Old 09-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #31

Let me add my two cents, since that is all I can afford.

The surface of the driver's side window is acting like a mirror, and it is easy to tell where the reflected image is coming from. Remember your 8th grade science, where the angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence? See......
The Law of Reflection
So that's the where of it.

Many of the posts suggested obscuring the reflected objects in the in the RV which is portions of the windshield. Rather then obscuring, I suggest cutting down on the reflectivity of the side window just like Crizal removes reflections in eyeglasses. I am not sure if there is a window film that is clear but has a matte finish. At this point, this is a speculation.

Hank

Old 09-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #32

Hank,

I agree with your explanation of how the reflections work. I came to that conclusion when I realized that the reflections were the same images that I could see forward and to the right as I drove down the road.

It is interesting to speculate what kind of coating could be put on the inside of the driver side window that would kill the reflection. It would have to be a coating that would let the images from outside the window come through the window clearly, while still stopping the reflection. The optical coatings on camera lenses might reduce the reflection to the point that they aren't objectionable, but a really good camera lens coating on the whole window would be very expensive, I suspect. And it would be damaged by any careless cleaning of the window.

My solution works very well, and likely better than any optical coating. And, it is much cheaper.

gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #33

Wonder if the tinting used on cars down south would work. They allow you to see out something a must for us to see. Those tints are not real expensive.

Wayne
Old 09-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #34

Wayne,
I suspect that the tint would make the problem worse. It would allow less light to come from the driver mirror, but the reflection would be off the front of the polished window, and not reduced. In other words, I think that a tint works as a transmissive but not a reflective filter.

And, in a lot of jurisdictions, tinting side windows is illegal, even though it is often done. The principal is that pedestrians and other drivers should be able to look into the window of a vehicle in traffic and confirm whether the driver can see them and is giving them the right of way.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #35

Gordon
A lot of people with eye glasses have a non-glare coating of which the best one is Crizal.
Crizal Lenses | No-Glare Lenses | Clear Vision
I have seen people with Crizal and it appears to work. I'm sure we have members here that can weigh in. Of course it would be too expensive for the whole window. The most important part of the window needing reflectivity reduction is the portion you look through to the side-view mirror.
Hank
Old 09-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #36

Wayne - Tint attenuates light transmission. The surface of some tint films are very glossy. I installed an 10 inch band of tinted film at the top of my driver's side window. My window originally had tall sliders which rattled like crazy beyond 55 mph. The two sliders were capped with a tinted 10" (I believe) window which hid seeing the cabinets from the outside. I was the first in the US to get the change to the shorter sliders.

Back to your tinted film suggestion; you could have black opaque film that you can see your face reflecting in it.
Hank
Old 09-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #37

Gordon & Wayne
Take a look at this,
https://www.tspinc.com/anti-glare-vs-anti-reflective/
I ordered the sample kit for the Duravue Anti-Reflective Coating. Will update you when I get it.
Hank
Old 09-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #38

Cool thanks

Wayne
Old 09-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #39

You definitely want the anti-reflective rather than the anti-glare coating. Anti-glare seems to be like the frosted coating on photo frames. Antireflective would be similar to what is used on eyeglasses and camera lenses.

Obviously, the big issue is cost here. You can by sheet of Coroplast for under $20 and it will do all the RVs in your campsite (ie. make money....) And, the best you can hope to do with an antireflective coating is to get to the standard of having a louvre shading the window.

I'm a photographer with some expensive Canon lenses. They are as good as anybody at their anti-reflective coatings. But, when I want to control light that may foul my pictures, I get most of my results with my lens shade, which is analogous to a louvre.

I am interested to see how well the sample of anti-reflective coating works. And, what it would cost to scale it up to the size needed to cover your view of the mirror.

–cheers, Gordon
Old 09-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #40

Gordon
I hope that I get the samples, since they wanted a company name. If I do, I will let you know the results.
Hank

Tags
reflection, slide