolts are strong and can take a lot of torque, but the gear box is a softer metal which can't take much torque. If the bolts and housing were both steel, you would be able to really crank down. I still think a thin gasket with Loctite would help.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Boohoo, you haven't helped me with my kitchen slide problem (just posted), but I will try to help you. Yes, use lock washer and blue Loctite. But before tightening make sure that the gear is deep into the rack. I used a pry bar. From a technical standpoint it is very hard for the pressure of the bolt and nuts to keep the unit from slipping. You need to be careful to not use too much tightening torque to strip the threads. I would think that a thin gasket between the two surfaces would create more friction and holding power. Now, I need your help.

Hank
Wish I could Hank..... I looked in the basement today to check out as much as I could of the slide mechanism and it looks like the rails could maybe use a liberal application of grease. Maybe yours are dry?

There is also a rotating shaft, which I believe keeps the slide from coming in/out crooked.

The bearings for that shaft do have zerk fittings. Other than that, I'm not going to be of much help.

boowho??
Old 07-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #6

I was just pulling your chain, but anyway, good luck on you bed slide. I did a post awhile back on mine with pics. The big problem is that the gear housing that the bolts screw into is probably aluminum. You can't torque down on the aluminum and thereby there isn't enough holding pressure to keep the gear box from dropping.

Hank
Old 07-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #7

Yeah, it's a pretty ****-poor design as far as I can see.

If it drops one more time, I'm going to remove the entire motor/gearbox assembly and drill oversize holes all the way through the aluminum housing.

Then replace the 4 bolts with 4 LONGER bolts (and nuts) going all the way through the housing. Think I can put enough torque on those to hold the damn thing??

Especially if I put a piece of 1/16 inch thick rubber (like part of an old inner tube) as a "gasket" to help create more friction between the metal pieces.

If THAT don't do it, I'll trade the damn coach off for another one!! SHEEESH!!!

Boowho??
Old 07-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #8

Boohoo, go for it and let me know how you make out!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #9

Be careful kids. I checked mine today. Thought it was loose. The gear box is just a soft casting. The weight of the motor cracked one of the mounting ears off. Should not be hanging such a heavy motor by the thin casting. I am using JB weld to repair the casting and reinforce the remaining ears and am making a platform to hold the motor up rather than letting it hang by the casting.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, slide