Old 06-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
rear dust guard

anyone weigh their rear dust guard yet (mud flaps)? the one that mounts off the hitch frame to protect anything behind you from getting rocks and things thrown at them by the rear tires of the coach. heavy rubber with shiny metal lettering that says "forest river"

i have not mounted mind since new. it was sitting in the storage bay. i finally took it out today thinking i would mount it... that thing has got to be about 70+ lbs of dead weight. it's ridiculous for what it is supposed to do considering how overweight these coaches are already... just removing that thing would do the -40 models a benefit!

i won't be using mine as there are some campgrounds i go to that are nose end low and when i level out, it would put the ground clearance at the tail end too low and would damage this dust guard.

sure looks pretty but for the weight, it's not going on my coach ever... wonder if there is a market for it?

himcules (10x stronger than hercules)
2013 Forest River Berkshire 390BH-60
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
I might be interested, previous owner of my coach bashed it up and the metal lettering is in rough shape. I'm in Canada though so that's likely a problem. Heading to Maine in July though......send me a PM.

2008 Berkshire 360QS-40
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem"
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Even though I'm a -40, I wouldn't take my off for anything. I'm to enamored of keeping my little Ford Fiesta looking new as long as possible.

boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
Food for thought - does the Berkshire have addition mud flaps right behind the rear tires? If so you'll probably be OK, but if not you might look at where the dust guard is mounted in relationship to the location of the radiator. If the dust shield is before the radiator I'd keep it on the unit, if it's after the radiator then I guess it's up to you what to do with it, but if it's an issue of weight and 70lbs makes that much difference for you then I really take a hard look at all the other stuff that you have in your unit.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote