Old 08-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #21

Sorry, my query was directed to Campin Cajun.

gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
Sorry, my query was directed to Campin Cajun.

Before I back into my garage or a camp site I turn my engine off and lower the sun shade. Mine is like yours, it won't go down all the way while the engine is running.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:11 PM   #23

Indeed, I agree that dropping the night shade all the way should work.

I'm focussed on developing a solution that can be left in place while driving and not affecting the driving view. I'm going out in a couple of weeks and may be able to find the conditions that cause the problem, so I can test my solution.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I just lower my windshield sun shade. It takes all the glare out. Works great when backing into my garage or a site.

After camping for a week we returned home but before backing into the parking spot I lowered the sun shade not all the down but just as far as it normally goes while engine is operating. I was able to see my blacked out area in the drivers side mirror which before I could see nothing. Thanks for the easy fix.

Wayne
Old 08-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #25

The issue is likely a reflection off of the driver's side window

My current thinking on this, hopefully to be tested this weekend, is that (most or all) of the problem comes from light coming through the windshield and then reflecting off of the inside of the flat driver's side window. It gets superimposed on the view from the mirror.

If this is true:
- The problem is not coming off of a reflection from the slide windows behind the driver.
- The problem arises because we have flat driver-side windows and a mirror that is approximately at or above the level of our eyes. This is why we don't see such a problem in our cars, because the side mirror is low and the window is curved inward to drive any reflection downward.
- If the Berkshire hanging mirrors are higher than the mirrors on most other motorhomes, then it might be possible to kill the reflection by dropping the front shade (to the point where it stops because the motor is running).
- If other motorhomes have lower side mirrors, it is possible that the point on the driver side window through which one looks is so low that the problematic reflected light that hits that point is reflected down towards the driver's legs, and hence isn't problematic at all.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
My current thinking on this, hopefully to be tested this weekend, is that (most or all) of the problem comes from light coming through the windshield and then reflecting off of the inside of the flat driver's side window. It gets superimposed on the view from the mirror.

If this is true:

- The problem is not coming off of a reflection from the slide windows behind the driver.

- The problem arises because we have flat driver-side windows and a mirror that is approximately at or above the level of our eyes. This is why we don't see such a problem in our cars, because the side mirror is low and the window is curved inward to drive any reflection downward.

- If the Berkshire hanging mirrors are higher than the mirrors on most other motorhomes, then it might be possible to kill the reflection by dropping the front shade (to the point where it stops because the motor is running).

- If other motorhomes have lower side mirrors, it is possible that the point on the driver side window through which one looks is so low that the problematic reflected light that hits that point is reflected down towards the driver's legs, and hence isn't problematic at all.

Even before testing this trip it was confirmed by many that reflection was from front of coach. The drivers side window picks up that reflection and consequently the mirror lowering the shade breaks or minimizes that reflection.
Your theory on mirror placement could be correct because my Allegro Bus had lower mirror placement and I had no issues like this until I got my Berk.

Wayne
Old 08-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #27

My '08 Berkshire had low mounted side mirrors and I had the same problem so I don't think that the lower mirrors would eliminate the problem.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:26 AM   #28

Again returning home under different daylight conditions I lowered the sun shade further below the mirrors still had good use of drivers side mirror but lose passenger side mirror visibility. Need to fine tune this to happy medium.

Wayne
Old 08-31-2016, 11:55 AM   #29

My simple solution to the reflection problem: a single-slat louvre

I have a solution for the problem I'm seeing with the reflection off of my driver's side window messing up the view from the driver's mirror. It does not affect my view while driving.

I'll call it a single-slat louvre. A louvre is something that blocks light from one direction and allows one to see through in another direction. Normally, a louvre has several slats, but a well-placed single slat does the job here.

I took a scrap piece of black corrugated plastic (Coroplast) that is about 7" wide by 18" high. If you are doing this, wider would be a bit better (say 9" or 10"). One edge of the plastic is wedged into one of the two black aluminum channels around the driver's side window. Then, I ran some picture-hangar wire from two of the small screws in that channel and fastened them in the middle of the Coroplast, as shown in the attached picture. It is fastened in such a way that I view it edge-on while in the driver's seat, and it doesn't obstruct my view beyond what is already blocked by the A-pillar.

However, it blocks light that enters the front window that otherwise would reflect off of the side window, superimposing a bright image over my view of the driver's side mirror.

I recommend a dark louvre for this, because it could otherwise provide a new problematic reflection in the side window of light shining on it from the side window.

In the first picture below, you can see the louvre installation from just above the centre console. Note how it blocks a reflection off the dashboard from this angle.

The second picture is from the driver's seat, but at a point higher than my normal seated eye level. You can't even see the slat. But, if you look closely beside the mirror image, you will see some puffy reflections from a spruce tree that is to the right of my RV. (BTW, I'm parked in the alley and not tail-gating my toad in this picture!)

Here is one final point to consider. Sit in the driver's seat and place a piece of masking or electrician's tape on the side window at the point where it appears to be in the middle of your view of the mirror. If the tape is above your eye level, the problematic reflections are coming from the sky and could be quite bright. If the tape is below your eye level, the problematic reflections are coming from your dash or the ground. If from the ground, they might not be too serious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reflection from dash and single slat louvre.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	478.2 KB
ID:	118992   Click image for larger version

Name:	View from driver's seat of single slat louvre.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	502.5 KB
ID:	118993  
Old 09-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #30

Thanks for all the research on this problem. I will have to try this on my coach.

Chris & Carol
2016 Berkshire 38A
2014 Honda CRV

Blue Ox base plate & tow bar. Air Force one Braking system.
ccupton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reflection, slide