Old 08-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #1

Rattle

We have a 2012 Berkshire 360-FWS. For some time now, I have a rattle/noise which comes from above/around the front door. First, I thought it was coming from the door awning. Checked all screws for tightness, and even put pieces of foam where the arms come together, and where the covers come together, but no luck. Also put some foam around the door linkage, thinking that was the problem, no luck. Checked the light cover, but all seems tight there. It generally starts making noise at about 40 mph and higher. Anyone else have this issue, or know what might be causing the noise? Thanks.

BrakeBuddy
hawk10eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #2

I had a similar rattle but on the drivers side. It turned out the screw holding the shades was working its way out. Check the screws on the shade mount. It is tough to see and you have to get right under it to see them.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 08-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #3

Speaking of noise on the drivers side ... has anyone come up with a solution for the rattle in the drivers window?

Tim
Old 08-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
Speaking of noise on the drivers side ... has anyone come up with a solution for the rattle in the drivers window?

Tim
Nothing except replacing the window.... assuming you have the older style where the entire rear half of the window slides forward to open.

The "new" style window only has a small "port hole" type opening to allow paying tolls (mostly).

At one time, Fr would "comp" the new window, but you had to pay for installation (assuming out of warranty). I elected to keep my original window 'cause in pleasant weather, I like to drive with it completely open.

Check with Randy Houser and see if the free replacement still applies.

Someone once said that replacing the plastic lock with a metal one would also help, but I've not tried it myself. I just learned to "tune out" the rattle.

Boowho??
Old 08-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #5

My window seems fine but the screen drives me nuts. Anyone with the same issue and made a fix that works? Tried putting a folded piece on paper in the track but that looks like crap.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:57 PM   #6

Do u have a carpet on the power step. If the wind hits it just right it and the springs on the bottom flap like a bird.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #7

Ck your rt front leaf spring. Give it a good hit with the palm of your hand and see if that is the sound you are hearing, also ck that all your bolts in your step assembly are tight, also ck your lower fog light to see if has vibrated loose. I found my leaf spring rattling a little at slower speed, bumpy road conditions. Its funny I was not prepared for such unleveled pads here a while back and I had the front tires off the ground,(not something I like to do) since then My rattle is gone, may just be coincidence. If it comes back I will have my local freightliner check it for me. But the leaf spring has a small metal leaf that is a vibrate type rattle sound. I bet ours is one of the same.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #8

Rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk10eye View Post
We have a 2012 Berkshire 360-FWS. For some time now, I have a rattle/noise which comes from above/around the front door. First, I thought it was coming from the door awning. Checked all screws for tightness, and even put pieces of foam where the arms come together, and where the covers come together, but no luck. Also put some foam around the door linkage, thinking that was the problem, no luck. Checked the light cover, but all seems tight there. It generally starts making noise at about 40 mph and higher. Anyone else have this issue, or know what might be causing the noise? Thanks.

Hawk -- I had a rattle before I accepted my coach- tech rode with me and found at about 40 MPH the mud flap behind the RF tire would vibrate against a steel brace. He stuff a wash cloth in there. It quit. Back at dealer he drilled a hole and put a bolt with rubber spacer. That fixed that one.

Now I'm on my first trip with mine and another annoying noise has developed in the door area. I took a wash cloth and draped it over door & between screen door & main door. Closed door on the wash cloth. That has stopped that rattle & noise. I'll work on that when I get home.

Russell
Old 08-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #9

Russell, thanks for the info. I too had the problem with the mud flap. I had the dealer fix that after our initial test drive. My rattle is coming from, what appears to be, above the door. I did put some foam rubber around the door linkage, and it may have been a bit better, but it did not eliminate it. I will try something between the screen door and the outer door. Thanks.

John
BrakeBuddy
hawk10eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #10

And between the outer door & the door frame. I really think that is were mine is.

Russell