Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #11

Hawk,
I have a 2008 coach with a 340hp engine. The manufacture date of the engine is December 5, 2007. I have the same CM2150 engine. Did Freightliner say if the problem affected certain engine manufacture dates?
Tom

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #12

The only thing I learned from the tech who worked on my engine in OKC was that they've seen "several" of these hub failures over the years. Mine, however, was the first they'd seen in two years so it's not too frequent. I'd really like to talk to FL at the corporate and engineering level, but doubt if they'd be very forthcoming. I used to live next to a DOT rep in the DC area who worked recall issues. He said the first reaction of most manufacturers was to deny, stonewall and dig their heels in. Recall usually had to be forced on them from high levels. Might be worth your effort to have a FL RV service facility look at your fan hub and check the bolts. Access is difficult, but it may be worth it. Not sure what to do about mine in the future, but it will be checked by myself at least. Wish I could be more specific. Let me know if you ever find out anything.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #13

I had the same problem with my 2008 Berkshire. The repair shop said that there were only 4 bolts to secure the fan hub. In their opinion that was not enough to handle the stress placed on it. The repair shop suggested that I contact Freightliner to see if there was a recall. I did that and the Rep at FL said there was no recall but they now offer for purchase a new fan hub with FIVE bolts. This tells me that they know of the problem but they are not going to do anything about it. I then sent a letter off to Good Sam's Club Hot Line to see if they could offer some assistance as I also had to pay over $2000 for the repair work. Good Sam sent a letter off to FL. They did not even get a response from FL so they sent off a second letter to them after a few months. Again no response so Good Sam declared the matter to be complete. Needless to say I was not very happy with this. Someone needs to put pressure on FL to make good on this matter.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #14

Maybe we should start a poll to see how many have been affected by this. I guess we should log the year of the coach, when the engine was manufactured, and the mileage the when the failure occurred. If anyone can set this up it would be a big help in possibly getting Freightliner to do something about this problem.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Maybe we should start a poll to see how many have been affected by this. I guess we should log the year of the coach, when the engine was manufactured, and the mileage the when the failure occurred. If anyone can set this up it would be a big help in possibly getting Freightliner to do something about this problem.
Good idea on the poll........

I'd also like to know if they made mods to the newer engines to correct the problem. Who actually makes the fan assembly; Freightliner or Cummins??

Boowho??
Old 04-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #16

boowho: My understanding, talking to FL repair shop in OKC, is that the fan hub, fan, shroud and other accessories are added by FL to the engine after they receive it from Cummins for installation on their chassis before they sell it to Forest River. It's probable this configuration also shows on chassis assemblies sold to RV manufacturers besides FR.

tmmar: A poll would be a good idea, but it would only be anecdotal and dependent on owners being a member of a forum like this and interested in sharing a story. Not sure how else we'd be able to find others with this problem.

hark582: Sounds like you did what I was about to. Learning that there's a five bolt hub available is evidence it's happened often enough they made engineering mods at the manufacturing level. My tech in OKC drilled and tapped a new hole for mine. Good Sam's efforts were not helpful at all. Two no-responses is a row doesn't solve a problem. It just allows them to not expend anymore effort.

I'm thinking in terms of doing a google search to find the recall desk at DOT in DC and interest them in this problem. DOT might have the horsepower to ask FL to ask about the problem. hark582's news that FL now sells a 5 bolt hub is evidence there's a recognized problem at FL. I'll be back if I find anything.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Driver View Post
boowho: My understanding, talking to FL repair shop in OKC, is that the fan hub, fan, shroud and other accessories are added by FL to the engine after they receive it from Cummins for installation on their chassis before they sell it to Forest River. It's probable this configuration also shows on chassis assemblies sold to RV manufacturers besides FR.

tmmar: A poll would be a good idea, but it would only be anecdotal and dependent on owners being a member of a forum like this and interested in sharing a story. Not sure how else we'd be able to find others with this problem.

hark582: Sounds like you did what I was about to. Learning that there's a five bolt hub available is evidence it's happened often enough they made engineering mods at the manufacturing level. My tech in OKC drilled and tapped a new hole for mine. Good Sam's efforts were not helpful at all. Two no-responses is a row doesn't solve a problem. It just allows them to not expend anymore effort.

I'm thinking in terms of doing a google search to find the recall desk at DOT in DC and interest them in this problem. DOT might have the horsepower to ask FL to ask about the problem. hark582's news that FL now sells a 5 bolt hub is evidence there's a recognized problem at FL. I'll be back if I find anything.
Here's an immediate step you folks can take, doesn't change inherent design.
The existing bolts were reported at 3mm diameter x 4, that's pretty anemic for the load. If the bolts are Class 8.8 Metric which I suspect they are, that isn't much to rotate that high horsepower load. You can change the bolts to a much higher grade strength both shear and tensile in Class 12.9. Set the bolts in Loktite and wait for the factory mod. BTW the strength value of this upgrade is more than twice the 8.8 class standard bolts. How bout NTSA in addition to Dot?
NTSA provides forms on line to complain of unsafe conditions.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Driver View Post

Hawk, if you find anything out as who we can notify about this, let us know so we can all send an email. Maybe if they get a number of complaints, something will be done to help us.

vince, where can these class 12.9 bolts be found?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Here's an immediate step you folks can take, doesn't change inherent design.
The existing bolts were reported at 3mm diameter x 4, that's pretty anemic for the load. If the bolts are Class 8.8 Metric which I suspect they are, that isn't much to rotate that high horsepower load. You can change the bolts to a much higher grade strength both shear and tensile in Class 12.9. Set the bolts in Loktite and wait for the factory mod. BTW the strength value of this upgrade is more than twice the 8.8 class standard bolts. How bout NTSA in addition to Dot?
NTSA provides forms on line to complain of unsafe conditions.
Something is wrong here, a 3 mm bolt is only 0.118". That has to be an error.
Maybe 8mm which is .315". I would tap them out to a 3/8" UNC and use gr. 8 bolts.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Hawk, if you find anything out as who we can notify about this, let us know so we can all send an email. Maybe if they get a number of complaints, something will be done to help us.

vince, where can these class 12.9 bolts be found?
Tom,
I used Yahoo for "Metric bolt standards" and "Metric bolt sizes". Tons of pics and tables with vendors showed up.