Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Calif/ Utah
Posts: 10
Radiator Question

I have enclosed two pics of the radiator expansion tank on our 20213 Berkshire.

Biggest problem is the cap can not be removed due to the brace for the rear slide being almost on top of the cap.
Cap can be loosened but not removed.
Does anyone on here with a 2013 Berkshire 360Q MH have the same problem and how was it corrected?
Attached Images
  
__________________

__________________
Donnie and Linda Furkids Buddy and Rain
2013 Berkshire 360Q w/2013 Cherokee following close behind.
donie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Home is where I park it
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie View Post
I have enclosed two pics of the radiator expansion tank on our 20213 Berkshire.

Biggest problem is the cap can not be removed due to the brace for the rear slide being almost on top of the cap.
Cap can be loosened but not removed.
Does anyone on here with a 2013 Berkshire 360Q MH have the same problem and how was it corrected?

Sorry, can't help.... But gotta say WOW!!! a marvel in engineering and design!!!

Boowho??
__________________

boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,467
Could the whole degas bottle be removed from the bracket, in order to fill?


2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:26 AM   #4
Berkshire club
 
Berkshire Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 59
We have a 360Ql-60 and my cap can be removed but it is tight against that brace had another person from Midland tell me his was a real B to get out, it will fun if or when coolant needs adding to radiator will need a long flexible transmission funnel to get it in i have always said engineers and designers don't think anything will ever break because if the mechanics designed a coach you would have easy access to everything .
__________________
2014 360QL-60 Mystic Garnet
Berkshire Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:56 AM   #5
Member
 
billygo3251's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 93
Need someone with small hands. Loosen it and then let them push down and slowly position it so it can be removed. Just went through the same crap. Also get yourself a hand pumping for filling.
billygo3251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
mikeborny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 247
Went to start my 2014 390bh to charge batteries and had the low coolant light come on. The instructions for adding coolant attached next to radiator cap seemed long and complicated. From this thread it sounded as if you just add a gallon and good to go. Is the small tank in picture part of the coolant system? Mine was full but frozen solid.


Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 7,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeborny View Post
Went to start my 2014 390bh to charge batteries and had the low coolant light come on. The instructions for adding coolant attached next to radiator cap seemed long and complicated. From this thread it sounded as if you just add a gallon and good to go. Is the small tank in picture part of the coolant system? Mine was full but frozen solid.


Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40
That doesn't sound good. If your expansion tank froze, there's a good chance your radiator did also.
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon toad
Nights Camped 2019 - 17
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
mikeborny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 247
On a 2014 that I bought with only 6000 miles, how could the radiator not be filled with coolant/antifreeze from factory? If FL uses fleetguard, is that not antifreeze also?


Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
gasman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southwestern Mi
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
That doesn't sound good. If your expansion tank froze, there's a good chance your radiator did also.
Agree. I would definitely check that out.



Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeborny View Post
Went to start my 2014 390bh to charge batteries and had the low coolant light come on. The instructions for adding coolant attached next to radiator cap seemed long and complicated. From this thread it sounded as if you just add a gallon and good to go. Is the small tank in picture part of the coolant system? Mine was full but frozen solid.


Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40

Get it into a warm shop asap.

Then you can see if anything has been damaged by the coolant freezing. Just let it thaw, check for leaks.

Did it start? I wouldn't try starting it with a frozen block.


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
mikeborny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 247
It started up without a problem, but low coolant light came on. Then after a minute or two, the shut engine down light came on and I shut it down. In the 40's all day and tomorrow so going to add some coolant and check tomorrow.


Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:47 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
accumack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 522
Is your engine block heater plugged in?
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 741
1-800-FTL-HELP then #1 when prompted.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Whitehorse Yukon
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Get it into a warm shop asap.

Then you can see if anything has been damaged by the coolant freezing. Just let it thaw, check for leaks.

Did it start? I wouldn't try starting it with a frozen block.


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
I agree if the coolant is frozen in the surge tank than good chance it is also froze in the block & head. Hopefully it has only pushed out a frost plug & not cracked anything. I don't recommend starting it if frozen. Get to a warm shop & check for leaks.
Gee Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeborny View Post
It started up without a problem, but low coolant light came on. Then after a minute or two, the shut engine down light came on and I shut it down. In the 40's all day and tomorrow so going to add some coolant and check tomorrow.


Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40


Did it not leave the factory with the proper mixture of antifreeze?

I'm wondering how it froze?


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
mikeborny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 247
Good news is that the overflow was not frozen, just very low. Put gallon and a half of coolant in and plugged in block heater while gen was running for about 40 min. It took that long to get that damn cap off. How do you have the engine "high" idle?


Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeborny View Post
Good news is that the overflow was not frozen, just very low. Put gallon and a half of coolant in and plugged in block heater while gen was running for about 40 min. It took that long to get that damn cap off. How do you have the engine "high" idle?


Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40

Good to hear!




2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
mikeborny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 247
Thanks for search, i was able to figure out you can high idle by using cruise control. Wanted to let engine heat up to see if i can notice any leaking from radiator.


Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Easley, South Carolina
Posts: 659
Good news Mike.
__________________
Joe & Lori

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeborny View Post
Thanks for search, i was able to figure out you can high idle by using cruise control. Wanted to let engine heat up to see if i can notice any leaking from radiator.


Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40

Rock on!


Paul
2014 390 BH-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________

Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.


×