Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #41

My simple solution to the reflection problem: a single-slat louvre works perfectly

In item #29 of this forum, I posted my simple single-slat louvre solution to the problem, but indicated that I hadn't tested it in the severe situations that gave real problems before.

I can now report that I have successfully tested the solution in a severe lighting situation where I would have had great trouble backing up. This gives me confidence that my solution will always work.

My situation arose because one end of my alley was blocked, so I had to back up 150 feet in my alley with a bright building reflecting onto me from the right front, but trees shading my view behind the left side of the RV. I could see reflections off of the side window beside the area blocked by the louvre. If I had to view the mirror through those reflections, it would have been very bad. But, the louvre kept the reflections off of the part of the window through which I viewed my mirror.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #42

Gordon
Thank you for hanging in there and verifying your solution. You also have made all of us aware that the problem is at its worst when the side view mirror's rearward image is much darker then the view through the front window.

My take on the cause of the problem is: The reflecting surface creating the problem is the driver's side window that is looked through to the mirror. Although this window is clear glass, it still can act as a reflector/ mirror. Therefore the line of sight from your eye to the mirror sees the mirror through the window (at an angle) and also sees a lighted image reflecting off that windows line of sight point, which is the front window. These two images are always there. When one image is bright and the other dim, your eye sees the bright one. If the reflected image is comparable in brightness to that seen in the mirror, you will see two confusing images; one on top of the other. I have that problem right now. I just had a cataract removed in the left eye and its vision is great and bright. However, my right eye, still with a cataract has a dim view and at a different magnification. I do not like my right eye's vision, because it confuses the left - LOL

Your solution is a good one and is one possible solution and a good one.
Hank
Old 10-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #43

Hank,
Thanks. Your explanation of the problem is exactly correct.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reflection, slide