Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by hark582 View Post
Hawkeye Driver,

I followed your advice and filled out the online form to the NHTSA. I filled out the form on either Friday or Saturday. Believe it or not, I heard from NHTSA (Tom Bowman) already on Monday. I filled him in on exactly what happened to me. He informed me thjat the emphasis on his agency is TRAFFIC SAFETY, SO YOU WOULD HAVE TO EMPHASIZE HOW YOUR PROBLEM COULD IMPACT ON YOUR SAFETY OR THE SAFETY OF OTHERS. He told me that he had never heard of this happening to anyone else before! Perhaps your complaint did not go through. Tom told me he will first contact the manufacturer (Forest River) and then the Chassis folks (Freightliner). He then said he would get back to me with his findings. If you send me a private email, I can provide you with Tom's phone number.
Safety is what I pointed out in post #17, I wouldn't want a 20+ ton Behemoth losing all power right in front of me at 70 MPH on an Interstate......
__________________

__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,258
Does anyone know the manufacturer of the hub that is on our coach? I saw on another forum that a coach owner of a 2010 Tiffin Red Dp had the same problem and Freightliner found that there was a recall on the Horton hub and they replaced it under warranty.
__________________

__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 87
High Coolant Temp. Light

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last weekend on the way back from the Pinks All Out drag race, the High Coolant Temp., Service Engine & Shutdown Engine lights illuminated. In the effort to make a long stressful story short, the bolts holding the fan hub had sheared off and the fan was no longer operating. Freightliner is fixing the problem under warranty.

Note to those interested: The High Coolant Temp. Light comes in at 225 degrees, the Service Engine Light comes in at 230 degrees and the Shutdown Engine Light comes in at 238 degrees.


I posted the above in this forum on 5-1-2010. I had 9,000 miles on the engine at the time. The odometer is at 20,000 miles now with no further problems. The unit is a "08" Berkshire 390QS with a "07" chassis and 350 Cummins engine. The fan hub was not replaced, the only change made to the original configuration is grade 8 bolts were used to reattach the fan to the hub per Freightliner instructions.
__________________

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06nighttrain View Post
High Coolant Temp. Light

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last weekend on the way back from the Pinks All Out drag race, the High Coolant Temp., Service Engine & Shutdown Engine lights illuminated. In the effort to make a long stressful story short, the bolts holding the fan hub had sheared off and the fan was no longer operating. Freightliner is fixing the problem under warranty.

Note to those interested: The High Coolant Temp. Light comes in at 225 degrees, the Service Engine Light comes in at 230 degrees and the Shutdown Engine Light comes in at 238 degrees.



I posted the above in this forum on 5-1-2010. I had 9,000 miles on the engine at the time. The odometer is at 20,000 miles now with no further problems. The unit is a "08" Berkshire 390QS with a "07" chassis and 350 Cummins engine. The fan hub was not replaced, the only change made to the original configuration is grade 8 bolts were used to reattach the fan to the hub per Freightliner instructions.
HA! That what I and Old Coot have been sayin.......
__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,258
Happy to hear that it was fixed under warranty. Did they give you any problems about doing it under the warranty and how long did it take to do the fix?
__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Happy to hear that it was fixed under warranty. Did they give you any problems about doing it under the warranty and how long did it take to do the fix?
I had no problems at all getting the work completed under warranty. I did have to wait a week for the work to be done, because of Freightliner deciding how they wanted to fix the problem.

As I stated earlier, three years and 12,000 miles later, I haven't had a problem with the grade 8 bolts.
__________________

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,258
My coach is currently at Freightliner on Long Island having the new, 5 bolt hub installed. I sent an email to the New York State Department of Consumer Protection a while back. I didn't hear anything for some time, then I received an email from Daimler Trucks North America, Corporate Counsel, Litigation. She said I would hear from a Freightliner representative. The rep called me and said that Freightliner would take care of the repairs. He arranged with the Freightliner dealer for the repairs to be done.

So- it is being taken care of at no charge except that I am having them replace the serpentine belt and put in new anti freeze. If the radiator needs to be removed to get to the fan hub, they will need to drain it and the serpentine belt will need to be removed anyway.

Hopefully this will eliminate the problem.
__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
EJM4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mechanicsburg - PA
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
My coach is currently at Freightliner on Long Island having the new, 5 bolt hub installed. I sent an email to the New York State Department of Consumer Protection a while back. I didn't hear anything for some time, then I received an email from Daimler Trucks North America, Corporate Counsel, Litigation. She said I would hear from a Freightliner representative. The rep called me and said that Freightliner would take care of the repairs. He arranged with the Freightliner dealer for the repairs to be done.

So- it is being taken care of at no charge except that I am having them replace the serpentine belt and put in new anti freeze. If the radiator needs to be removed to get to the fan hub, they will need to drain it and the serpentine belt will need to be removed anyway.

Hopefully this will eliminate the problem.

If you are having the coolant drained you should also check into having the thermostats replaced also just as maintenance item. Should not be too much more labor intensive since they are draining the coolant.
__________________

__________________
Earl
2013 Berkshire 390BH / 360hp
EJM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.